• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

38,000 lbs of stopping power.... what's in your Shotgun?

aksavanaman

Work In Progress...
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
In the spirit of "should I carry bean bags or rubber shot?".... (no judgement if you do carry LTL rounds, I don't )

For chits and giggles I decided to add up my combined muzzle energy of the shells currently held on my 590A1...to clarify, I've got a total of 13 shots of Hornady Critical Defense 00 (1600Fps and 2455ft/lbs) and two Brenneke Black Magic 1 3/8 oz slugs (1502Fps and 3014ft/lbs). As I don't have a chrono, I can't verify any of these velocity numbers on my own gun, so for now the manufacturer data will have to suffice. My grand total (assuming I've loaded one in the chamber) was:

37, 943 ft/lbs of Muzzle Energy :shock: :eek: :cool: Come and get it Mr. Bad Guy! :twisted:

How much potential stopping power are you carrying on your shotgun?

Hah! That'll show 'em who's BOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm carrying ten 1-oz Federal Tru-Ball slugs @1350-fps and one (yes, just one) 9-pellet Federal Tactical 00-Buck. I fall short of your numbers by quite a bit!

The only way I can compete with you is if I add up what a 20-rd magazine of 150-gr 7.62x51 @ 2519-ft/lbs each delivers from my M1A. It comes to a mere 50,380 ft/lbs.

But the shotgun still rulz in my book.

About the same, maybe a bit less. RIO 00 buck, Brenneke Green Lightning, 7 in the tube, 6 on the stock - about evenly split. But it only counts if you hit the target. :mrgreen:

Got my AR loaded with 77gr SMK..Black Hills

• Muzzle Velocity: 2750 fps
• Muzzle Energy: 1259 ft. lbs.

X31….with one in the chamber =39029 ft.lbs.

And I don’t have to reload

LOL

oli700 said:
Got my AR loaded with 77gr SMK..Black Hills

• Muzzle Velocity: 2750 fps
• Muzzle Energy: 1259 ft. lbs.

X31….with one in the chamber =39029 ft.lbs.

And I don’t have to reload

LOL

Now add 15 rnds of 200grn Double Tap 10mm coming out of your 29 @ 1240fps.... thats another 10245t/lbs in your hand :cool: (assuming you're using G20 mags of course)

got to hit something first lol.....so I can miss 46 times

then after that mag its down to lil 55gr'ers and 180gr xtp's but if I make through all that and am still breathing I will feel lucky.....don't be surprised others are dead, be surprised you are still alive......or something like that lol

nitesite said:
The only way I can compete with you is if I add up what a 20-rd magazine of 150-gr 7.62x51 @ 2519-ft/lbs each delivers from my M1A. It comes to a mere 50,380 ft/lbs.

But the shotgun still rulz in my book.

…..21 rounds of 168 gr Federal AE ……2650 fps @ 2619 Ft. Lbs……54,999 Ft. lbs……….wow !

Mighty powerful weapon….

nitesite said:
I'm carrying ten 1-oz Federal Tru-Ball slugs @1350-fps and one (yes, just one) 9-pellet Federal Tactical 00-Buck.

Can I ask how you came up with this breakdown for your ammo? I'm interested since your job puts you out there and you probably have a lot more thought into the decision most people. I think most people, myself included, would lean to a heavier ratio of buckshot.

For the Mossberg, I tell people that I can get a half pound of lead down range with 8 pulls of the trigger before I need to reload, all from an 18 1/2 long barrel. I should convert to the pounds of force, it sounds a lot more impressive.

I'm gonna go on a limb an guess the buck is for door breaching.? And its first one in the chamber.

carbinemike said:
nitesite said:
I'm carrying ten 1-oz Federal Tru-Ball slugs @1350-fps and one (yes, just one) 9-pellet Federal Tactical 00-Buck.

Can I ask how you came up with this breakdown for your ammo? I'm interested since your job puts you out there and you probably have a lot more thought into the decision most people.

Sure. That's a fair question.

I like a shotgun that is effective at 3-7 yards (or less) and is still just as effective at 60-75 yards without re-adjusting. Penetration thru a lot of stuff from slugs, and accuracy that surpasses buckshot.

#1 reason , never know when you might want to do a little road hunt'n when its slow

dieselmudder said:
I'm gonna go on a limb an guess the buck is for door breaching.? And its first one in the chamber.

Great guess, but no. It's on the sidesaddle. My mag tube has seven slugs in it.

I honestly don't have a real specific intent for that one buckshot round, other than I just figure that I probably ought to have at least one with me. :oops:

I figured you'd have thought it though and you sure did. It makes sense too. Thanks for sharing the logic.

I should have just encapsulated it into one simple sentence.

Slugs provide me the highest potential for accuracy and ultimate deep penetration, because 00 buckshot compromises both at distances beyond a few yards.

:)

Haven't done any of the fancy math, but I have four rounds of #1 buckshot and then two rounds of PDX1. Five rounds of Federal FliteControl 00 buck on the buttcuff. Take care. Tom Worthington

I never was any good at math,,,, ;) ,,,,,but 4 Fiocchi 00 buck and 4 1oz Lee slugs should do the trick.

9 shells of Remington #4 buck in the chamber and tube and 4 Federal Truballs in the speed feed. I have no idea what the math comes out to be.

My 88's loaded with Win Razorback XT 1 1/8 oz segmented hollow point slugs. 5 in the tube and 5 in the saddle. Velocity is 1600 fps.

I haven't found the muzzle energy for the 1 1/8 oz slug but I found for the 1 oz slug it's 2796 so I guess mine will be slightly higher.

Back