• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeRotella, I paid $50, but considering that I live in the same state I would've had tax and if I had've paid shipping and transfer charges on top of that, I don't know how much I would've ended up spending on it.

I did buy another one earlier this year and it was upwards of $80 after all was said and done, so I'm content with $50 out the door. My FFL really done me right on this transfer.

On a positive note, I got a tracking number from PSA and the upper and the LPK ha shipped and supposed to be delivered Wednesday. Don't know why, but they have different tracking numbers. I don't know why they didn't just pack the LPK in the box with the upper, but whatever.

Also, it looks like PSA has dropped the price another $30 since I ordered mine last Friday. They're $269 for a complete upper now.

WOW !!

I couldn't cheap out and build a budget complete upper for that when I had my FFL's.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...m-1-7-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

KISS
k2-_c71be1d1-a2e9-4a83-9e9c-0b06f5b889e3.v1.jpg

Oh, sorry, I mean KISS
psamidlengthandersonbuild010_zpsb1a9b3ce.jpg

Bwahahahaha

Truth is though, I was having problems with the new AR when I was test firing it and setting the irons.

The bolt was super tight sliding in and out of the carrier out of the box. And I was getting a ton of short strokes. Fire a round and click, but no round stripped out of the mag, bolt not locking back on empty mag, bolt not locking all the way into battery, brass landing about 5 o' clock, etc.

I have since racked the charging handle about 150 times and it does seem to be a lot looser now more like it should. I also exchanged the buffer spring with a slightly shorter one (about an inch and a half shorter--no, not with a car collapsible spring, it was longer than that, but shorter than the regular A2 spring and less about 3 or 4 coils). I don't recall how or why I had the modified spring in my parts drawer, but the bag was labeled from brownells for a rifle stock, so we'll see how it goes the next time I take it out, which may or may not be tomorrow.

If it doesn't run right then, I'll have to contact psa and see how they want me to proceed, but it feels like it should now. I honestly think there was something going on with the bolt/carrier at first because it should not have been that tight, but by all appearances, it seems better now.

Last edited:
The little tweaks worked.

I went through 60 rounds of Remington UMC, Tula, Wolf and it ran 100% even with the cheap inconsistent stuff, so I am confident that it will work fine with everything else now.

The empties were still being thrown at 5 o'clock, but about 9 feet away from the ejection port, so it is still showing signs of being undergassed, but is no longer short stroking and locked back on the mags and functioned flawlessly otherwise.

I also tried a different bolt carrier group and it ran the same so it doesn't have anything to do with the bolt being tight.

Tried with a different lower that had a collapsible stock and standard buffer/spring and still ran the same as it did with the A2 stock so it doesn't have anything to do with the extra power that the rifle spring has either.

But like I said, it was functioning flawlessly now, and is accurate, so I'm gonna keep her. It'll be alright for a range gun, which is what I planned to do with it anyway.

Just a matter of trial and error one thing at a time.

The bolt is a LOT looser now, and I think that was the biggest culprit the first trip out.

With it being so tight, was taking a lot more effort to unlock from battery, and go into battery than normally would.

Of course the shorter chrome silicone buffer spring isn't hurting it any either, but it ran the same with either the collapsible stock assembly or the rifle assembly now, so all is well.

Or at least good enough for a range gun or beater gun or loaner gun or trunk gun or whatever you wanna call it.

Hey guys. Been a while since i been on here. Just couldn't wait til Xmas and took advantage of the black Friday deals at LaRue. Man do I regret not getting this kit sooner, just feels so perfect and looks bad ass. Had the stuff for a week or 2 but finally got time to put it on my M&P. If you are in the market for some new furniture, I "HIGHLY" recommend ANY LaRue Tactical products. And not just cuz they are Texas made but a quality product for the the money even if it costs a bit more than other comparable parts, you do get what you pay for.

Went out with my M&P 15 OR w/ 1:9 twist and 3-9x40 Burris Full Field E1 and tried my hand at 300 yards. Ammo is from a local company named Defender Ammunition. It was their 62 grain 5.56.

uploadfromtaptalk1419129224856.jpg

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

you guys sure do have some nice hardware.
am not really a black gun guy, am a marlin leverholic but bought myself a m and p 15 sport earlier in the year. know it is just a entry level AR, but really i just wanted it before the great state of california deems me and everyone else not worthy of owning one, and a great shtf rifle as well. anyway, i have put 1000 rounds threw her with out a single hiccup. was sighted in pretty well out of the box, and has eaten any and every type of ammo i have fed her with not issue. just had a nice sling made and i do plan on installing a A2 stock as well as a aimpoint red dot on her.
cheers.

Good choice. Thats what I started with. Eventually I'll just have a complete home build, and mine will be back to original. But for now its my base that I build off of.

i was going to build my own, but prices had dropped so low, that i did not think i could build a ar for less then i got the m and p 15 sport for. if i remeber correct i got her for right at 6 bills pls dros fee.
am very happy with it. would say it is great bang for the buck.
was looking a thread of AR's somewhere, and dam do some people bolt every doo dad and gadget to there rifles. like clean and simple.

Oh I agree totally, can't argue with the price. But add this, add that, always wanting to make it different, eventually you've put all aftermarket parts on a factory lower. Kinda like a small block Chevy. Eventually break down, buy the aftermarket lower, then put all your factory parts back together, and Ta-da. Two rifles. Lol

Amen to that.

I've usually got enough spare parts in my bins at any given time to assemble a working rifle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back