• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Well, I am an IDIOT! Lost the detent ball while replacing safety

JCinPA

.270 WIN
You would think after all the shade tree gunsmithing I've done over the years, I would not have fallen for this. Plus, the NDZ safety came with just the safety or with the safety and another little metal slide thingy and detent ball, but did I get that? Just in case? Nope, had to save a couple dollars. Half an hour scooting around the floor on my butt did not produce it.

Of course I'll find the little thing the instant I hit send on ordering another one. Grrrrrrrr.

I actually have my 10mm sockets, lol. I can't believe I did this. Had I had the gun tilted the other direction it would have landed on the towel I was working on instead of my hearing it bounce off the tile floor. Older, but apparently, no wiser, I guess.

7-10 business days for the replacement, so no trap for me, I'm out of commission for a while.

Get yourself one of those heavy duty magnets on a broomstick from harbor freight and start sweeping it around the room like a mental patient lol. I don't know how many times mine has saved my butt when a tiny part goes flying across the room or I drop a tiny screw in the gravel driveway.

Amazon has them with free overnight shipping depending on where you live....

Normally I wouldn't be recommending buying gun parts on Amazon, but desperate times lol.

Amazon only has entire kits, cannot get just the detent ball, unless my search fu is weak. I don't want the whole kit, I'll just have to wait.

You would think after all the shade tree gunsmithing I've done over the years, I would not have fallen for this. Plus, the NDZ safety came with just the safety or with the safety and another little metal slide thingy and detent ball, but did I get that? Just in case? Nope, had to save a couple dollars. Half an hour scooting around the floor on my butt did not produce it.

Of course I'll find the little thing the instant I hit send on ordering another one. Grrrrrrrr.
Shoot me your mailing address on contact@defendertactical.com, and I'll send you a couple balls, free of charge.

Probably the same size as the detent ball in the magazine caps, cuz that stupid little thing almost got away from me, except for the siping in the tread of my Sketchers..lol

Thanks, @TexasShotgunner that's very generous of you! I have one on order, though! I have a fix on the way. Thought folks would get a chuckle out of my predicament because most of us who have done some gunsmithing/building have had this experience.

I learned early on when building an AR, or detail stripping a 1911 (including all the small fiddly springs like in the slide release plunger tube) to have what you're working on inside a 2 gallon ziplock baggie. You can see what you're doing and it saves launching small parts hither, thither, and yon.

Very nice crowd here, though, thanks again Texas!

Back