• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AOW and SBS pics

If you can buy one already made by a manufacturer, an AOW is $5 transfer, but if you make one, it's $200

Yeah, that is what I meant! My apologies, I re-read what you said, and saw you want to MAKE one! Slight misunderstanding :)

I want to just buy one haha
Are their AOW rifles? :p

The only Serbus (Serbues, Serboos, Serbui) I see in stores around here are going for a premium, closer to $700-$800. Too rich for my blood. I'm actually looking to go SBS with my 590 after the holidays, so I should eventually have something to contribute to this thread...

WOW!!! Last month I handled one that was priced $525.. shoulda gotten out the credit card apparently... haha would have been able to put Rossignol's "Buy now, ask for forgiveness later" philosophy to the test :p

That is nuts... WAY to rich for most peoples blood.

Very nice on the SBS's...I am jealous.

I had read that unless one is a LEO or it's being procurred for the government, Mossberg doesn't want to bother with regular Joe's acquiring a SBR from them. Any truth in that?

Yes that is true, I was not sure how to word it to ask.

Are there* (not their haha) any AOW in rifle calibers? There we go.. :p
I like Kel-tec's SUB 2000 in 9mm.. not an AOW but sweet odd ball carbine :D

I really wish MI was less restricitve in this area.

There are SBS Mossbergs available at retail.

Not sure if they're purchased from Mossberg pre-configured as an SBS or if the retailer "manufactures" them, but they're out there. Buy one, submit your Form 4, pay your $200 tax stamp, and in 6-8 months it could be yours.

Itsricmo,

A shotgun is classified as an AOW only if it was originally manufactured in a pistol grip only configuration with a short barrel or had an 18" or longer barrel that was later shortened. The reason this is classified as an AOW is because there is no classification for a smoothe bore pistol with a bore diameter greater than .50". A shotgun purchased with a stock, reconfigured with a pistol grip only, and barrel shortened to under 18" is an SBS, not an AOW.

Having a shoulder stock is part of what classifies a rife as a rifle. For this reason, there is no such thing as an AOW rifle. It's either a rifle or an SBR. The closest you'll get in concept is an AR pistol. It must be built from a virgin receiver that has NEVER had a stock attached and must have a pistol buffer tube not capable of accepting a stock. There are .22lr versions that don't need a buffer tube and use a receiver end cap instead. Once you are in posession of this lower receiver set-up, you are legally allowed to purchase and mount an upper with a barrel under 16". According to the BATFE, this configuration is legally classified as a pistol. Of course some states differ in what is allowed, so it's always a good idea to contact your local BATFE office for laws in your area...

Ahh! Thanks for the clarification LES! I thought there were all different calibers of AOW. I understood the Pistol Grip part of a shotgun, that stuff makes sense. Now, say one buys the Chainsaw mossberg Zombie Slayer, It is manufactured with a Pistol Grip, could one only pay $5 to cut that barrel down making it an AOW?

Nope.

The $5 tax stamp accompanies an ATF Form 4 and is the "transfer" tax for a pre-fab'd AOW. If one already has a PGO shotgun, manufacturing the AOW yourself would first require an approved ATF Form 1 and a $200 tax stamp.

Now if you send your factory PGO shotgun to an FFL who has an SOT (Special Occupational Tax) stamp, they can "manufacture" the AOW for you and transfer it back to you with an approved ATF Form 4 and a $5 tax stamp.

This is, of course, assuming that you are legally allowed to own an AOW in your state...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Wow, I think that's the most acronyms I've ever typed in a single post... :lol:

hahaha That would be a REALLY confusing post to someone who doesn't know anything about this kinda stuff.. I should show that to my brother and see what he gets of it haah

Anyhow, thanks for the help! I am allowed to own one in PA, however, I think I need a LEO approval in my current county

Haha, nice.

Your County Sheriff's approval and signature is part of the process, but there's a lot more to it. It's a rather involved and lengthy process. The last NFA item I purchased took just over eight months from the time of purchase, to the time I got the approved paperwork back and was able to take it home.

As likely intended, the process itself forces a lot of potential buyers to question whether or not the item is worth the time, effort, and expense. If it's worth it to you, then by all means go for it. After all, we're still well within our rights to do so.

...at least for now...

Yeah, waiting is a royal pain.

I was right at six months on the machinegun, and that was a couple years ago.

I don't expect the wait times to be drastically reduced anytime soon either.

Nope, especially not leading up to or during an election year. I've also been told that the worst time to submit NFA paperwork is right after tax season. Seems a lot of folks like using their tax refunds to pay for tax stamps...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Seems a lot of folks like using their tax refunds to pay for tax stamps...

Aside from paying off a wedding dress and bands... I was planning on using the left over for this purpose... haha perhaps I shall reroute the funds for a pistol and good holster. Seem's like I won't be receiving one from my pops as initially thought anyhow

Back