• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

8 days in and still no power!!

On our 8th day with no power but I have been running on a generator since Wednesday. We did get cable/internet back on Friday night but I've been reluctant to run the computers on generator power but I've given in. We've been taking care of 2 neighbors with warm meals and a warm place to sleep and warm showers. I've been offering my services free to attach generators straight to the panel in neighbors homes as long as they could find the proper SJ cable and cord cap (20A or 30A) for the 220v outlet on the generator. I was able to attach 3 neighbors yesterday and to say they were grateful would be understatement..

I'm back, sort of :? just have to keep reminded that it could be much worse!!!

cool, no power sucks. You know it has been a long time when you get used to it. Are you all electric or do you have some things that run on natural gas

My heat and Hot water are Natural Gas so I've always had hot water and my heat only requires the circulating pump to run it. My entire house is powered with a 5000 watt generator we just have to be careful of what we have on. My stove is electric but we've been cooking on my Propane coleman stove and we like it and may never put it away!! Gas stoves are so much better than electric stoves..

Your house is like mine. My mom and dad are all electric with the exception of wood heat...so it’s cooking on the wood stove and lanterns for lights. Small generator for TV and maybe a fan if it was summer. It’s interesting the things you do or get done with extended power outages.

So funny, once my stove went out and we cooked on one for about two years just because it wasn’t that bad. When the oven finally went we got a new stove ....lol

Good to hear you and the family are makin it through ok Dave. It's good to be prepared and even better to be able to assist others in a time of need. I'm sure your neighbors won't soon forget. You're a good man Sir.

Stay warm and keep us posted...

Thanks LAZY, I'm the type to help anyone in need and almost feel guilty that we are pretty much unaffected by this so anything I can do I surely offer.

Oh man Dave..good to hear you're good. bad to hear about no power...still! I was going to my moms for a shower and dinner. She had power way before anyone cuz she's in a active senior development. But I have power now, and my next door neighbor doesn't. Weird. I went over the morning after I had power with a pot of coffee for them. You should have seen their faces. It was awesome to see them happy as clams for coffee?!!! I guess we take a lot for granted, but that's the way life is these days.
Anyhow, I have been a good neighbor as well. They been over a few times already for dinner, and showers. Played some poker, and watched some movies. It's amazing how many movies between the two of we have. I have over 300.not including the old school bugs bunny cartoons i found this year at a tag sale. I love that wabbit.

Anyways...keep us posted.

I have been away from the news. Why no power? Ice storm or normal November occurance? I'm on my 5 days off so I haven't checked out what's happening to the electrical grid to know.

Keep in touch.

Glad to hear you and the family are OK Dave...I was wondering where you have been !! ;)

+1 rep for taking care of the neighborhood...!

We had a nor'easter go through CT last Saturday that dropped 20" of wet snow and the trees where still holding leaves. The branches and trees that fell around my neighborhood alone is amazing and being out there last Saturday night it's all you'd hear is trees cracking and snapping off.

Thanks Shooter!!!!!

Dang! We did the 3 or so days a couple years back on generators... Myself and a neighbor were the only two with generators and did likewise, but ran extension cords!!! :lol:

Youre a heck of a guy Dave! Thats character man!

Glad you all are well!

Thanks Brad I appreciate it!!

We got power back somewhere during the night so I'm off to deliver some tools and material to a job about a half hour from me and come and start disconnecting generators..

Good to hear you are up and running again!
This storm was such a fluke considering most if not all the snow was actually gone in a couple of days.

Glad you're back among the "lighted". I went 11 days without power after this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanukkah_Eve_wind_storm_of_2006. I started the adventure with 4 six gallon gas cans for the Gen so it was kind like of like the original "miracle of the oil" for us too :lol: . Where we live you either have direct box for the generator, or you're stupid. We were snowed/iced in and couldn't leave the house for the first 5 days. Damn ice just wouldn't go away. Felt pretty good about how we dealt with it. Lost our fish though. Never replaced them :evil: Worst part is that my Sister in law was here, and she had her "boyfriend", who is a SF Bay Area "dude" who looks, thinks, and acts like a lesbian. I'm trying to take care of a 4 and a 6 year old, and he's walking around talking about how he pulled something or had an infection "because it hurts when I pee!" :? When the ice broke and we could finally get out my Wife said "They're going to a hotel in seattle where there's power" I said "Thank God!" a little too loudly :lol: It was few years before I was forgiven. But we still had 6 days left of outage!

Thanks everyone..

I was able to save the fish by changing the water every 4-6 hours with HOT water from the tap. I lost my large blue cichlid but I don't think he was doing well to begin with. Once I fired up the generator it was a non issue..

Thanks for sharing that story blue, you Sister in laws boyfriend wouldn't have lasted long with me.

DaveinCT said:
Thanks everyone..

I was able to save the fish by changing the water every 4-6 hours with HOT water from the tap. I lost my large blue cichlid but I don't think he was doing well to begin with. Once I fired up the generator it was a non issue..

Thanks for sharing that story blue, you Sister in laws boyfriend wouldn't have lasted long with me.

Wow! That's amazing that you were able to save the fish! Seriously. Well done! Edited to add, that while I had a hot water heater, the well, at the time didn't have a generator, so we had no water. We have since wired in a generator, but it's manual, not an auto-start. Maybe someday we'll step up to one of those natural gas generators that go on instantly. You don't even know there's an outage! :cool:

blue said:
Worst part is that my Sister in law was here, and she had her "boyfriend", who is a SF Bay Area "dude" who looks, thinks, and acts like a lesbian. I'm trying to take care of a 4 and a 6 year old, and he's walking around talking about how he pulled something or had an infection "because it hurts when I pee!" :? When the ice broke and we could finally get out my Wife said "They're going to a hotel in seattle where there's power" I said "Thank God!" a little too loudly :lol: It was few years before I was forgiven.

Sir, that was the frikkin bestest read I can remember in a loooong damn time! Cracked me up it did!!!!

Dave, good man for helping the neighborhood. +1 rep point well deserved.

Wowza! Glad everyone is safe and now enjoying the electricity! Kuddos for being a good neighbor too!

I went without power for 3 days once, it was miserable. It was during hurricane Rita, had a 1 year old and an infant. Being without power wasn't the worst part, being hot as hell sleeping in our walk-in closet with 2 babies was the bad part (only for 1 night during the initial storm). I can't imagine more days than that! My dad however was without power during Rita for 16 days. The worst part about that was that my mom had died just a couPle weeks before that. So he was alone, in the dark, already grieving and lonely, and having to sleep in the laundry room for shelter. I had no way to contact him or check on him until we were able to drive there. It was an awful experience for him.

Anyway, that's my story :)

Back