• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

what is more practical, 500 or 590

Hey gang
As you know I'm a noob, and will be picking up my first pump action any day now.

I'm curious, what is more practical for hunting pheasant and rabbit, the 500 or the 590?
After reading up on the 590 I kind of gather it is more of a tactical weapon, I like the look of it, but not sure how it will benefit me in the bush.

It's such a tough decision to pick which one I want. The 500 is awesome, so is the 590 and s**t, so is everything Mossberg makes. Please help this noob make the right choice so I'm not kicking myself in the arse later.

Kev

The 500 is available in more out of the box options for hunting.

If the primary purpose of this gun is hunting, I would probably stick with the 500.

If the primary purpose is HD or competition, I would look at the 590.

You can cross over with both but it all depends how much workd and money you want to spend to get what you want from each model.

I totally agree with MikeD.

A 5 round 500 has more options open to it out of the box than a 590. However, a 590 with 5 round magazine can share barrels with 835s, but I think would cost more up front.

Id say, which ever is your primary goal, let that make your decision and I'll side with MikeD on that.

I have shot birds with my 20" 590 though... ;)

"A 5 round 500 has more options open to it out of the box than a 590. However, a 590 with 5 round magazine can share barrels with 835s, but I think would cost more up front."

I own the 8+1 Special Purpose 590. I was thinking about getting a longer scoped and rifled barrel to shoot slugs with. Is there such a beast?

A 500 is more practical but my brother uses his 590 for all sorts of hunting including taking a deer this year with it (using the 20" barrel).

My first shotgun ever was a 500.
Now I have 4 of them along with a safe full of other shotguns in all different types of actions.
The only pumps that I own are 500's, so I guess you could say that I am bias.
Get the 500 and never look back. :cool:

Mossberg has a few barrels with the scope mount mounted to the barrel. You should look into that option, then you can keep the scope on the barrel and remove it when you're not hunting.

dorangolv said:
"A 5 round 500 has more options open to it out of the box than a 590. However, a 590 with 5 round magazine can share barrels with 835s, but I think would cost more up front."

I own the 8+1 Special Purpose 590. I was thinking about getting a longer scoped and rifled barrel to shoot slugs with. Is there such a beast?

Mossberg has a few barrels with the scope mount mounted to the barrel. You should look into that option, then you can keep the scope on the barrel and remove it when you're not hunting.

I think my big problem is with the attachment point at the end of the magazine. My 8 shot capacity has a screw on cap. The longer rifled barrels I've seen mount with a bolt that threads into a hole on the end of the mag.

Back