• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Travel: Where have you been; where are you going?

I do some traveling, But its usually within a day or two drive, I don't fly very often, I just got back from a 4 day trip to the San Rafael Swell in Central Utah, We led a group for an overnighter during Cruise Moab, Its similar to the Easter Jeep Safari, But for Toyotas, Most of my travels are for offroading and camping.
Our family did fly out to Disneyland last Oct. for Halloween(I won an trip)

5135500741_747a768afb_z.jpg

and the next weekend we drove back to Cali for a little R&R at Pismo Beach.

5160263020_0a20dc19ff_z.jpg

I agree on the Disneyland/World masses, But its fun for the kids, Funny sidenote, If you have a disability at Disney, Some rides have a way you can get to the front of the line quicker, 2 Disney World and 1 Disneyland trip later we finally find this out... I kept telling my son we need to use our powers for good not evil.

Interesting read all, Thanks.

VitSports6 said:
I kept telling my son we need to use our powers for good not evil.

lol! I have to tell my son the same thing all the time!

Im headed back to Dubai in June :cool:
Was in Kazakhstan in January (insert shivering smilie)
Egypt in October
Qatar in September
couple trips to Houston in the mix.
prior to that it was a couple years at home.
Uk, Singapore, Norway, Indonesia, Germany, Malaysia, Holland, Brunei, Japan, and probably somewhere else, but I dont have my passport handy to remind me.

Well, I have been a lot of places in the US but they included wrestling as a competitor, coaching, and for fun.

Thus far I have been to the following states with wrestling:
OK (live here, does that count :roll: )
TX, MO, KS, CO, NV, ND, DE, IL, OH, NJ, LA, PA, IN, D.C., IA, MD, VA,

For other:
OK (once again because I live here)
TX, NM, CO, NV, KS, NE, SD, ND, LA, AR, MO, IL, WI, IN, OH, PA, NJ, MA, VA, MS, KY, TN, DE D.C., IA, MD, WV

Thus far my favorite places have been:
Bowling Green, KY
Boston, MA
Washington D.C.
Philly, PA
Atlantic City, NJ
Chicago, IL
Questa, NM
northwest AR

So I'm at Laguardia in NY, ready to fly back home from the latest business trip. Going through security I see a TSA team searching through an open suitcase some guy was trying to get through as carry-on. As I passed by I saw a chordless power drill, a handheld rotary saw, about fifty feet of copper wiring, extenstion chords, paint brushes and other painting implements, and a host of random screwdrivers and tools. This was all stuffed into a regular SUITCASE that he was trying to carry onboard a plane!

I could not believe my eyes. Everyone was calm and reacting as if it were just a BIG mistake in judgement. Either this guy's been living under a rock for the last ten years or he's a complete moron. That kinda thing could end up sending the airport into lockdown.

Some people!

My son would like to visit Canada this summer. I've been to Toronto a couple times on business, but that's about it. Anyone have any recommendations?

Re: My travels

I travel quite extensively for the DoD during my 32 years of service...my job was Cyber Security, ie IT Intrusion Detection / Prevention with the purpose of safeguarding data at Army, Marine, and Navy installations CONUS. I kept a running list of my 37 state tour...(gotta love TDY per diem)

Alabama
Anniston Army Depot
Fort McClellan
Redstone Arsenal

Alaska
Fort Richardson

Arizona
Fort Huachuca
Yuma Proving Ground

Arkansas
Fort Chaffee
Pine Bluff Arsenal

California
Coronado Naval Base
China Lake Naval Air Weapons Station
MCAG 29 Palms
MCAS Miramar
MCRD San Diego
Fort Irwin
Camp Pendleton
Fort Ord
Presidio of Monterey
Presidio of San Francisco
Sacramento Army Depot
Sharpe Army Depot
Tracy Army Depot

Colorado
Fort Carson
Rocky Mountain Arsenal

Connecticut
Groton Naval Submarine Base

Delaware
Patuxent River Naval Air Station

Florida
Jacksonville NAS
Pennsacola NAS
Key West NAS

Georgia
Kings Bay Naval Sub Base
Fort Benning
Fort McPherson

Illinois
Fort Sheridan
Rock Island Arsenal

Iowa
Fort Des Moines
Iowa Army Ammunition Plant

Kansas
Fort Leavenworth
Fort Riley

Kentucky
Fort Campbell
Fort Knox
Blue Grass Army Depot

Louisiana
New Orleans NASJRB

Maryland
Aberdeen Proving Ground
Fort Detrick
Fort George G. Meade

Massachusetts
Fort Devens
Natick Army Soldiers Systems Center

Michigan
Fort Custer

Minnesota
Fort Snelling (ARNG)

Missouri
Fort Leonard Wood
Fort Osage

Montana
Fort William Henry Harrison
Fort Missoula

Nebraska
Fort Robinson
Sioux Army Depot

Nevada
Fallon NAS
Hawthorne Army Ammunition Depot

New Jersey
Fort Dix (Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst )
Fort Monmouth
Picatinny Arsenal

New Mexico
Fort Union
Los Alamos Demolition Range
White Sands Missile Range

New York
Fort Drum
Fort Hamilton
Fort Niagara
Seneca Army Depot
United States Military Academy (West Point)

North Carolina
MCAS Cherry Point
MCAS Camp Lejeune
Fort Bragg
Fort Fisher
Pope Army Airfield

Ohio
Camp Perry (ARNG)
Erie Proving Ground
Fort Hayes

Oklahoma
Fort Sill
McAlester Army Ammunition Plant

Pennsylvania
Willow Grove NASJRB
Carlisle Barracks
Fort Indiantown Gap (ARNG)
Harrisburg Military Post (ARNG)
Letterkenny Army Depot
New Cumberland Army Depot
Tobyhanna Army Depot

Rhode Island
New Port Naval Station

South Carolina
MCRD Parris Island
Fort Jackson

South Dakota
Fort Meade

Texas
Corpus Christi NAS
Fort Worth
Fort Bliss
Fort Brown
Fort Clark
Fort Hood
Fort Sam Houston
Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant
Ingleside Army Depot/Naval Station
Red River Army Depot

Utah
Dugway Proving Ground
Tooele Army Depot

Virginia
Norfolk Naval Station
Oceana NAS
Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base
MCB Quantico
Fort A.P. Hill
Fort Belvoir
Fort Eustis
Fort Lee
Fort Monroe
Fort Myer
Fort Pickett

Washington
Fort Columbia
Fort Lewis
Mount Rainier Ordnance Depot
Fort Vancouver
Vancouver Barracks
Fort Worden
Yakima Training Center

Hey Shooter,

Appreciate all the hard work and nights away from home. Looks like you put a few miles in huh?

World's tallest towers reside there, right ?! Get a chance to hit the observation decks ?

lightingstrike.jpg

Mudinyeri said:
My son would like to visit Canada this summer. I've been to Toronto a couple times on business, but that's about it. Anyone have any recommendations?

One word .... Edmonton! One of the best cities ever. Don't get me wrong, Chicago is like my second home, but Edmonton is where its at. One of the worlds largest malls complete with indoor water parks (yes, plural), some of the best bars, and the ladies arn't to bad on the eyes either. :lol: Have quite a few frinds up that way and I try to get up that way whenever funds allow. Keep in mind that while you don't need a us passport to leave the country, you do need it to get back in. TSA and Border Patrol :roll:

Wow, I enjoyed all the reading in this post, some of you are great writers (funny and informative). I don't have too much under my belt. My parents couldn't really afford vacations so to speak when we were growing up. I was born in Houston, TX but grew up all of my life in Mountain Home, Arkansas. Beautiful place, I didn't know that until I left though. I lived near Branson, MO. I also lived minutes from two large lakes (Bull Shoals Lake and Norfork Lake)...they were beautiful too, and again, I didn't know it until I came to TX and saw the lakes here ;) I also lived near the White River which is one of the best rivers for fishing and it attracted a ton of tourists. Also nearby where I lived was the Blanchard Springs Caverns, the largest living cavern. Very cool to go to that many times, I forget how far underground it was but you had to take an elevator. I've also camped near there a million times. Now, onto when I moved to TX, I was 23 and had never flown or barely ever been on an overpass before. LOL. My first plane ride was to Las Vegas for work (I was a Dental Assistant for 10 years before staying at home). I went there twice, it would have been much more fun had I not gone with my boss and coworkers. I'd love to go back for fun and without coworkers. I also went on a cruise to Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, and Florida. It was pretty fun except the hurricaine Katrina water.... everyone on the boat was ill and they had to empty the pools of water, etc. until we got out in clear water. Other than that, I got married in Austin, TX at Chapel Dulcinea, awesome outside type structure overhanging the side of a mountain. It was gorgeous. I would love to do more traveling some day, maybe when my kiddos get older and I can do it financially! I've been a few places in between, but nothing I'd call a vacation. My husband would love to go lots of places.... England, Montana, France, and anywhere with lots of wilderness and open water. One day hopefully :)

I've made 48 states, 32 countries and 5 continents, all of Mexico and Canada, Haven't made it to the far east or too much in the southern hemisphere. Want to go to Perth someday and wouldn't mind going to work for a day at McMurdo so long as it was the day shift.

Absolutely the best vacation ever was getting all packed up with plenty of supplies and time, then going out on the deck and spinning the bottle to see which way we would go. Ended up doing the Oregon Trail. Try running up Independence Rock. I raced my step son to the top and won. There was a place at the top where you can sit and recover from the heart attack.

In all my travels, no matter if it was work or pleasure, I have tried to treat myself to what the area and people have to offer, not leaving behind any hard feelings or foot prints, because sometime I might want to go back and also don't want to mess it up for the next visitor.

I didn't like England, too wet.
Russia wasn't near what I expected, much better.
Some European smaller towns were quite pleasurable.
Rode some camels at the pyramids when you still could.
Played for a month in the jungles of South America.
Was in a plane crash in the Arctic Circle in the winter and got stuck a Goose Bay for a few weeks.
Loved Germany.
Like Holland and France was OK.

I keep thinking someday I will make it to one or several islands in the South Pacific, where grass skirts and grass huts is as good as it gets. Until then I'm dug in at the Kat Ranch here in Texas.

I like SE Asia.
Agreed Germany and Holland are nice places. I like Norway better tho.
England acts like an over socialized America...

Ive made 4 continents in the last year. I might have to go to Brazil that will make my fifth continent this year.

oh man... all these posts of where you all went makes my little journey driving from ct to ca and back feel miniscule. i wish i had the opportunity to do even a smidgen of that. thank you for posting up. it's interesting to know where people go and why they went there.

Back