• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Veterans Day, November 11, 2023

Ernst

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
We fought for every star on the flag!

For several years I've posted write ups for Veterans Day including its history and national scheduled events. But this year thought I'd suggest a different approach by asking each of you, whether you're a veteran or not, to leave a comment below on what Veterans Day means to you and/or your family or by just simply saying thank you to those who served our Republic.

Bless all our Veteran Brothers and Sisters

285925-Happy-Veterans-Day.jpg

Unfortunately, it's a sad day for me now. I was active Air Force from 1982-1992 as an Air Weapons Director during the cold war. I actually controlled two F-106 intercepts on Russian TU-95 Bear Bombers, and the Berlin Wall came down on my watch (which is why I separated). I was always proud to serve and loved every assignment.

Now, I don't recognize the country I served, and feel a bit like a chump, and any young person who asks about enlisting today, I talk them out of it in the strongest terms.

Sorry to be a Downer.

Unfortunately, it's a sad day for me now. I was active Air Force from 1982-1992 as an Air Weapons Director during the cold war. I actually controlled two F-106 intercepts on Russian TU-95 Bear Bombers, and the Berlin Wall came down on my watch (which is why I separated). I was always proud to serve and loved every assignment.

Now, I don't recognize the country I served, and feel a bit like a chump, and any young person who asks about enlisting today, I talk them out of it in the strongest terms.

Sorry to be a Downer.
Don't be sad, be proud and stand tall. It's so many others that are the chumps. So many I academia seem to hate America and want to burn it down. So many younger folks have been indoctrinated and brainwashed. Shame to the brainwashers and salute to the veterans.

It sure was an adventure for me. Eight and a half years in the Regular Army that I would not trade for anything.

Thanks to All my brothers and sisters who served honorably.

Thank you, Ernst. We never really say enough about these things in society. We’re very lucky to be in the position we are in, as the top dog on the planet, and it has everything to do with our military.

(The misery that we’re in as a country now, well that’s of our own doing, and we will have to get ourselves out of it.)

. . . I don't recognize the country I served, and feel a bit like a chump, and any young person who asks about enlisting today, I talk them out of it . . .
By the time my parents had been with the service for 30 years they felt almost the same way. My mother certainly did, and my father didn’t talk about it, but they never suggested we kids join the military.

The DOD was sending offers, after I took the DOD’s exams in 1970, but I had no desire to go to Vietnam, after hearing my father’s description of the place.

In later years I realized that they never would’ve sent me. I would’ve wound up on a stupid desk job in Maryland somewhere.

In the end I had plenty of stupid desk jobs without having to join the military. It was all the other things that I missed out on.

Good and bad.

Back