• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

East Coast Storm October 2012 (Sandy)

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I lost power here in CT at 4:05pm today. I bought a generator last Christmas while wandering around at Cabelas (where else would I be? LOL)...
Im on my couch in the dark on my phone. The wife is playing a game on the laptop till the battery runs out in a few hours, it's 3/4 full.
The fridge is on the gennie. Its nothing big....just enough to run the fridge or frezzer. One thing at a time. Its a 3500 watt gen. Max 4500. So I'm just using one appliance at a time. Had some reheated homemade beef stew for dinner. Microwave really strained the power. I think I need to invest in a bigger gennie next year. But for now this one will do....

My phone makes posting long winded posts a pita, so I'll need to make a few posts to keep the words flowing....

Re: East Coast Storm October 2012

I went over to my wifes job to a house that she runs on call. Its a home for aquired brain injury persons. She's one of the HBIC....(head b**** in charge...her words! Lol)
Anyhow...they lost power in their gennie and I had to go do some shadetree mechanics to it....but I got it runnin! Wooooooohooooooo...I was soaked after 10 minutes. A half hour later though it's workin....good thing it's not cold yet or I'd be a freeze pop. The wifes boss called to thank me profusely....it seems that the house manager over at house didn't get it serviced last storm after the same thing happened....so my wife is a little PO'd. Someone's a$$ is gonna get handed over. Go babe! Ream her a new one!!! I mentioned to the house staff that their manager needs to do her f****n job. You should have heard the applause to that comment. It was like I just won an Emmy...lol "Wooo an outsider said that, not staff!" That girl just looked at me with daggers....
Yeah? Hows it my fault you cant keep up with your tasks...I even came over here to help you out on the worst storm we ever seen in our life.....

My said that was great. That chick has been slacking off for a while, and this gives her fodder for a report on her....heh heh heh.

Anyhow....I might go to bed early so I can get up early to set up the gennie for my wife cuz she'll be working from home....typin up a report...;)

I'll be off to work though.....showerin in my sink in the am with cold watef. Woooooo

If you run two separate gennies, make sure you keep them on separate circuits otherwise you'll need a synchronizer.
you should be able to keep the laptop charged. mine only draws 120 watts max.

take it easy out there running around. A buddy in Maryland has been offline for a couple hours.

I hope you guys down south and inland near ny , nj area are safe. Same with you guys in tn area...

Post up whats the happenings if you'd like....

Take care my friends...and stay thirsty. ;)

I'm just runnin heavy gauge cords at the moment. There's only one receptacle on the thing....plus 2 other different plug types that I don't even have plugs for....so it's good.

I just told the wife that Fronty, ;) she's meowing up a storm of her own...lol

She'd prolly like it here until about April or May. Once you get thru the spring tornado season it warms up a bit...

your mystery plugs are probably 110 Volt 20 or 30 amp plugs.
nema-config-1ph-250v.gif

They look like the L5 & L14 in the yellow box. I'll have to get a good cord and new plugs for those, with a regular head plug on the one side. Can I do that?

ripjack13 said:
They look like the L5 & L14 in the yellow box. I'll have to get a good cord and new plugs for those, with a regular head plug on the one side. Can I do that?
sorta
the L5 is a 120 volt 20 amp plug. you can probably get an adapter off the shelf. you got 20 amps available. you can run bigger equipment off this or more equipment off it.
the L14 is a 220 / 120 volt plug. this is similar to what is supplied to your house, just about 1/10th the available current. You might get couple burners on an electric stove. they are usually on a 50 amp service to cover everything.

Right on.....thanx!

My family is experiencing Hurricane Sandy first hand, being 20 miles NW of center city Philadelphia...and even though the storm has been buffeting our region, we as a family have been prepared for disaster for years, having bought and stored the essentials such as food, water, candles, batteries, plywood, tarps, guns/ammo and a 7500 WATT 13 HP generator with 6.6 fuel tank with 30 gallons of extra gas and power strips. All three of our SUVs are also gassed up....and bug-out bags standing by !!

ALLPOWER7500WATT13HPGEN.jpg

Specs:

2-AC Duplex 120V Outlets, 1-120V Twist-Lock Outlet, 1-120/240V Twist-Lock Outlet, 1-12V DC

Full load fuel consumption (gallons/hour) 0.64

Rated wattage continuous (watts) 6000

Rated wattage peak (watts) 7500

Hope everyone here in the path of Hurricane Sandy is safe...good luck !!

From half a world away I wish you guys the best and hopefully a safe and mostly uneventful Hurricane Sandy. Most of my wife and I's family are from Maryland... so we're thinking about ya! We had a Tsunami warning two nights ago... this is really making me rethink my current lack of emergency supplies. Once again, hope everyone on the East Coast is safe and sound!

Any update from those of you up in the storm's path?

Just checking in and want to make sure you and your families are safe. Our prayers are with all of you...

My brother is in Dover, DE. He got hit pretty hard but he said the worst seems to be NJ. He made it through without any property damage or loss of power.

I was in NC for work until 3:00 yesterday and then travelled home to PA, arriving at 11:00. The farther north we got the worse it was until we were almost home and it eased up. It wasn't to bad coming up route 95 which is inland far enough. We did see a huge blue flash and watched as a community went black north of DC. We left Saturday and and the autumn foliage was great. We come home Monday and many tree are stripped bare. I won't have to rake the yard this fall...they all blew away.

I hope everybody made it through the storm ok - we got hit pretty bad here in RI but not as bad as NY and NJ from what I saw on the news - I bought a genarator that runs on propane after the last storm from Home Depot. 7k watts peek. Best money I spent on a non-firearm purchase.

This is SHOOTER13 reporting:

Well, my area weathered the worst that Sandy could muster with flying colors...

other than a major cleanup of limbs and branches...my few block radius went basically

unscathed...we lost cable TV and cable Internet from about midnite to 10 this morning...

and off in the distance our far neighbors are still without power, as I seen no lights last night

from my hilltop vantage point...and still hear their generators chugging this afternoon. I just

got back in from about four hours worth of picking up wood and leaves...but everyone is still

breathing.

That's all for now...this is SHOOTER13 reporting from SE Pennsylvania... hoping everyone made it

thru safe and wishing everyone good luck with their cleanup !!

I live in Central PA.

We had A LOT of rain, a lot of wind, but power never went out. We got some snow but nothing that sat on the ground. We got really lucky apparently, looking at the photos of New Jersey and New York!!

Back