• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

#4 buckshot type/brand recommendations?

servo086 said:
Rio. Solid pattern, cost effective, and good availability. Seems like I know which brand to start stocking up on, and trying out! Awesome!
Thanks for the recommendation everyone! Its great being able to get advice from people more experienced than myself! I'd be a lot less confident in my purchases (not just ammo) if I hadn't found this place!

I've used the RIO in 00 and 4 buckshot and it works great. My local Cabelas usually has both sizes on the shelf at near internet prices. Their #4 has fewer pellets then some of the other 2.75" options but I think it moves pretty fast so isn't really "low recoil". Also, for some reason the RIO shells I've bought are just a tad longer than the others. The difference is enough that i can only fit 7 of them in my magazine while I can get 8 of every other option. Not a big deal for practice but maybe something to think about when setting up your defensive shotgun.

yz9890 said:
Also, for some reason the RIO shells I've bought are just a tad longer than the others. The difference is enough that i can only fit 7 of them in my magazine while I can get 8 of every other option.
its the European roll crimp, tall

I've got the Hevi Duty #4 Buck loaded in my 500a Bullpup for home defense. Most gunfights take place 7-10 feet, but criminal ilk prowling your home may engage you at just a smidge over those distances. Years ago, a friend loaded me up some slow-moving 12 ga rounds with finishing brads. We bought a 15 lb turkey, thawed it, then took out in desert, hung it on a barbed wire fence, then lit it up with the nail rounds. Surgeon's nightmare!! Devastating coverage with penetration through the bones but not out the other side. We didn't test it on drywall, but I'd bet at 10-15 feet the nails would not have penetrated the neighbors drywall. Now, the #4 buck is my choice. :)

Howdy @Bad Lieutenant ,

Just curious, have you test patterned that Hevi-Shot yet? Reason I ask is that I tested multiple brands and types of shot several months back at ten yards and the Hevi Duty #4 buck performed horribly. Their proprietary "frangible on impact" pellets disintegrated inside the barrel and the 30 pellets produced 173 punctures in the test target in an 18.5" spread. I've gone through two boxes and every round yielded similar results. The cheap Winchester #8 bulk target shot I used for comparison put up a 17" spread with the pellets retaining more mass than the #4 Hevi Duty. I also tested the 27 pellet Federal Power Shok #4 buck (F1274B) which put up a 9" pattern, less than half the spread of the Hevi-Duty #4. I was extremely disappointed in the Hevi-Shot results, especially with their claim that "Hevi-Shot ammunition offers more knockdown power at extreme ranges, superior pattern density and superior downrange energy." The ten rounds I put into targets at 10 yards did the exact opposite of what is advertised. Here's the evaluation thread with photos of the test targets...

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/buckshot-pattern-test.9802/

Take it for what it's worth, I've got nothing against the company or your choice in ammo. Just wanted to relay my experience with that particular round...

Back