• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Show me your SOG Blades!!

I had a little issue with my Spydie Tanacious opening up in my pocket. Happened before and gave me a nasty bite awhile back that required 7 stitches when it opened in my pocket in my uniform. It has happened quite a bit since then without the injury but found the problem to be with the SPydie hole getting caught on my cuff keys and other stuff in my pockets. So I decided to get a new knife instead of trying to figure out the uniform issues. Enter the SOG Trident Tanto. And a renewed love of all things SOG has emerged.

First the obligatory pic of the blade itself.

I have SOG fixed blades and wasn't sure how if I was going to like a blade without the steel liners but this thing is pretty sweet knife. I am not a fan of the lightweight SPyderco models so this was a pleasant surprise. Pretty solid too.

Here it is with the rest of my SOG family.

Good lookin blades.

I carry CRKT m16 daily, and I turned the clip around to the side. Now the blade doesn't open up in my pocket. Is there a spot for the clip on yours to put it on the other side?

Those Tomahawks are sweet things! I have nice $15 lowes special and it is fun haha Not exactly something I would hand to a service personnel but it gets the back yard work done! :D

I bought one of the first releases of the Fasthawk.

I like mine.

It has accompanied me often.

I did rework the sheath though so I had to pull it up and out so it couldn't "slip out" if it came unbuttoned while I was walking and didn't know.

I also like the United Cutlery M48.

Speaking of which, I like their long spear as well.

But the S&W 671 tomahawk has a full tang that I think I would prefer over the Sog, but since I already have the SOG, I don't feel a need to replace it anytime soon.

Attachments

• moonbow 005.JPG
    moonbow 005.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 206
John A. said:
I also like the United Cutlery M48.

If it had a full tang, I would already have one! I know there isn't a ton of worry about the handle actually snapping or anything... or it would be all over the internet.. but it still makes me want "more" from it.

The SOG doesn't have a full tang either.

That I am aware of.. the SOG is a Fasthawk though too. Not exactly a "full" axe head on it to begin with. I know SOG has a rendition of the M48 as well but I don't think it is Full Tang either

The ones that are full tang come with a heft price but other than sharpening them... you have nothing to worry about haha

Here's a blog of the Top 10 Tommy Hawks :)

Most of the ones that are featured are full tang

http://www.brownsafe.com/blog/top-10-ta ... tomahawks/

Personally, I like the overall size of the fast hawk.

It is very wieldy and easy to swing and carry.

When I picked up the smaller version, I could've gotten the larger for just a few dollars more, but I liked the smaller just because I think it would make a better hand to hand weapon comparing the two.

It really is quick and easy to handle and use.

Tomahawks were never meant to cut forests with. If you want something that will cut trees, buy an ax.

If you want something that will cut brush going through a jungle, buy a machete.

If you want something to give you the advantage if the fighting gets up close and personal, now that's what the tomahawk was made for.

FieldPup1.JPG
FieldPup2.JPG
This is my SOG Field Pup that has accompanied me on all my backwoods adventures for the last 4 years. That and my Gerber multi-tool that I keep in the scabard pouch. This combo has seen lots of miles on logging roads, trails and boonie-bashing while out riding my motorcycle.

Last edited:
Mine...

590A1_5.jpg

^^^Nice! What's the blade length? Looks like it's had some good use. Nice shotty too!

And now I have 3 SOG blades lol. Although this ones technically a spear.

Any standard broom handle or a tree branch out in the wild in a real pinch and you've got a spear. Every time I see one of these in the store I always wanted to snag one and today this one followed me home. I'm probably going to get a really nice hard wood shop handle and paint it black to match but for now I'll have to do with my yellow mop handle lol.

The AXE fyi is an old German one. Thats for another thread that I'll post about it in later.

Old thread, but are y'all aware of where and when the SOG knife originated? Studies and Observations Group in the early '60's in 'Nam. A 'black ops' multi service unit. The original knife ( a modified bowie ) was designed to not be traceable to any specific country, metallurgicaly or otherwise.

Back