• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Federal XM193 on SALE!

Heck yeah,

Between them and AIM Surplus I've really been stockin up lately. Been some really good deals out there...

DHonovich said:
Wish I had a AR15 right now...

Yep, or 556 at all. A Mini 14 is lookin good right now! Though I dont know if the case is the same... Hmmm, now I dont know.

Rossignol said:
Yep, or 556 at all. A Mini 14 is lookin good right now! Though I dont know if the case is the same... Hmmm, now I dont know.

It is. Mini-14s are chambered 5.56mm so it's all good.

nitesite said:
Rossignol said:

It is. Mini-14s are chambered 5.56mm so it's all good.

So no difference in the case length? Like 5.56 x ? You know how .308 Winchester is one length, but there are so many 7.62 chamberings... well, like 3 I can think of.

As I understand it, the only real difference between the two is the shorter 5.56 neck-down which allows for more powder and accounts for the increase in blast pressure. The overall case length is identical.

The problem in interchanging between .223 and 5.56 is if the firearm is built strong enough to handle the increased pressure of the 5.56. Mini 14's are robustly built like all Rugers and the design is strong, its literally a baby M14, bullet proof. The older ones have nicer sights, receivers, the newer ones have nicer barrels. I have one from the late 70’s and I don’t mind the thinner barrel, it’s on. I used to want the thicker barrel new model but I have since shot a couple and actually like everything else, other than the barrel, on mine… Might get a barrel stablizer for kicks one day but I wouldn’t trade now.

A 5.56mm chamber has a longer leade and throat cut into it for the longer heavier bullets found in military rounds like tracers. A shorter throat/leade in a .223-chambered rifle could lead to overpressure if a long bullet is jammed up against the rifling. Also, 5.56mm pressures max at about 10,000 higher PSI.

So you can shoot .223 Remington ammo all day long in a 5.56mm NATO or Wylde chamber. Case dimensions are externally identical.

Some day when you have a good hour or two try finding the ammo-oracle and sit back for a very informative dissertation on the two cartridges and their similarities and differences, ammo preferences, twist rates, pretty much anything and everything you want to ever know.

Man, I hate typing on my cars laptop in the dark....

So .223 is good to go in a 5.56 chambered gun, but not necessarily the other way around? Potentially bad with added pressure the barrel may not be designed for?

Ammo Oracle? Hmm, if I have the extra couple hours I'll do it! ;)

Oli, I've been lookin at new Minis for a while now! Inexpensive autoloader, nice gun! Selling new for around $600 +... about $660 after tax.

And deals like this on ammo make it worth having!

bench shooters will talk about bad accuracy from the mini, and they arent tack drivers but I can hit 12 inch gong target all day at 200 yards. I can get 6 to 7 inch groups at 100 standing off hand not really taking my time , but I have been shooting this gun for 25 years...my god I am getting old

So with sales like this on ammo, what kind (gr.) does the mini seem to like?

Back