• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

Oh I know man!!! Those grips are just hideous! I cant believe I ever thought those could work or be useful at all, theyre just so... utiltarian in design and style with no aesthetic quality to them at all. Not the least bit pleasant on the eyes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Down the road, for presentation, I'm def gonna be interested in some sweet wood grips! Gotta find the right wood with the right "fire" to the grain, its gotta look like it lives and breathes! :D

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure I have dragons breath wood... :lol:

Para Ordnance 1911 model 1640

I have an opportunity to snag one of these (at a fair price) that is about 8 years old(?)with about 1000 rounds through it....it's the Canadian made version before they moved manufacturing to the US. It's a .40 cal S & W, anyone has any experience with these? I will get a chance to put a few hundred rounds through it on Friday but looking for any advice from someone that has owned one or has knowledge of one?

Re: Para Ordnance 1911 model 1640

I don't have any experience with that particular model, but I do own and sometimes carry my old Para Ordnance P12-45...

PARAORDP12-45small-1-1.jpg

Well, I talked myself out of the RIA 2011 Tactical. But............................

I was going to the range today a saw that a gun shop I go to had a moving to a new location sale going on. I couldn't help my self. I checked out several different models but as soon as I picked up the RIA M1911 A1 Tactical I had found my new gun. This thing feels great and the trigger is unbelievably good. Got the pistola, 2 Chip McCormick mags and 3 boxes of ammo for what the 2011 Tact would have cost me. It's gotta have new grips and I'm thinking about a set of VZ Operators II in Black Desert Sand to go on it since the paintfill has a tan/gold tint. A lot more to look at first though. Just crappy cell pics for now. (gun hasn't been cleaned yet either)

ria-1.jpg

ria2.jpg

VZ's
vz.jpg

Oh man...that is shweet lookin!
Congrats on the new baby! ;)

MossLvR said:
Ever had to replace any of the internals?

No sir...and neither did the previous owner...who only got rid of it because he wanted the $$ for another firearm.

Congratulations jd!

You're absolutely gonna love that new RIA! You can't go wrong with VZ grips and those Operators II are gonna look great on your new pistol...

If the price and condition are acceptable, you should be good to go.

Count yourself lucky that it's an older model though. I wouldn't take one of their new pistols if someone tried to give it to me.

I am leaning away from it at this time, unless the guy really wants to deal. I will be shooting it tomorrow and will proceed from there. My research on this model so far, suggests IPSC users seem to have more issues with this model than with other 1911 models for the same purpose.

Would anybody happen to know what color the VZ Black Desert Sand grips are? In some pics they look black/tan and some they look black/gray or silver. I emailed VZ but haven't heard back from them yet.

Here you go Sir.

I've got two sets, both VZ Black Desert Sand...

Elite Tactical Carry

Tactical Diamond "Spartan"

They're definitely black/grey, not black/tan.

I'd keep an open mind about it before you shoot it.

Most of the negative feedback you'll find is due in great part to Para's deteriorating reputation in more recent history. Keep us posted...

Back