• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rust in the chamber in another 590A1! *UPDATE WITH PIC*

Trust me i feel the pain....this was the 2nd a1 I bought with the same problem. Joe and roger took care of me this last time.
Its just crazy that they are leaving that way.

LUGI said:
Trust me i feel the pain....this was the 2nd a1 I bought with the same problem. Joe and roger took care of me this last time.
Its just crazy that they are leaving that way.

happy to hear you got it all taken care of LUGI. :)

I had this same exact problem when I first got my 590a1 back in 2009. I didnt think much of it then because after I oiled and shot a few rounds of birdshot, it was virtually all gone.

glad to hear. :)

if you read this entire thread you will see that most of the "dirt/rust" spots will come off after a few rounds and a good cleaning.
still i can't blame anyone being pissed about spending a few hundred bucks and getting something that is not up to par.

mossberg QC needs to step it up. :)

Attachments

• my-opinion.jpg
    my-opinion.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 262
cayman_shen said:
I have the exact same issue. Is there a product that will take care of it so I don't have to deal with sending the barrel back?

EDIT: Screw it, this is my shtf gun, not a museum piece. I wrapped a bit of 400 grit sandpaper around my finger and gave the spot a few swipes, then smeared metal polish on a rag and gave it a few more swipes, then oiled it. Looks great, spot's gone, and I doubt highly that I did any damage. I mean, a couple passes of fine sandpaper isn't gonna make the barrel burst or anything...right?!

Took it out and pit it through it's paces...It didn't blow up so I guess the light sanding of the chamber wasn't a huge screw up hahaha.

Took it out and pit it through it's paces...It didn't blow up so I guess the light sanding of the chamber wasn't a huge screw up hahaha.[/quote]

great to hear. sometimes it's the easy chit that works. :D

My 590a1 also has a bit of surface rust, never noticed it when I first got it (never looked for it though) there is a still a bit in there but meh I don't see how it would effect performance.

WCMTWS said:
My 590a1 also has a bit of surface rust, never noticed it when I first got it (never looked for it though) there is a still a bit in there but meh I don't see how it would effect performance.

Nobody said it would effect performance....the thing is it should NOT be on new gun, let alone a 500.00 gun!

The rust in the chamber is merely a slight surface rust. If it is not pitted, I would not worry about it. I have it on my 590A1 and if you are concerned, go get some grey (medium) Scotchbrite and a bottle of ATF from the auto parts store (ATF is a wonderful non aggressive rust cutter). Cut a small square piece that will fit under your pinky, put a couple of drops of the ATF on the Scotchbrite, and scrub the chamber like a teenage boy who just discovered masturbation (but only for about 10 seconds)...Voila! The surface rust is gone. run some patches with gun lube down the barrel and you will be done.

I had the same exact thing in mine I checked tonight when I got home. It came right out with a little Hoppe's 9 and an Otis Stainless Steel bore brush. It took about 10 minutes of scrubbing but it all came out. I then cleaned it really well and re Frog Lubed the barrel. It looks like a mirror in there now.

New guns should not be rusty, no way. I am disappointed to see Mossberg CS is not so good, and now regret buying two of these. I will probably sell them now...

Bought a new 590A1 a couple months ago (18" barrel w/ ghost ring sights). Took it home and looked in the chamber and saw this:
4KOLo5F.jpg

Two hours with a copper brush and some Birchwood Casey gun cleaner and the surface rust was mostly gone, but it was still pitted and rough. Called up Mossberg, got Angel, and he sent me out a new barrel. A day after that barrel arrived, another arrived (he accidentally doubled the order). Opened them both up and BOTH had the same chamber rust, and one had some messed up brazing on the front sight base. Called back again, and he told me to send them both back. Sent em, waited a week, and called again: He said they got them back, and talked to the "barrel guy" who said that the stuff might be a preservative (a preservative that doesn't come off after two hours of scrubbing with a wire brush and solvent?). He then said that they didn't have any more of those barrels around and recommended that I just keep and use the barrel and that I could sent it to them and they would clean it for free (clean out pitting?), and to call back "once hunting season is over". At that point I felt like I was given the runaround, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited.

Called back this Monday (13th), got Angel again, and after waiting on hold for a while he said that he couldn't find the "barrel guy" again and that he would 100% call me back later that day because he didn't want me to have to wait on hold any longer. No call came. Called back this morning (16th), got someone else who checked the system and said that a package had been sent Tuesday and that it should be here today.

The third barrel arrived this afternoon with the same rust/pitting as the original and the previous two replacements.

Everyone I've talked to said that it's NOT normal, and shouldn't be like that, but I'm starting to wonder if every A1 barrel they're shipping out has the same problem or it was just a bad run and they're pulling the replacements out of a big pile of bad ones.

I've been patient and polite about this this, but I'm getting pretty discouraged here.

My first barrel for my 590 had the brownish colored stuff in the chamber as well. It didn't bother me, as I had to send the barrel back anyway for a sight issue. The replacement they sent is spotless, no sign of the brownish stuff at all.

Now as to what I think is happening. It looks to me like Mossberg parkerizes the entire barrel, bore chamber and all and come back and hone the parkerizing out of the chamber and bore. I could be way off base here, but this is what it looks like to me as the bore and chamber have no finish in them at all, just naked steel.

The brownish stuff that we see in the chambers looks to me like alox, an excellent rust preventative. Alox is also some of the nastiest stuff ever, it dries to a glue like consistency.

Alox is good at stopping rust from forming, but it won't cure what already there.

Just my thoughts.

cutter_spc said:
My first barrel for my 590 had the brownish colored stuff in the chamber as well. It didn't bother me, as I had to send the barrel back anyway for a sight issue. The replacement they sent is spotless, no sign of the brownish stuff at all.

Now as to what I think is happening. It looks to me like Mossberg parkerizes the entire barrel, bore chamber and all and come back and hone the parkerizing out of the chamber and bore. I could be way off base here, but this is what it looks like to me as the bore and chamber have no finish in them at all, just naked steel.

The brownish stuff that we see in the chambers looks to me like alox, an excellent rust preventative. Alox is also some of the nastiest stuff ever, it dries to a glue like consistency.

Alox is good at stopping rust from forming, but it won't cure what already there.

Just my thoughts.

I think you're spot on with that analysis cutter!

And to be quite honest... I've never really understood what the big deal was in the first place. As long as there's no pitting, who can't deal with a little surface rust? Bare steel and normal atmosphere= rust... regardless of what gun/part it is.

Scrub it....clean it...lube it... shoot it. It's a darn Shotgun for crying out loud, it's meant to get dirty dinged and abused. If we wanted safe queens, we could've bought 10k over-unders...

Rant off ;)

Dont really matter what anybody thinks...its a new gun and it isnt normal, and its funny that mossberg dont care enough about the people that are buying their guns to get this crap taken care of.....and then smacks ya in the face again by sending out crap with the same problems!

Back