• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Thinking of another Form 1 suppressor

OK, still no paperwork but I don't want to start another topic for this post so I'll add it here since it is somewhat on topic, but I was able to get started turning a barrel down that I've wanted to suppress for quite some time. And if anyone needs to ask, yes I am enjoying this lathe.

I'm not going to finish threading it tonight, but with any luck, the next few days I'll get time to put some threads on it and blue it to match the rest of the barrel.

Since the lathe just has a 12 inch bed, I was able to put the barreled receiver through the spindle to make life easier instead of taking the barrel off and then timing it back and all that goes along with that.

Keeping the piece so close to the chuck also assures less runout than if it was installed the entire length between centers on a larger lathe.

Independance day picnic 026.JPG

The barrel is tapered and it took several passes to take off some material about half way back in the area that I was going to thread so it didn't bind my cutter and then a couple of passes the entire length of the cut getting down to the needed .497" diameter.

Independance day picnic 027.JPG

ATF E-Forms was having issue last night and completely down today.

I ended up completing my forms manually and mailing them just under the wire. Yes I need to do something about my procrastination.

Seemed too easy to fill out the forms, hope I dotted all my i's properly.

Glad you got the paperwork off in time Mike. With any luck, you'll get a nice Christmas present ;)

Thanks Caddman. It's nothing fancy, but it does work pretty good. Roy only used it a few times so other than it sitting in his shop for several years, it's in mostly new condition. Since the photo above, I have changed the chuck to a larger diameter (jaw and spindle) so I can accommodate more than little 22 barrels. I also have discovered that Grizzly G8688 lathe parts are interchangeable with it in case I have anything go down on it.

I am considering applying for a design that I've had in my head for a while that is a hybrid integral/reflex suppressor for the 300 blackout to get the most suppression out of it as I know how.

The more gas that is ported and held over the barrel initially is less gas in the blast chamber and less gas the suppressor has to mitigate all at once and should be more quiet overall. If I do decide to do that, I will be pushing the lathe more to its' mechanical limits.

I would be falling back somewhat on the old ww2 Delisle design, but with several changes that I think would work better in directing gas away from the suppressor bore exit.

savage barrel threading 005.JPG

Glad you got the paperwork off in time Mike. With any luck, you'll get a nice Christmas present ;)

I'm just hoping to have something approved and built by next hunting season. :sniper:

I ended up submitting 2 form 1's for suppressors and 1 for an SBR. My employment situation has become somewhat unstable so I did not purchase the Liberty suppressors I had planned on. I had the paperwork money set aside, this way I still got the forms filed but deferred some of the expense. I plan on one dedicated to 22 and another in 9mm/.30cal for use on multiple guns.

I just hope I didn't screw something up. Hopefully any mistake I may have made will be addressed as something I can correct and not a rejection. I looked everything over multiple times before sticking it in the envelope and mailing it out.

@John A. Thanks for the information and advice you gave me!! :thanks:

Just glad to be able to help. Though I know little about trusts and things so unfortunately I'm not much help there.

As for having it approved by hunting season this year, I kinda doubt it. It's coming up fast. Next years season should be no problem.

22 and 9mm is pretty easy to suppress. Especially when using subs.

Building the 9 with stronger internals for rifle calibers is as easy as doing it with steel as it is with aluminum. Just don't go all gorilla crazy with super thick (.065) steel like I did on my first suppressor. While I did it with the upmost safety in mind, it's over-kill and unnecessarily heavy. Learn from my mistake.

The 22 suppressor, you could do out of all 6061 or 7075 and be light and effective at the same time.

Rifle cal's have a lot of heat and erosion and pressure so stronger materials are needed for that.

Just glad to be able to help. Though I know little about trusts and things so unfortunately I'm not much help there.

As for having it approved by hunting season this year, I kinda doubt it. It's coming up fast. Next years season should be no problem.

22 and 9mm is pretty easy to suppress. Especially when using subs.

Building the 9 with stronger internals for rifle calibers is as easy as doing it with steel as it is with aluminum. Just don't go all gorilla crazy with super thick (.065) steel like I did on my first suppressor. While I did it with the upmost safety in mind, it's over-kill and unnecessarily heavy. Learn from my mistake.

The 22 suppressor, you could do out of all 6061 or 7075 and be light and effective at the same time.

Rifle cal's have a lot of heat and erosion and pressure so stronger materials are needed for that.
I meant next years hunting season.

Was thinking of going titanium but need to do more research. Looking to keep it under 8" OAL.

Honestly using on a 22lr is my primary goal. But if I can easily build it up to withstand bigger calibers that will be a bonus.

I do not have access to any type of machining tools so I will most likely be working on some type of solvent trap design or other kit or part combination.

But maybe I will luck into something. Always looking for opportunities and to increase my skill.

Next year should be no-problem-o.

Titanium is expensive. But since this is a one shot deal, you may as well go with what makes you the happiest. It's not like you get any "do-overs". The suppressor that I mentioned above that I am considering making, would have a Ti tube if I do it. Or at least the front part of it would be Ti.

I like Ti's strength/weight ratio (up to about 800 degree's--though you would never want to run one even that hot) and relatively light weight for outer tubing, but where rifle calibers are concerned, I think steel is better for the baffles themselves. For the main reason, Titanium is one of the primary ingredients in sparklers. When a gun is fired and if you have Titanium baffles, there are many instances where you'll get a lot of sparks coming out of your can because the heat/flash erodes the baffles some each time it's fired.

I'm sure anyone would be able to find videos of sparking silencers on youtube if you took the time to look. Here's one that you can see the flash even in the daylight portion of the video, but you can REALLY see the flash if you forward to 1:00. Someone in the background does say a bad word near that time if you are at work or around kids.

Like I said, for outer tubing and even the rear endcap trying to keep the weight down, Ti is great. But not necessarily great for baffles.

We're just getting started.

What'cha waiting on Oli?

Come on in.

The water's fine ;)

Thanks for the insight. Yes I was only looking at Ti for the tube and possibly end caps.

Why leeway do we have to test different configurations before finalizing our design, by the way the laws work it does not sound like you can do much but design and stamp an end product as testing something without the stamp is illegal and once it's official you cannot modify it?

You can arrange and re-arrange the baffles as often and any time you like. As for rebuilding in part or even entirely, they are not too keen on that idea. I think they want a licensed manufacturer to do that because they regulate each suppressor part (baffles) as an individual suppressor theirself and you're not a licensed manufacturer. You're just licensed to make a single (one) suppressor so having spare parts laying around would be a bad idea.

The only exception that I know to that I know of is a replaceable wipe, which you're not going to use.

That's why it's so important to do your homework. silencertalk forum has a "silencersmithing" section that has a lot of photos and videos and the likes of good suppressor designs. And a couple of really good members with manufacturing licenses that pop in occasionally and are good to bounce idea's off of.

Oh yeah, my stamp came today so I will be making shavings right after this post. Feb. 24 to July 8 is when they signed it and in hand today. I would've gotten it back a week or two ago if I hadn't goofed up my form but I can't blame them for that. Sounds like everyone has bogged down the eform system and with not so many people applying in paper doesn't have as much of a backlog so it looks like you made the right decision to mail yours old school.

shadow%20001_zpshdh9nt9k.jpg

Still more to do. But she's coming together and starting to take shape now.

You know you've either accomplished something or tore it up beyond all recognition when you fill up a box of scrap.

lathe chips 002.JPG

Came in under 24 ounces as I had tried to accomplish.

Perhaps some video this weekend if anyone is interested in how it sounds.

Daaaaaaaammmmmm John. Fine machine work. I envy your skills.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Awesome work. Can I come over and follow your blueprint? LOL

Thanks dieselmudder. I appreciate the compliment but the machines did all the work.

MikeD, you most certainly can, but you may want to see how it sounds first. With how my luck goes sometimes, it may make it louder. LOL

All I have left to do is the bore holes in the baffles and I might have that done by this evening after supper because I'm taking a long break and may get to test it maybe late this evening or tomorrow sometime depending on how I feel.

It's done and test fired. I gave it the all clear.

And despite it being shorter and more narrow and half the weight of my first suppressor, it's still almost as quiet, so I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Quick video if anyone wants to listen to how it sounds. (pardon the gong noise). I probably should've just shot it into the backstop, but I wanted to make sure the POI/POA was where it should be and give it a fair run to see how it handles on its' maiden voyage.

Thank you buddy.

I'm looking forward to the next.

Now that the new reg's officially take effect today, I'm going to try to get the newest updated version of the forms that doesn't require the chief LEO signature. Though I have no idea what is acceptable means of "notifying" them. Even NFA branch doesn't know and I called and asked them 3 weeks ago.

Back