• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The troubled history but bright future of the 930 SPX

I'm in 930 SPX

Just placed an order with Buds gun shop for a 930 spx regular stock model.

Seemed like a great price at $585.

Went back and forth with the pistol grip and I ended up going with the original stock.

Now the waiting game.... ugh :)

Thanks everyone for their help and answering my silly questions,

Water Monkey

Re: I'm in 930 SPX

Congratulations, you are going to love your 930!

Re: team 930 spx

Congrats on the new SPX, welcome to the fold. Now you know you have to post a pic for the whole world to see.

930 SPX questions

So I'm looking at getting a 930 SPX and I had some questions. What should I look for when purchasing a NEW 930 SPX? Is there different barrel lengths? Isn't there a special edition SPX? Help me out here guys!

Re: 930 SPX questions

In the 930 section there is a very good thread with what to inspect if you do buy one.
But, for the rest of questions you would have to tell us what your usage will be before barrel length, etc. can be answered correctly?

MossLvR said:
In the 930 section there is a very good thread with what to inspect if you do buy one.
But, for the rest of questions you would have to tell us what your usage will be before barrel length, etc. can be answered correctly?
Isn't this the 930 section? I'm a new guy and I'm not sure if this is the 930 SPX section. Anyway, my usage for this will be home defense.

I've been researching this gun for a few weeks and "pulled the trigger" last night. Just waiting for the gun to ship to me. Here's a quick run down of what I figured out:

There's a number of choices when looking at the 930 SPX it really depends on what you are looking for.

All SPX models come with an 18.5" barrel

There is a Blackwater edition but from my research the differences are as follows:

A more robust charging handle
reduced ghost sights and the front sight is a white (as opposed to fiber optic red)
Buttstock w/ pistol grip is standard
Blackwater Logo (which apparently makes it cost more)

Other than that it seems the Blackwater edition functions the same way as the other SPX shotguns.

Seems some SPX models all don't have a 7+1 capacity (7 in the magazine plus one in the chamber). So if you want a lot of rounds you have make sure it's the extended magazine. You can also purchase an extended magazine from Nordic components.

If you decide you also want to take the gun hunting you can purchase another barrel as all 930 barrels will fit with the 930 SPX. Some have also said you can use the 930 SPX cylinder barrel to shoot rifled slugs for deer hunting so you wouldn't need another barrel for deer or other large game. However, for foul you would need a choke tube (to make your pellet shots group over a longer distance) so it would probably be easier to buy another barrel which is threaded to accept choke tubes.

Here's a simple run down on choke tubes if you are unfamiliar (as I was):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0_gskxNzTQ

You could also purchase the SPX Home Security/Field Combo to save yourself some money on getting another barrel for hunting but the magazine only holds 4 + 1 in the chamber (I believe).

There have been some problems early on in the 930 SPX's launch which is what one poster is referring you to the thread. But it seems the positive responses greatly out weigh the negative responses on this shotgun.

Take your time reading all the stickies on this board it will really familiarize you with this particular shotgun. This place really helped me gain a strong understanding of this shotgun and helped me decide what exactly I wanted from this shotgun and how to obtain any additional accessories.

Hope this helps,

Water Monkey

Found a great deal on 930SPX #85360

at WholesaleHunter.com. Used my credit card and paid $577.82 plus ship/ins. Should be delivered to my FFL Wednesday. Can't wait............delivered $598.82. I've read a couple threads mentioning they were hard to find, hope this helps someone looking.

.......Regards 8sm

Re: Found a great deal on 930SPX #85360

well it's here, brand spank'in new 930 SPX including straight front sight and extension, larger charge handle and front sling ring. Looking forward to shooting it Sunday. With a few reads but no responses.....perhaps the buy was not so great a deal. I would buy from them again.

.................regards 8sm

Congratulations on your new 930SPX and as you stated they can be quite hard to find even online. Let us know how it shoots and be sure to post up some pictures and video if you can.

Love my SPX only six months old I already I have around 600 trouble free shell through the gun. What I did after getting the 930 SPX home was to give it a good cleaning. Then I went to Wal-Mart and bought a box of their Remington low brass 100 shell value pack, a box (25 shells) of high brass hunting loads and a box (15 shells) of 00 buck). Went to the range and started with the high brass hunting loads, then the 00 buck and finished with the low brass but I only put two boxes (50 shells) through the gun. Thought I would save the other two boxes for another time. One of the best things about the 930 SPX is how it loves the less expensive low brass stuff. Good luck and keep us informed especially with your first range report.

Thanks for the tips on the ammo, you saved me some searching. I'll gather up the camera's and get going on the photos and video asap. Thanks for the response.........regards 8sm

Can't wait to shoot it Sunday, I would have gladly paid more for it and not look back. I was OWL eyed when I found it and the price sealed the deal for sure. Thanks for the comments.

BTW I just added the NC Mossberg barrel clamp and 1.5in rail from Cactus Tactical. The color/texture and fit is perfect, looks OEM. Highly recommend it.

On another note..... my comments regarding " Found a deal on a 930 SPX " where originally a thread of its own. Took some searching but I finally found it buried within this thread. Did I do sometime wrong to have it removed/moved? Don't get me wrong it certainly fits the thread but was surprised not to find it where I had last seen it.

The 930 operated flawlessly with 400 rounds Federal 2 3/4, 1145fps, 8shot. With the exception of the first 2 shells of Remington Nitro Mag 2 3/4 1300fps which jammed then rounds 3 thur 25 continue flawlessly to impress all watching. So much so, a couple of guys mentioned they were buying one tomorrow. I was so impressed at how rapid the 930 operated. I love this shotgun.

When I figure out how to post pictures and videos to this forum, I'll share.

regards........... 8sm

Finally got a chance to get my transfer at my local dealer. Front sight not canted, a little wiggle in the trigger assembly when not cocked but when cocked it is sturdy, It loads 7 in the magazine of 2 3/4 federal high brass #6 shot. Gonna take her apart tonight and see if she's gunked up from the factory (I've read some guns come really greased up) and probably give her a cleaning.

Got about 75 rounds of high brass, 25 rounds of cheapo bird shot, 15 rounds of slugs, and 10 rounds of 00 buck. Gonna put her through the paces this week.

Back