• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Some initial impressions and a few ??'s

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I'd have to agree with oli there.

An individual's size won't affect the force of recoil itself, but body mass certainly has to be taken into account when talking about 'perceived recoil'. It's simple physics. A given amount of energy will move a smaller, lighter object further than one with more mass. The amount of energy being returned to the shoulder is constant, but the weight of the shooter will certainly have an ultimate effect on the individual's ability to absorb it.

That said, there are certainly effective techniques that enable smaller shooters to better handle recoil. Squaring up on the gun, push-pull technique, etc. all help level the playing field.

I could see how "perceived" recoil might be less. But actual recoil will not be.

Ok now is the time to think....you said weight has nothing to do with being able to take recoil....it does, end of story. Weight and mass have something to do with taking recoil ...actual, perceived, and imaginary. Now ones threshold for recoil discomfort or pain has nothing to do with ones size because one can be big and still a recoil sissy or just a big whinny sissy in general.

tnxdshooter said:
I could see how "perceived" recoil might be less. But actual recoil will not be.

Being that recoil is understood to be the backward momentum of the firearm subsequent to discharge I think we're talking apples to oranges here. Body mass will affect a shooter's inertia, but to your point will not change the amount force generated by discharge. I don't think anyone's suggesting that a person's body mass or shooting technique will somehow alter the blast pressure, but a shooter with a larger mass will most definiely absorb and slow the rearward momentum of the firearm more easily that a smaller shooter thereby having a direct effect on actual, physical recoil. Case in point, place a firearm with the butt snugged up against a brick wall and pull the trigger. The force generated by the discharge will be no different than a shot fired from the shoulder, but there will be virtually zero recoil as the firearm is not physically allowed to travel backward. The wall's higher level of resistance to the rearward motion is directly proportionate to its greater mass.

oli700 said:
Ok now is the time to think....you said weight has nothing to do with being able to take recoil....it does, end of story. Weight and mass have something to do with taking recoil ...actual, perceived, and imaginary. Now ones threshold for recoil discomfort or pain has nothing to do with ones size because one can be big and still a recoil sissy or just a big whinny sissy in general.

True. I am far from a whiney sissy and I have a high threshold for pain.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Granted measured recoil is just that. An example: 12 gauge, 2.75" (1 1/4 at 1330), gun weight 7.5#, recoil in ft/lbs 32.0. While measured recoil maybe "attenuated" by a larger mass, the density of the mass matters too. An example would be to put the butt of a shotgun up against a 100 pound block of steel and then a 100 pound bale of hay and shoot. In and of it's self, it's a moot point. Subjective recoil of the shooter is what really counts. There are variables in that too. Stance, hold, stock dimensions and mind set. It's similar to someone talking about "room temperature" when talking comfort. What IS room temperature? It varies from room to room, house to house and person to person. One persons comfort maybe to hot or cold for someone else. IMHO, there are just to many variables to give one definitive answer. Lots of trial and error are the only way a particular shooter will find what works for him or her.

A Rifle Recoil Calculator & Info On Recoil

Kodiak said:
Granted measured recoil is just that. An example: 12 gauge, 2.75" (1 1/4 at 1330), gun weight 7.5#, recoil in ft/lbs 32.0. While measured recoil maybe "attenuated" by a larger mass, the density of the mass matters too. An example would be to put the butt of a shotgun up against a 100 pound block of steel and then a 100 pound bale of hay and shoot. In and of it's self, it's a moot point. Subjective recoil of the shooter is what really counts. There are variables in that too. Stance, hold, stock dimensions and mind set. It's similar to someone talking about "room temperature" when talking comfort. What IS room temperature? It varies from room to room, house to house and person to person. One persons comfort maybe to hot or cold for someone else. IMHO, there are just to many variables to give one definitive answer. Lots of trial and error are the only way a particular shooter will find what works for him or her.

A Rifle Recoil Calculator & Info On Recoil

Amen!

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Weight is NOT (should not) be what keeps the Shotgun from bruising you.

Square up.
Prop your back leg out behind you like a Kickstand.
Drop your shooting hand's Elbow.
Arch that shoulder forward into the Butt and plant the Butt more over your Pec.

If you are doing a tensed up pushing and Pulling you will have a few problems.
Your recoil will tend to pop sideways instead of your sights rising.
You will have a hard time doing follow up shots.
You will have a hard time transitioning to multiple targets.

I am practicing A LOT with Dryfire.
You need to be able to instinctively get a good solid mount every time.

I left something out....
SHUT YOUR MOUTH!
I was doing rapid fire with Buckshot and got my Teeth rattled.
Won't do that again

Regarding stance and how the gun is held affecting recoil, check out this video. This is a 12 year old girl firing a 590A1 with Hornady buckshot.

Youll notice she leans forward and one foot is back, the elbow of the dominant hand could be down more, and she is as squared up with the gun as she can be for under 5' tall and less than 100 lbs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNq_Pv-aKUY[/youtube]

Well I am glad I at least got a good conversation going with my first post. Me and the boys have some work to do on our shooting stances. Time and lots of rounds will help that out and it's all good fun.

Sadly, no shooting this weekend.

Haha yup, we're an active bunch around here! Sad you don't get to shoot this weekend. We all have one thing or another to work on when it comes to shooting. Keep us posted on your progress and if you decide to switch up stocks...

Yep! Let us no how it goes!

The change of stock to something shorter, or something adjustable can make a world of difference for you and the boys!

When I first started with a Mossberg pump it was a second hand model 500, and I found that pulling back on the slide as part of the shooting stance meant that I started cycling the action as soon as the shot went. The downside was a bruised shoulder [a Practical match could run to 150 rounds 32gm #5 birdshot].
After I bought a 590 I found that using that stance kept the gun locked, and I had to relax my grip before the action could be cycled. I then did some research and read up on the "push/pull" technique [whereby your support arm acts like a shock absorber, as it is pushing forwards on the slide]. It made such a difference! The 590 functioned flawlessly and I no longer suffer any bruising, whether it be with birdshot, buckshot or slug. [I am 5'8", weigh 165 pounds so am only of average build].

After a couple hundred more slugs I have adjusted my stance and pay close attention to where I keep the buttpad. The limbsaver sure helps, but no more painful shoulder and bruised bicep. I still have some more to learn though.

I let a lot of folks shoot the 590A1 and they all admire it's power, short barrel, sights, and how accurate it is blowing a 437 grain slug out there at 50-60 yards. I even do OK shooting clays with the ghost rings!!

My oldest son has really taken to shooting. might have to get him a bantam for the clays, but he has no qualms about shooting the A1 any more with low brass birdshot.

Flux, thats awesome man!

I appreciate ya keepin us updated with how its goin, and also shootin with your son! Thats sweet!

I got a bit sidetracked as I put together an AR, but the mossberg always goes to the range!! After bumping into a lot of other folks with different HD and tactical shotguns, I still think I made the right choice other than considering an autoloader. But then I would have to choosey about the loads I use.

Once the days get longer I can get to a proper range and really work on my accuracy, we've been shooting in the woods with no benches and such so it's all offhand and best guess at the yardages. I think my oldest is going to be a great shot. he's got good eyes and is patient, he does really well with the 22 with open sights at 70+yards.

Back