• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

7.62x39 Bullpup

Got the gun sighted in. It ran flawless.

I tried the troy DOA style sights and I didn't particularly care for them, so I switched to the CAA flip ups, which I liked A LOT better. The sight line with the CAA was a big improvement.

I don't really trust the ejection port door to not flip open when a shell ejects, though in all fairness, it didn't while I was shooting it, but I am thinking about extending the little rod all the way across rather than just over the front edge. Or perhaps even fabricating something with a wider mouth (and all metal). I don't know yet. I'm going to mull it over for a few days.

But if the cover were to pop up while shooting, it looks like it would draw blood on the bridge of your nose. And if that were to happen to me, I'd probably use it for an ax.

John, that gun is freaking cool!!!

Damn you Brother, now I have another item on my wish list!!!! LOL

He he.

In all fairness, it's not bad at all and I'm liking it a lot. After shooting it a while the other evening I noticed a few things that I am going to try to work around some.

The recoil seems to be more, so I bought a buffer for it and I am thinking of a way to maybe add a pad to the back of it. That would maybe solve the main 2 things that I'm iffy about.

I just don't trust my nose being that close to the back corner of it because I like to shoulder my guns with a close tuck, so that would both help reduce recoil somewhat and get my nose back a little farther away from the door at the same time.

I'm thinking about eliminating the ability to use strippers. I'm not a big fan of the cover to be honest.

I am either going to use a pin that will slide all the way across the cover that I can slide out of the way when I want it open, but will block it from opening accidentally upon a round ejecting. I may even remove the door altogether. Or maybe even fabricate a solid cover that I can screw to the stock body from kydex or steel or ???

But I don't trust that door to stay closed.

It hasn't opened up on me or anything, but seems like one of the weak points of the setup.

As for the AR, don't fret. I think everyone should have one.

The very first AR I ever owned was partially funded by an old SKS.

I had planned to use some kydex and wrap it around the rear of the stock, but after taking it apart and looking, I think that filling some of the voids with epoxy glue to give some meat to put a few screws through the pad was a better alternative.

The pad looks like it sits too low, but it doesn't. That's where it butts up against my shoulder.

I still may (or may not) wrap a piece around the top cover and heat it so it will form and keep the OEM look, but for now, I put some jb weld on the inside of the lip of the ejection port cover to see if it keeps the casings from popping it open. It hasn't done it while I have owned it, but I want to make sure it doesn't. I may also put a piece of thin metal on the underside of it if the bottom surface starts looking battered after I use it a while.

I also flipped the top receiver cover pin around to the other side. I had to drill a 1/4" hole through it, but I didn't like the key ring digging into my shoulder either. Since the gun isn't supposed to be fired "southpaw", I am not going to pretend to understand the reasoning why they redesigned it in the first place.

I also tightened the trigger up by 1 full turn, which should help remove some of the long takeup. I tried 2 whole turns, but the trigger wouldn't reset properly so I backed it off another turn and got it, so it's adjusted as good as it's ever going to be now.

I also installed a rubber sks bolt buffer in there to try to keep the recoil as low as possible. Between it and the kick-eez pad and the Phantom flashider/comp, is probably about as good as it's going to get.

I may try to get out a little later this evening to see how it does.

bullpup 001.JPG

Looks good John!!

Thanks guys.

I shot it and other than needing to adjust the sights a little more, I'm very content and satisfied with it now.

I got a little bored and went ahead and made a kydex cover for it. I'm still waiting on the tiny screws, but the cover itself is formed now. Once I get the screws installed, I am going to trim the excess from the bottom so the edge doesn't drop below the top cover, but I am much more confident with it now.

sgw mods 001.JPG

sgw mods 002.JPG

Far as I'm concerned, once I tweak the sights, the gun is done ;)

And I must say that I like it. A lot!

Thanks, but I tried making a good living off of guns and gun parts.

The little screws should be here Tuesday and then I'll make the final cuts and such.

After all of the little mods to the bullpup, I am finally done with it, I had to rezero the sights on it and while I was there, I swapped the optics on the MP5 to a millett multidot recently, so I made the most of the trip and decided to put them side by side after everything was said and done just to satisfy my curiosity.

The biggest drawback to the bullpup is the slow (for me) mag changes. Other than that, it's really good. It points quick, it's balanced and feels good, and engaging multiple steel plates was very fast as well. I like it very much.

Here are two targets both with 4 shots each (because I got carried away enjoying myself shooting that I forgot I was going to do that and when I remembered, I only had four x39 bullets left), so for a fair comparison, here's the bullpup and the MP5 both at the same distance, and both shot while kneeling down on one knee shooting slow trying to keep the sights steady to be as fair about accuracy as I can.

Not getting into the power factor debate over 9mm and 7.62x39, either way, there are 4 solid hits on target.

MP5
holli049_zpsc3872d76.jpg

Bullpup
holli048_zps5c8840f2.jpg

That is soo cool. Great job! I would love to do something like that, but I am left handed. As of now they dont make a lh set up. And, I dont have an SKS. Lol

Back