• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: 930 jams, sticking piston

Both of my barrels have the blue springs, I don't know if the black or the blue spring is the current spring Mossberg is using now.

rickman said:
I also wiped out the inside area (spring) where the piston fits into really good before putting the piston back in as well. Mine as a red spring.

how do you do that?

Just take a clean rag/cloth and wipe out the area where the piston goes into. It gets some build-up there as well. I use some cleaning solvent on the cloth and just wipe out that area before reinserting the piston. I read where you can actually remove the spring but getting it back together can be a bit of pain. There really is no need to actually remove that spring, just wipe out that area good. (I looked inside that area with a flashlight and it was black, after wiping it out and cleaning out the black build-up, I saw I had the red spring :mrgreen: )

gas seal ring help

hello ladies and gents, 1st post here, and love the site. I just bought a well used 930 spx in stock form. Gun was said to have several hundred rounds through it and had feeding issues. For the asking price i figured feeding issues or not is was a great deal. So being new to the 930 spx, I googled and found some disassembly videos and detail stripped the gun. Holy S--t was this thing dirty! I should have took some pics but didnt think about it at the time. There was so much carbon on the gas piston it would barely "rotate". That being said, I took all of the gas piston parts out of the barrel and cleaned everything up good using shooters' choice followed by some parts blaster (carb cleaner + elbow grease)and finally some kroil. I ordered a nordic mag tube kit (+2), a nordic bolt handle and a nordic follower as upgrades. I have hit a snag. I got the bolt and trigger group back in the gun, no problems with that. My issue is this gas seal ring. The video that I watched has the gas seal ring in front of the gas piston...In between the gas piston and the 2 holes in the barrel for the gas vent. The problem I iam having is the gas piston does not fit flush with the gas ring seal ring in this position. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? I do have the beveled edge of the seal ring facing the muzzle. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :mrgreen:

Re: gas seal ring help

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum mossfan2 !!

Sorry, can't help with your problem...but be patient, someone here will have a solution !!

Re: Replacing Safety

Sorry for waking up an old thread but I just went through this myself. My problem is that the button is kind of hard pushing forward now. Pulling it back is nice and smooth. Is the screw too tight? :?

Thank you.

930fan said:
Sorry for waking up an old thread but I just went through this myself. My problem is that the button is kind of hard pushing forward now. Pulling it back is nice and smooth. Is the screw too tight? :?

Thank you.

Are you experiencing this when the action is cocked? I have found the safety button "stiffer" to slide when the action is not cocked.

No, I don't find it different. Does the screw have to be tight or loose to adjust the stiffness of the button?

I have changed a few of these out myself. The tightness does matter because the part that you are putting the screw in has a lip on the bottom. If the screw is overly tight, more pressure is on the bottom lip, causing it to be difficult to slide. It takes a very small adjustment to relieve the tension. hunter72 and m24shooter have given you excellent advice on how to change it. Just be careful with the little ball. It is loose and will fall into the receiver or worse, on the floor where you may not find it. If the ball or any other part falls into the receiver, you will become intimately familiar with detail stripping your Mossberg.

BTW, I also got my saftey from ETA and it came with a Phillips screw. I would have rather had an allen head screw, but the phillips works well enough.

Re: gas seal ring help

Are the chamfers on "both" of the rings facing up when you re-installed them onto the piston?

Was the piston properly seated when it was removed? Did you clean out the area where the piston goes into? That area gets dirty too and maybe there is some buildup in there that is preventing the piston from properly seating. A good wipe out of that area should do it.

Pics would be helpful. I haven't seen this problem so I really can't give any useful advice. Maybe someone else with more experience can chime in.

Inspect the piston for any damage. Possible a new piston assy might be needed (Item 26 in the parts list).

Re: Review/Issues of my 930 SPX, Sept 2011

Soooo...I just got back "my" SPX and the first thing I do is take out the packing slip.....

Seams all they did is replace the SPX with another, looks brand new.

"Received Serial Number: AFxxxxxx Replaced with: AFxxxxxx"

First thing I notice when I open the box...they packed it differently then when I first bought it...more cardboard separators.

Next thing is a wooden dowel, which I assume is to limit the capacity of the magazine tube; which I never received on my original purchase. Then I remove the shotgun out of the plastic bag and when doing so...I hear something metal fall out on to the floor...a small black cotter pin.. WTF?! Anyone have an idea where that maybe from? I'm guessing trigger group. Also an addendum to the manual, regarding the gas piston area.

mossberg%252520parts.jpg

The trigger group still has the same amount of play and elevator still does not fall in to bolt recess 100% of the time. I guess it is what it is.

The next thing I do is check the capacity of the magazine tube with the 2-3/4" Fiocchi LE Low Recoil Slugs.....same as before..only can get 6 + 1 and not the specified 7 + 1. I will see if that is a break in issue. Later this week, if weather permits...I will test the functionality of the SPX.

I was having big time trouble with my piston sticking with only about 70 rounds through it. I took it apart, cleaned it, and now it is fine. Now my trigger is some how sticking. Any suggestions?

Wow you guys are very knowledgeable and do very informative write ups. I'm having issues re installing my brownells metal safety. It's so tight it don't move, or is so loose it falls back on safe. I messed with it for over an hour lol. I'm very familiar with the AR platform and berettas but this is new for me. Is there a certain way to put it together that I'm doing wrong? Detent ball won't move so I can't loose it. Plate is on correct, I'm very confused. I hope the vast knowledge can and will help.

The detent ball should be resting on a spring. From the red dot in the picture, the hole just toward the receiver. Very easy to loose is you didn't notice it, it should be free in the hole. Otherwise you could have the ball setting where the red dot should be maybe. The thin plate should be above the ball setting on the spring. The holes in the thin plate make the detent work to hold the safety in place. Hope I didn't make this too confusing. Good Luck!

Hmm, interesting. Maybe the cotter pin is item 20, shell stop retaining clip.

Regarding the magazine capacity, they ought to just rewrite the specs as 6+1.

I'll be dammed, the spring is showing, ball is on redot indicator....OK can't seem to get ball free lol

I examined the picture above and didn't notice what I was doing wrong. And you guess without pictures, amazing!
That dam ball is really stuck, Im freaking scratching it all up trying to get it free. That things really in there.
IMAG0150.jpg

Well, as you have probably figured out, unless you get the detent ball free, your stuck. You might try a small pick. Just do it over a large light colored towel, that way when the detent ball does come free, if it falls, you have a better chance of finding it. If it falls into the receiver, you will more than likely have to detail strip the receiver unless you can shake it free. You need the detent ball on the spring for the saftey to work correctly. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do at this point but just work at it until it is fixed, or take it to a qualified gunsmith. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I got the same memo with my return.

For me they repaired and returned the same unit. My tube holds the correct 7 + 1 now.

I believe that cotter pin goes on the trigger group. In fact i'm very positive it does. Better field strip it before the range trip.

Back