• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

#4 buckshot type/brand recommendations?

I have purchased my first shotgun for home defense, and I have decided to keep it loaded with #4 buckshot.
I live in an apartment so over-penetration is definitely a concern. It is an older complex, and there is no concrete/bricks in our walls.
It seems #4 buckshot is a sweet-spot between stopping power and penetrating power.
My question is: which brands should I consider, and what are the best types to keep from hurting my neighbors (i.e. reduced penetration, copper/nickel coated pellets, low recoil, etc)?

FWIW I have a 500 Persuader/Cruiser with 18.5" barrel.
Thanks!

That's one load I have no experience with but I can tell you in general copper and nickel plated pellets will usually penetrate deeper , low recoil will penetrate less.

RIO makes a good 12gage shell in both 00 and #4 and they are usually lower priced than other brands, if that's a concern. At apartment ranges you won't have to worry much about pattern spread, but avoiding collateral damage is largely accomplished by not missing the target. Even #4 will penetrate several layers of standard sheetrock, so getting sufficient practice is your best way to avoid harming neighbors. Don't expect the gun/ammo to make up for a lack of accuracy on your part. :)

Rio: http://www.rioammo.com/Gbuckshot.html

I'd recommend these two short & informative tutortials also:

Penetration: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

Shotgun Fighting: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu83.htm

^Thanks! First firearm forum I've joined so far!

oli700 said:
low recoil will penetrate less.

I have read that this can actually cause more penetration because the pellets won't mushroom/deform as much when it hits something. Is it now generally accepted low recoil will result in less penetration?

Howdy servo.

You're gonna have a hard time finding any reduced recoil #4 buck. There's just not much out there at all and I would definitely steer clear of any brands claiming reduced penetration. #4 is already on the low end of performance as far as ideal penetration for a defensive round. I recently tested some of the "reduced penetration" Hevi-Shot #4 buck against some Federal #4. The results from the Hevi-Shot were disappointing to say the least...

Hevi-Shot "HEVI-Duty" 2-3/4" #4 Buck:
MFG#: 91004
Pellets: 30 (Frangible on rock and steel)
Velocity: 1250 fps (low recoil)
Actual Length: 2.32"
Price: $8.99 / 5 rounds ($1.79 a round)

The Hevi-Shot HEVI-Duty #4 buck put up an 18.5" pattern with the wad punching through at the lower right bicep...

The surprise here was that the 30 pellets turned into 173 individual projectiles that punctured the target at 10 yards. Apparently these frangible pellets begin to fragment inside the barrel. There were several pellets that made it through the target in tact, so I would venture a guess that the pellets closest to the powder are crushed between the wad and the forward pellets upon ignition. Here is a negative of the image that better shows the punctures from the smaller fragments...

Federal Premium Power Shok 2-3/4" #4 Buck:
MFG#: F1274B
Pellets: 27
Velocity: 1325 fps
Actual Length: 2.34"
Price: $4.79 / 5 rounds ($.96 a round)

The Federal #4 buck put up a 9" shot spread with an excellent pattern. The wad went through the target just outside and below the left shoulder...

The Hevi-Shot round was a good idea, but the result is a virtually useless round that likely wouldn't penetrate a denim jacket. There's a point where one begins to compromise the effectiveness of a self defense firearm by overcompensating for the "what-if" scenarios. I'd suggest picking up a couple brands of #4 buck, Federal and Rio Royal are my personal favorites, and run your own performance evaluation in your 500. Knowing how your round of choice performs from your weapon will be invaluable...

GunnyGene said:
getting sufficient practice is your best way to avoid harming neighbors.

Thank you. I do realize not-missing is A-#1, and the best way to ensure a successful hit is training. I don't expect the ammo to do all the work, but if a few choices mitigate the RISK of collateral damage then I want to be sure to make the right ones! I'll check out Rio. I picked up a couple boxes of their birdshot to get myself, and my wife started! Didn't really know how they stacked up compared to other brands though.

In all my ammo tests, Rio has consistently produced some of the best patterns and can be had at a fraction of the price of many other brands. Rio Royal 00 buck is what sits loaded in my HD shotguns...

@Lazy Eyed Sniper: No frangible then. The longest shot I would make in my apartment is about 20 ft. For now it's 2 shells of #4, followed by #1. I plan on running some tests with some sheetrock, denim, and pork shoulder in the near future, so that setup might be changing!

servo086 said:
GunnyGene said:
getting sufficient practice is your best way to avoid harming neighbors.

Thank you. I do realize not-missing is A-#1, and the best way to ensure a successful hit is training. I don't expect the ammo to do all the work, but if a few choices mitigate the RISK of collateral damage then I want to be sure to make the right ones! I'll check out Rio. I picked up a couple boxes of their birdshot to get myself, and my wife started! Didn't really know how they stacked up compared to other brands though.

Rio is my standard brand for the shot sizes I use for game ( except for slugs - I prefer Brenneke Slugs), and I've not had any problems with it. It's also usually easily available and inexpensive around here.

Rio. Solid pattern, cost effective, and good availability. Seems like I know which brand to start stocking up on, and trying out! Awesome!
Thanks for the recommendation everyone! Its great being able to get advice from people more experienced than myself! I'd be a lot less confident in my purchases (not just ammo) if I hadn't found this place!

servo086 said:
@Lazy Eyed Sniper: No frangible then. The longest shot I would make in my apartment is about 20 ft. For now it's 2 shells of #4, followed by #1. I plan on running some tests with some sheetrock, denim, and pork shoulder in the near future, so that setup might be changing!

Now you're talking!

Take some pics of your process. We would love to see your results...

Please excuse the hijack.
I picked up some Federal Premium #4 shot

I couldn't find anything that said #4 buckshot.
Is there a difference?

3skulls said:
Please excuse the hijack.
I picked up some Federal Premium #4 shot

I couldn't find anything that said #4 buckshot.
Is there a difference?

Huge difference. Rather than me explaining it all, see this: http://www.shotgunworld.com/amm.html . The most obvious difference is pellet size and qty per oz. #4 Buckshot is larger by quite a lot and only 21 pellets/oz. #4 Shot (meaning Bird shot) has nearly 200 tiny pellets/oz.

Ah ok.
I thought there was but then I was only finding the #4 shot.

Thank you and thanks for the chart.
I'll save that one.

Tom396 said:
http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/category/SGB0/12-GA-SHOTGUN-BUCKSHOT.html

You'll have to scroll down to get to the #4 Rio buckshot. .44 per round is tough to beat. Take care. Tom Worthington

Thanks Tom that is a GREAT price.

servo086 said:
oli700 said:
low recoil will penetrate less.

I have read that this can actually cause more penetration because the pellets won't mushroom/deform as much when it hits something. Is it now generally accepted low recoil will result in less penetration?
there is some truth to that but all things being equal, weight and construction, the faster one is going to penetrate deeper and cause more damge

Back