• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Two students shot, wounded at Texas middle school

J.L.

.270 WIN
This happened not too far from where I live. When something like this happens, I am reminded, that I am responsible for every bullet that comes out of the barrel of my guns. Also, accidents can happen. On the other side of town there is a outdoor gun range next door to a school. They have not had any problems, or accidents with bullets hitting the school. I often questioned the sanity of whomever approved building the school next to a gun range. I hope these kids pull through.http://news.yahoo.com/2-students-shot-wounded-texas-middle-school-005252364.html

That's just stupidity on whoevers part. NEVER SHOOT AT A BUILDING. The guy who shot it shouldve known what's past his target.....string em up I say.

I agree. A shooter should now what is beyond his target and the capabilities of his equipment.

Just read the story...and it seems to me that "hunters" on an adjacent farm were to blame, not the outdoor range you cite as an example ( other side of town ? ). Also, the school has had problems with gangs, but for some reason that pretense was ruled out.

But, as others have said...always know what's behind your target !

SHOOTER13 said:
Just read the story...and it seems to me that "hunters" on an adjacent farm were to blame, not the outdoor range you cite as an example ( other side of town ? ). Also, the school has had problems with gangs, but for some reason that pretense was ruled out.

But, as others have said...always know what's behind your target !

I don't think he was saying the range was the issue, he was just commenting that there was one next door to a school across town and how he thought that was a bad idea. I don't think the two were meant to be connected...

Or am I wrong JL?

You are correct Rip. They are not connected. The local news is saying that 3 people were detained and 2 were released. The one that remains in detention is an illegal alien (poaching). Two shooters claim they were sighting in their rifles. One suspect claims to have shot at a javelina/peccary. There is no mention on how the illegal alien got his hands on a high powered rifle or if the javelina was retrieved. All three claim to have been shooting in the direction of the school.

A follow up story also states that they are going to be doing rifling tests to try and match the projectile to the three hunters rifles.

Wow!

What's the old saying, "There's nothing more deadly than a Marine with his rifle"?

It would appear that a dumbass with a high powered rifle is just as dangerous, let alone three dumbasses with high powered rifles. I really hope these kids pull through and they figure out which dumbass is at fault. What a shame.

Here is an update:
The two kids will survive, but one has so far lost the use of his legs. The bullet will remain logged next to his spinal cord. My prayers are with them.

The police suspect the bullets came from the two guys sighting in their rifles from one mile away.
The Texas legislators are putting a plan together to outlaw the discharge of any weapons within a 3 mile radius of any school.
What do you guys think?

I don't like that option. The bottom line is that the discharge of the weapon was not the reason for the incident, it is the negligence on part of the people shooting to provide (or hit) an adequate backstop. Go after them with the existing laws.

As tragic as it is (and I can't image what those kids and parents have gone through), I think passing a law like this will create a domino effect of other problems. What about established ranges/hunting area's that already exist within the 3 mile zone? What if you had to defend yourself or your home/family with justified force within that zone? In some areas this could ban shooting of any kind for many miles as two schools 6 miles apart would create a 12 mile long no-fire zone. Depending on the density of schools, it could effectively eliminate hunting and shooting in a LOT of areas.

Gun owners, esp. those that carry, already have to walk a minefield of confusing and seemingly pointless laws. Many of which were implement as a knee jerk reaction to events like this.

I forgot to mention: One week before the shooting, teachers and students reported hearing a gun shot and seeing the bullet strike the ground near the school building. The police were called, but nothing came of the investigation. No steps were taken to protect the students after this first incident.

Back