• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Armadillo attack

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
I post this in HD, because it really isn't about hunting. It's about HD.

These armored 4 legged back hoes seem to be worse this year than in past years. They seem to like fresh dirt, which is a problem because my wife likes to plant stuff in the yard every spring, and they always zero in on that; so not only do I end up planting new stuff every year, if it survives the dillos I have new obstacles to mow around.
icon_evil.gif
I've tried every known so called repellant on the market, and the only thing that seems to work is to stay up till the wee hours of the morning and choot 'em.
icon_twisted.gif

While that's fun and all, I'm of the age where I'm not inclined to stay awake long enough to catch them in the act. I'd have a fence installed, except for the money part of putting up one to surround about 2 acres. Maybe land mines?
icon_mrgreen.gif

Hire the neighborhood kids. Put a bounty on the four-legged back-hoes. Just make sure you have enough $$$ on hand...

Have you tried an electric wire around the planted area?

6000 volts can be highly persuasive...

Have you tried an electric wire around the planted area?

6000 volts can be highly persuasive...

Thought about it briefly, but not a viable option for me. I'll probably end up just spending a couple hundred a year on insecticide to kill off their food supply.

10 year olds and pellet rifles...works every time.

I had them at our last house in Missouri - I didn't take any chances with them based on they can carry leprosy - dispose of carefully!

10 year olds and pellet rifles...works every time.

I had them at our last house in Missouri - I didn't take any chances with them based on they can carry leprosy - dispose of carefully!

I was gonna suggest dogs. Do dogs get leprosy?

I was gonna suggest dogs. Do dogs get leprosy?
I don't know, but I know that I freaked out when I found my pointer trying to bite a damn 'dillo....he couldn't get a hold of him because the armor was too slick...confused the hell out of the dog. Nothing's fell off the dog yet...so maybe not?

Leprosy is too nasty of a disease to take a chance. Same with rabies. If I found varmints coming onto my space, they were toast. I know they were there first, but I'm not going to let my kids catch something crazy.

Had a new visitor on the back porch last nite about 10pm. Heard a ruckus, so flipped on the porch light and took a look. A bobcat staring back at me. Looked to be around 20 - 25 lbs. Took off a few seconds later, so no pic. Probably looking to snag my barn cat for a late night snack. It's a zoo here. :rolleyes:

No armadillos around here. I can't say I ever saw one. We do have ground hogs. My buddies dad pumps propane into the holes and lights it off with a pietzo spark.

No armadillos around here. I can't say I ever saw one. We do have ground hogs. My buddies dad pumps propane into the holes and lights it off with a pietzo spark.

Well, since the world according Gore is heating up, it won't be long before y'all in the frozen north have to deal with these varmints and others you may not have any experience with. :p

I just hope those giant armadillos from South America don't start moving north too. Those suckets have been recorded weighing as much as 180 pounds. That's not the kind of "pest" I ever want to have to deal with...

Well, since the world according Gore is heating up, it won't be long before y'all in the frozen north have to deal with these varmints and others you may not have any experience with. :p

I have a very simple philosophy… never trust a man in a tunic, never trust a man wearing a bow tie while not attending a ceremonial function, and if I can't identify it…. kill it with fire.

You can keep the armadillos but feral hog hunting sounds like fun.

What caliber do I need to kill a 180 pound armadillo?

Hunting the hogs is fun.

Dealing with the widespread path of destruction they cut while you're not hunting them is the real headache...

Careful, as word of your DU and RPG tactics spread among the key leaders of the armadillo clans, they'll start walking around with reactive armor shells and such. Hit em fast, hit em hard.

^ If the giant 'dillos attack in force, I'd suggest calling in air support. A Spectre gunship with 105 sabots oughtta do the trick...

Back