• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

small game in MI

hey how many of you are small game hunters in Michigan I am and the season just opened on Sunday

I was wondering what you might have gotten so far and what you used to get it

I will start I have been out 3 times so far missed the first few squirrels I shot at with my new moss 500 (still getting used to it) but got a nice squirrel tonight and already ate it

I have not been out yet. I usually mix a little in during down time deer hunting. Primarily grouse and the occasional squirrel. I enjoy hunting the rabbits and hares as well but prefer to wait til it colder and have fresh snow for tracking as I don't have hunting dogs.

Don't have a specific gun I just grab a different one each time out usually. My 870 and my old single shot 20g have taken a fair share of game over the years. My 500c took a few last year. For loads I prefer 5 or 6's as they tend to penetrate the feathers more. I've been told this is overkill but I've had too many just get up and walk it off when using smaller shot. I swear feathers are natures Kevlar. LOL

For squirrel and rabbit the 22lr is my gun of choice, though the shotgun has been used as well. Somewhere here is a pic of a squirrel I took last year with a 22lr pistol.

While I don't hunt them specifically in the fall, I usually pick up a turkey tag and carry a call in my pack just in case the opportunity presents itself. They are harder in the fall IMHO; they will respond to a call but they will not come running like they do in the spring. Sometime a loner will come in if he is looking for his flock. Most of the time it's just being in the right place at the right time.

I am up to 2 squirrels for the season now and archery dear starts on oct 1 at which time the bow will come out for them till I get them and small game continues

Squirrel numbers are really low in my area this year.

I think the extra rain this year has hurt. Many of the nuts I have seen laying around are bad inside of them and hollow in the center.

I'm much farther south of Michigan though.

I agree I have not been seeing many squirrels this year I live in flint area myself

I know I have been seeing tons more dear signs this year then I did last year

He see's you,,,,,,

Attachments

• he see's you..jpg
    he see's you..jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 103
MikeGrouse640_zps5547e0c3.jpg

Ruffed Grouse taken with my 930. The open choke 18.5" barrel works much better in thick cover than the 28" field barrel.

Back