• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sighting in quick question

hunter47D

Copper BB
hey guys ive been trying to sight in a couple guns recently. i have 2 .17hmrs, a .243, and a .30-06 i need to sight in. i know all these guns will shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards. all of them have tasco scopes. my question is...if i shoot, and my shot is 3 inches to the left...do i turn the windage knob 12 clicks in the "---L--->" direction or 12 clicks opposite to the "---L--->" direction? this is really simple but i am making it complicated. part of the issue is because i have an archery background where you move the pins opposite to where youre shooting. so in archery if your group is to the right of the bulls eye you move the pin to the left. anyways thanks for helping me

The easiest way I know to sight in a gun is moving the sight to the point of impact. So if you are aiming at dead center, and the hole is to the left, you move the sight to the left. If you are aiming dead center and it is low, you move your sight down. Now as far as the "Clicks" it depends on what the clicks equal on the scope. In your case, if the click is 1/4" at 100 yards, and you are actually sighting in at 100 yards, then yes 12 clicks should get you close.

I try to use a bench to sight in my guns. Set it up in the bench, sighted dead center at 100 yards, fire three rounds. Then with out moving the gun, I adjust the sights to where the holes are punched. Usually have it dead on very quickly.

Hope it helps.

Frank

^ Excellent advice!

Easiest way to do it by far. Using this method I'm able to zero my optioc in three shots or less...

You can fire one round, let the crosshairs where you aimed, and adjust the scope to the hole. There's a pretty good vid that explains and shows it. It's what I do most of the time

Back