• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotguns: non-Mossberg

During my Mossberg teething pains I started looking for another shotgun. I discovered the VEPR! Took it out for the first time yesterday and ran about 150 rounds through it. It doesn't like the lighter loads at this point, but it improved as the day went on. I didn't have but a few full power buckshot loads, so I'll withhold judgement until I can run a suitable amount through it. The VEPR came from Classic Arms for $799 with free shipping and made/packaged in 9/13. It's a real factory built Russian Molot with all new parts. I'm actually very impressed with the VEPr and suspect it'll run fine with full power buckshot.

Last edited:
That's what I figure as well. I just ordered a case of Spartan 00 buck; that'll be the next range trip. I ordered a "short" muzzle brake for it and will probably add an extra-full choke as well. Those should provide a litttle back pressure..

Back at the range today with about 100 rounds of Spartan 00 through the VEPR. The Spartan ammo cured the short-stroking, but I experienced trigger reset issues for the first few mags. It cleared up on mag five, so I suspect crud in the FCG somewhere. Everything is painted on this thing and I'm about to break it down and start sanding and cleaning things.

I haven't had them out yet, but there's some sort of finish on them. It's not traditional bluing for sure. I'll know more when I get it out..

I changed out the guiderod, recoil spring, trigger and added a full choke and muzzle brake. It's running target loads (7-1/2) pretty good now.

I figured the title would get your attention. I'm not sure if you've seen this, but the guy is nicknaming it the Remington 1740 (870x2=1740).

Anyway, for your viewing pleasure

I like it. I'd suggest some changes to the forearm grip. Needs to be easier to manipulate the pump(s). I think he fired it with both barrels, at least once, in the second video. I'd own one...seriously (have to be Mossbergs though). :) Take care. Tom Worthington

I like the novelty of it and it would be cool to play with at a range but the dual triggers and multiple pumps would make it a but complicated and cumbersome for most hunting/defensive applications.

I'll definitely give the guy props for thinking outside the box a bit.

Now were talking, a gatling gun of any proportion has my attention. Ii don't care if it shoots rubber bands or atom bombs. LOL

I have an old Riverside Arms (Stevens) 520 that I was given a while back. I don't think it had ever been cleaned, so I looked up a video on YouTube on how to disassemble it. In the process of taking it apart the stupid lifter spring broke on me. It just snapped like a toothpick. I looked on Numrich's site and they don't have any. I've been looking on eBay and haven't had much luck there either. Today, I see a lifter spring from a 620 on there. Would a lifter spring off a 620 work on a 520? It looks like the one that broke on me. Does anyone know of any other places online that may have a Stevens 520 lifter spring?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-Stevens-M...927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46272dae77

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep that info in mind. I actually forgot about this thread. :oops: I've been preoccupied with a very stubborn weed wacker, and its cantankerous carburetor. :mad:

Stevens parts are hard to find.

Try calling Jack First Inc (if he hasn't retired yet) and see if they have what you need. He was the only place that had parts for my M79. And to be honest, I'm not entirely sure that he didn't make them his self, but after 10 years of looking for parts, he saved that gun from the scrap pile.

2 barrels, 2 7rnd tubes pumpgun.

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/first-look-the-dp-12-double-barrel-pump-shotgun/31865/

DP-12.jpg

Video:

Back