• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

THIS! IS! SPARTAAAANNN!!!

very nice....i like the 2 tone.

Yeah man, that is a real good lookin 1911! I think those new grips are gonna be perfect!!!

LES,
Very nice!
What is it about 1911 that make them irresistable?
I have two and I'd be a sucker for another if it looked like that!

G

Ok fellas. I could use some collective advice, or whatever...

I've mentioned before how my Springer seems to shoot low. I had early on thought it was just me. And Allison. Firing the same. I figured we just had the same issues with how we fire.

Well, we've practiced, Man have we practiced! Lots of dry fire trigger control excersises, and learnin to not anticipate recoil, (which I know doesnt sound right, more like unlearn recoil anticipation) and we have shot quite abit.

Over the weekend, I had my friend fire the gun. He is a much more experienced pistol shooter, its almost all he ever shoots. In fact I dont know of him ever spending range time shooting anythin else but for the Mosin just occassionally.

Long story short (sorta), He had the same problem POI is about 4" lower than POA. So it wasnt just me bein a total nOOb! And Allison... The gun really does shoot low! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot I say!

Its a Springer Light Weigh Loaded A1 1911 .45 ACP. I most commonly run 230 gr ammo (Oh yeah, no issues with ball ammo the last time we were out and we fired 100 rounds of it!), but recently began experimenting with 165 gr. HydraShok.

Has anyone experienced something like this? What could cause that much bullet drop between 7 and 10 yards? I'm not even shooting 25 yards with the gun...

I seriously dont get it and really dont know what to look at. I appreciate any help, Thank you as always!!! :D

Since I've had the SP-01 I have had to learn all over basically, the windage was off so I fixed that but I think the elevation problem is me. I have to cover my desired POI with the front sight.....and believe it or not I am doing better with both my eyes open and I never shoot that way unless it’s through a reflex sight.

So do you hold high or do you aim with front blade higher than the rear sight ?

Well, I've always just covered my target until this past weekend and tried holdin the front sight high. I can do it and get on target and group decently... though I may never be a bullseye shooter like this! :D We can normally shoot 3 to 4" groups the way we've been goin.

Holdin the front sight high was a bit of an experiment as there was little of anything else on the gun to reference to do it consistently/repeatedly. Maybe if i did it more... I dunno.

But I do know it isnt supposed to fire like thise.

Just a thought,

Shooting low and left is most often due to overtravel in the trigger causing the shooter to pull left and low. Adjusting the trigger's overtravel stop will probably help. Also, make sure your finger is positioned correctly and squeeze the trigger straight back. Our trigger fingers have a natural tendancy to pull in an arch creating uneven pressure on the trigger which leads to movement of the muzzle. Too much or too little finger on the trigger will push or pull your shots all over the target. Try laying less finger across the trigger and see if that helps.

All that said, in the 1911 world Springers do have a reputation for shooting low. If trigger or finger placement adjustment do not help, then you may need to file down your front sight or even replace it with a lower profile post. You could always notify Springfield of your problem and see how they would suggest you proceed. I can assure you, they're used to dealing with this issue.

That’s the other thing that helped me a lot, finger placement. I am so used to using the pad of my finger for rifles.....well for that’s not the way to go for my new pistol. Believe it or not I get the best straight back pull with the crease of my trigger finger. Like Lazy said there is enough travel in the trigger to allow me to hit at 9 o'clock. With my long guns it’s more of a touch so the pad of my finger worked well. I am going to start shooting all pistols with the trigger in the forefinger joint and see how it goes.

double-barrel-gun-0-thumb-550xauto-85933.jpg

Don't cry to us when the Mayan Apocalypse comes with a horde of brain-dead zombies because we'll just shake our heads at you for not stocking up on Arsenal Firearms' double barrel handgun that fires two bullets with every trigger pull.

More commonly referred to as the AF2011-AF Double Barrel Pistol or "Twenty Eleven" or "Second Century," the gun is special because it's the first semi-automatic pistol that fires two bullets at once. Its body is intrinsically that of a Colt 1911-A1 with twin .45 caliber barrels that can carry eight bullets in each.

In layman's terms, that means, it'll effectively kill zombies dead without requiring constant reloading. Two bullets to the head on one shot should keep a zombie down for good.

The stopping power of the AF2011-A1 is tremendous: 2 bullets for a total of 460 Grains weight impacting at 1 to 2 inches apart (depending on the distance of the target) will knock down a bull, while the whole 18 bullets, for a payload exceeding 4000 Grains, can be delivered to the target in about 3 seconds.

Made in Italy, Arsenal Firearms' new weapon of zombie destruction is said to be "very accurate and great fun" and even features interchangeable parts with legacy Colt 1911 parts.

As if all of that wasn't enough, the Second Century gun can also be ordered with either two independent triggers or two permanently joined ones — both tempting options.

Pricing isn't listed on Arsenal Firearms' site, but we're sure if you really wanted the guns, finding a way to procure them won't be hard.

Because we can, we're dubbing this gun the "zombie-killer's best friend."

Source: http://dvice.com/archives/2012/03/double-barrel-p.php

I can't do too much research because my work restricts many web pages and topics.

I've had three people who aren't even into firearms ask me about this double-barrel 1911 TODAY! Also, four family members forwarded me a link from an msn.com article about it. Talk about a marketing blitz!

Rossignol

I don't know if this will help you with shooting low. I changed out my flat mainspring housing for an arched mainspring housing. It didn't completely solve my tendancy to shoot low, but it did help.

When I make a deliberate shot the shape of the mainspring housing doesn't matter because I have time to adjust and place the shot on the target.

From the holster I almost always place my shots low on the target using a 1911 with a flat mainspring housing. Everyones hands are different, and an arched mainspring housing helped get me closer to the grip angle I needed.

Sorry, I'm just getting back to this...

Oli, the sights are the Novak tritium dovetailed.

LES, We have spent a good deal of time with trigger control, just our fingertip, taking up slack, and squeezing and being certain the muzzle doesnt move when we hear "click". We also had the other guy shoot it, and as it turns out, the gun is grouping consistently low by 3 to 4" between 7 and 10 yards.

Gunner, I've thought about an arched MSH... We have been shooting deliberately, sometimes rapid shooting, but expecting no real result. When we shoot deliberately is when we're getting decent groups, just a few inches lower than the bull every time.

Its when we're bein careful that our results are low... I'm pretty thoroughly cunfused. I'll try and get a hold of Springer. If no dice, I'll be searchin for another 1911. Somethin I can give to Ally for graduation and be confident in. Might be time to look into an EB SFC!!! :D

Ripsnortr, those are sweet!!!

Thanks LES!!! I'll get it figured out one way or another! ;)

And dont forget to vote in the March photo contest at the very top of every section! I voted! :D

Back