• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

ripjack13 said:
Thanx sniper....I'm really leaning towards the 1911 style. Plus if I'm going to making 1911 grips it would only make sence to have one.

No problem Sir,

...and I agree. Everyone should own at least one 1911. :D

tcecil88 said:
Very nice RIA, LES. I like the color contrast.

Thank you Sir,

I'm pretty happy with the looks of it too. The dirty olive grips turned out looking great on this one. I just de-blued the barrel yesterday, so it's entirely bright stainless now. Never understood why they polished the barrel lug, and blued the rest of the barrel...

The Rock has a bull barrel.

There's no bushing and it uses a slightly different recoil spring assembly held in place by a plug in the inside of the slide.

My Kimber has a bull barrel too...

Ahh, I had no idea of this! Is that the Ultra Carry?

RipJack, That RIA with the 4" barrel is still a full size grip as LES mentioned, which is the same as whats called government (5" model) or commonly "Colt 1911 or clones"! Its also the same as commander models. ;)

You know I'm all about pictures, so here are a couple pics of the two types of barrel assemblies...

.45acp Bushing Barrel

The barrel bushing serves a dual role of holding the barrel level and in place while also providing an external stop for the recoil spring plug...

.45acp Bull Barrel

You can see that the walls of the bull barrel are much thicker which enable the barrel to hold itself in place against the inside walls of the slide, thereby eliminating the need for a bushing.

Because there is no bushing, the recoil spring plug on a bull barrel assembly is held in place by a lip on the rear surface of the plug that butts up against the inside edge of the spring guide channel...

99% of all 1911s with a 4" or shorter barrel will use a bull barrel assembly. With a shorter action, the cycle distances decreases and could cause issues with the interior edge of a bushing contacting the chamber surface of the barrel. Some will argue that a bull barrel will reduce muzzle climb and contribute to a "more accurate" weapon. I personally don't notice any difference on target and simply see the bull barrel design as an elegant solution to creating a more reliable, shorter action 1911...

I've been thinking about getting a couple 1911's. One for carry and one for the range and out in the woods. I was at my LGS today and ran across a Rock Island Tactical 5". Other than the craptastic sights on it I liked the gun. I came home and researched it a little. It seems RIA makes 2 tactical models, one they just call tactical and a 2011 tactical. The one I looked at is the 2011 tactical model.

I know a few folks on here have RIA's. Anybody familiar with this model? This one was priced to me at $535. With different sights I'm thinking it could be a good range/outdoors pistola if it's worth it. Here's a couple stock pics.

ria.jpg

ria1.jpg

It certainly looks nice and has some desirable features. I otherwise cant say I have any experience with them.

I really like it, I like the full size guns! :D

Other than the addition of a full-length dust cover with a picatinny rail, the single-stack RIA "2011 Tactical" is virtually the same pistol as the standard "Tactical" model. There is a also "VZ Grip" 2011 Tactical model that comes with a fiber optic front sight if you're looking for something other than the standard front sight. I would be proud to own either one.

As far as the brand goes, it's hard to find a better feeling, better shooting 1911 at the prices they offer. My RIA is a mid-sized a1 and I love the damn thing. I bought it just to see what all the fuss was about and fell in love with it on the first range trip. I'm actually looking at picking up a second RIA 1911 sometime in the near future. The next one will be a 1911a1 FS .38 Super in hard chrome.

In my humble opinion, RIA is one of the most under-rated and underexposed 1911 manufacturers out there. Let's keep it a secret though! As soon as more folks catch on, their prices are gonna start goin up quick...

I called before they closed and got them to put it back for me. I'll give it another once over Monday morning. There's a better than average chance it'll follow me home.

I had considered selling my Springer LightWeight Loaded A1, parkerized, Novak night sights, Pachmayr Combat wrap around grips, government length 1911 .45 ACP...

BUT THAT WOULD BE NUTS! I love everything about this gun, it was my first dream gun, my first big kid crush!!! Yall know what I'm sayin, right?

100_6605Small.jpg

100_6646Small.jpg

100_6607Small.jpg

100_6642Small.jpg

100_6619Small.jpg

100_6620Small.jpg

100_6622Small.jpg

100_6625Small.jpg

OH..nice gun ..but those grips are horrible.. ;)
you need new ones Brad... ;)
I bet I know where you can get a set of nice handmade wood ones..... :D

hmmm...now where could that be?
i know someone here has ...Got Wood?

Back