• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AK47 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
AK47 top rail

Will advise on the zero retention. The rail, a TWS, closes up tight, the rings are UTG 30mm mid QDs, not the most $, but seem to lock in repeatedly the same way. Current zero is centered at 30yds, 2-3 inches high. Was a quick "do it" as heat and humidity were horrible, will "dial it in" ASAP (cools down) and check repeatability. The scope is a Millet DMS, good price thru Natchess. Chinese, but seems decent glass. For an AK probably good enough. If the UTGs don't work will probably go with the Burris one piece QD. Note back up peep. :p

The Yugo is down to one under rail. The side rail w/Streamlight (also goes on 930T) thru too much side shadow. The Hogue foregrip is cool (one especially for Yugos). Moved the rail 2 bolt holes forward by drilling to clear the under folder and still attach the light. Will also verify a new Mojo adj. peep, ASAP.

Damn! I'm moving out of the Phoenix metro when I retire. Too hot! and I've been in the desert for way over 40 yrs.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Looks great.

How well does the scope hold zero on that railed cover?

Finally got out this morning, much cooler. The scope (w/QDs) has been off & on 4 or 5 times now, so far so good. At a real range, 50yds, only 1 or 2 clicks required for windage; was still pretty high from my "rough in", 5 -7 on elevation. Was grouping 1.25 to 2.5" at fifty, about 3 - 3.5" at 100 yds. The 2 or 3 shots at 200 yds. I tried would have been lethal, bang a gong. OK for an AK, from what I've read, and consistent. Started with a clean bore, only shot 20rds of Wolf poly, was running out of time; <--- out of time, what the hell?? Just the way it worked out, I had trouble with the Remington, but I going to have to give myself a good talking to.

Nice shoot'n.

Haven't heated up my AK in a couple years. You've got me want'n to dust it off for my next range trip...

Swapped out to an over sized charging handle a bit back but only fitted the RPK adjustable iron sights this week. Its much better with the adjustable sights. Also picked up a pile of spare 7.62x39 saiga mags :)

407766682.jpg

407739841.jpg

407740067.jpg

407766683.jpg

Will be getting a PBS Russian can later this year. managed to track them down :)

Cheers Cant wait to get the PBS-1 on it though. Depends on the wait for one, if its too long I will go with a reflex T8. However I would like to keep it original Russian If I can

I have picked up a load of spares over the years. Cant seem to pass up Saiga / AK stuff when its in the local stores

407767173.jpg

dublinak@live.com is the contact email I found on their website.

I kinda liked the extended mag release lever (MARS) and their rear site attached scope rail mount.

Aim surplus had some of the rail mounts for ~$130 best I can remember, but are showing sold out.

The email from Dublin said to go to para. No response from para.

Another shooter just put one of their top rail covers on a Saiga. However it was purchased elsewhere. I haven't seen it yet but will sometime before the end of the year. They seem to get good reviews.

I'm interested in the MARS as well.

My AK (Arsenal SGL21) gets more trigger time then any of my rifles. Just a lot of fun. A great hog gun also. Waiting for a stealth grey MagPul pistol grip.
uje3ajen.jpg

I'm still anxiously awaiting the Magpul AK mag.

Not that I have any trouble with my steel mags, but I'd like to put one through the paces just to see how it does.

I like the low profile side rail optic mount. Who makes that?

John A. said:
I'm still anxiously awaiting the Magpul AK mag.

Not that I have any trouble with my steel mags, but I'd like to put one through the paces just to see how it does.

I like the low profile side rail optic mount. Who makes that?
That's a Royally Screwed AKM. I searched all over to find a low 30mm mount. I tried the gas tube mounts but they all seemed unstable and pretty much eliminate access to your gas block for cleaning without losing zero. Plus that tube gets crazy hot so it doesn't seem like a good place for an optic to me. None of the dust cover mounts (that I'm willing to pay for anyway) are stable enough for a sight either. The AKM is the only side mount I found that would allow any co-witness with the irons (not quite lower 3rd). Rock solid an keeps zero if you take it off. If you're nervous about losing zero though, the rifle can be disassembled with it still installed.
http://www.rsregulate.com
pyvusyta.jpg
rydy4avu.jpg
e3y6a6u8.jpg
ubade4av.jpg
ejebagen.jpg

John A. said:
Not that I have any trouble with my steel mags...

Same here. I've got a dozen or so Bulgarian and Tapco magazines but my European milsurp steel mags are the best IMO. I'll be giving the MagPul a try as well should one mysteriously sneak into Colorado.

It's been a while since I updated pics of my AK. I've been trying to add different makes of mags based on country of origin to my collection.

Recently, I acquired an old blued Russian and a bolt hold open Yugoslavian and Chinese (which the chinese has been surprisingly difficult to track down someone willing to sell one considering they've not been legal for import for years now).

I have also added some textured magpul rail covers and an afg and it has improved the feel of the gun tremendously and I am very satisfied with the feel.

I know there are many "ak purists" just like there are many "tier 1" AR owners, but I set my guns up to my taste since ultimately I am the one who has to be happy with them, and I take my weapons seriously.

I recently added a light to mine, so I am unsure if I will go through the expense of adding night sights or not now, but I am enjoying setting up all of my "defensive" guns pretty much being the same way.

stg2000_zps0b47d3ff.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back