• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Finally ordered my A1 today!! Strange Buds story.

tomcat

Hey all. Finally pulled the trigger so to speak and ordered an A1 from Buds. I had been watching one on there for a week hoping it would last until today so I could order it. Of course, it didn't and sold a couple days ago. Bummer. So I decide to order a 500 cruiser they had for 390. It wasn't really what I wanted but for those that remember my posts, I was pretty flexible on type as long as it was a 500,590, or A1. I wanted a 6 shot so I could easily swap barrels. The cruiser had 8 shots but I figured I could shoot clay a little with it as some of you here have done it with the 20 inch barrel and then buy a better clay gun if I liked it and stuck with it. I ordered it because it is hard to find a lot of different guns now and doesn't look like it will get any easier. So, I order the cruiser last night with the intention of buying a stock right away. Luckily I held off on ordering a stock until today. Here is were the story gets weird and a little disheartening. I woke up this morning to an email from Buds saying they cancelled the order the reason was "we are not currently shipping this gun to NY". My heart sank. I was thinking maybe they decided to just not deal with this state anymore or were confused about the new law as it relates to mag capacity. It's now 7 max for those that don't know but only applies to detacheable mags and NOTHING in the new law applies to pump action shotguns. You can have PG only, collapsible/folding stocks, etc. So I call to see whats up wait on hold about 15 minutes and a very nice rep tells me "It is tactical. It looks too tactical the owners have decided not to ship guns that look too tactical to NY anymore". Honest to God, that was what he said!!! I was stunned. So he says you can order one with a stock and it should be fine. I couldn't help it and said are you serious?!?! THAT is the reason?!?!?! He said yes. Now look, I could accept if they thought 8 shot was no good, or even if they didn't want to risk dealing with NY altogether (even though that would be far worse). But to say it looks too tactical is absurd!!! That is exactly what this Governer basically did, and what Obama wants, to ban guns that "look" a certain way. I post this just to let my fellow NY'ers know so they don't try to order a PG only from Buds. I think it's a shame a gun dealer would do this. Anyway, i'm not looking to slam them. It's their company and perhaps the rep gave a confused version of the policy and that maybe they think PG is no good on shotguns here now, though they are completely legal still. I am very much leaning towards this being the real reason. Just thought I'd share.

Anyway, to wrap up a long post, the great rep was very helpful. I told him i had been watching the A1 but it was gone now and asked if there happened to be any sort of waitlist or if they happened to have any they didn't list yet. And, THEY HAD 1 :) I ordered it of course (as you figured out by the title of this post :lol: ) and it is now in the shipping dept. That was the other point of this post. For those not familiar with Buds, i guess it doesn't hurt to call and ask if they maybe have something not listed online.

Well, I've rambled long enough. Just wanted to share my excitement!! Finally going to be a real MO!!!

glad to hear you got your 590. unreal how dumb some people are. thats obamas herd.

another reason i painted my m-60 pink,so it dosent look so scary. :lol:

Congrats on the purchase. I've always had good luck dealing with Buds and honestly, I'm a bit surprised by their response on your first order. Only thing I can think of is that their Lawyer told them that there was some murkiness to the NY Bill and they are better safe than sorry until things get settled and cleared up.

[/quote]another reason i painted my m-60 pink,so it dosent look so scary. :lol:[/quote]

:lol: Maybe I'll lash some daisey's to my receiver.

Yeah Tim. The more I think about it, that must be the reason, the PG, as it is now no good on the AR or any other rifle. I think the rep just got confused about the reason and said that. It just blew my mind hearing it. The rep was great and I am very happy with Buds. I honestly don't blame them for being hesitant at all.

This model has a speedfeed stock. Until I get the money to replace the stock, does anyone know if I could install a limbsaver pad on it? Will it work with the plate that holds the speedfeed componenets in? I know they have the slip on kind but didn't want to add to the LOP by slipping it over the pad it will come with. If ths is the easiest and cheapest option, I will do it for now until I can get the ATI talon collapsible stock.

Picked her up yesterday. Bought 50 rounds of Rio shells. Hoping to hit the range Sunday to take her for a spin, weather permitting.

on the new mossy. :)

heading out to calverton?

Attachments

• 7fbc4118_12982.gif
    7fbc4118_12982.gif
    94.4 KB · Views: 299
Nice!

So how much time have you spent handling that thing since you picked it up? I couldn't put mine down the first day or so... :D

That's the plan Old mossy. LES, I considered calling into work just to keep messing with it. Lol. That about says it all. But I did force myself to stay up a good hour late yesterday after I picked it up racking it and practicing loading with dummy rounds then couldn't fall asleep for another hour thinking about it. Lol. I posted in the other thread it does have the "rust" spot in the barrel. Hoping after cleaning, firing, and re-cleaning it goes away.

I know the feeling tomcat! :lol:

When I bring a new one home it gets cleaned straight away and put in the safe. Gets pulled outta the safe about five more times before the night's over. Keep us posted on the spot in your barrel. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a few rounds down the tube will get rid of it for you...

Ok here's the update. Went out Sunday and shot 100 rounds of 2&3/4 target loads (estate and Rio) and 25 Remington 2&3/4 1 oz (i think) slugs I've had left over for about 10 years since I shot a friends gun. I didn't shoot all of this myself, but me and another buddy split it fairly evenly and my shoulder is thankful for that! We had a great time and I absolutely loved it. It fired great and since the range only has a few designated SG points and they are all at 50 yds, it was very beneficial to have the 3 dot "rifle" sights on it that Buds surprised me with (I'd ordered just the bead version). It was pretty accurate for the slugs and I'm sure as I practice more it will get even better. What a great time. Very happy.

Now, as far as the "rust" spots. I cleaned it before shooting but couldn't really scrub the barrel too well as I had not realized that the brass bore brush I bought wouldn't fit onto my rifle rod. So I did the best I could cleaning the barrel with hoppes 9. The spots were still there as expected. Cleaned the rest of the gun. Hit the range, fired what I mentioned above, came home and had to run out for the rest of the day. I didn't get to clean it until Monday (a day later) I used the right brush and rod and CLP only. Never used CLP before but it seemed to work great. I SCRUBBED the area with the spots really well several times after letting the CLP soak in for almost an hour. The spots faded almost completely away. I reassembled and checked it about an hour later and the big spot reappeared slightly though substantially faded. The other spots (one is a perfect ring where the barrel starts to taper down right past where the shell would sit when loaded in the barrel) returned like they were never cleared away.

Now my question is this. Do you guys think it will fade if I: 1. Use a dedicated bore scrubber or other cleaner and maybe let it set in over night or something and 2. Clean it a lot quicker after shooting. I live 15 minutes away so realistically could get it started within about 1/2 hour of shooting. Thoughts or advice? Maybe more powerful rounds? Anything? I'm really trying not to go through the hassle of swapping the barrel out with Mossberg as I don't want to be without the gun for a month or more as some guys on here have reported. Of course, if nothing else winds up working, I will have to. I am thinking now this must be rust because why else would it fade almost completely away then return fully within the hour? I'd post pics but it is exactly the same as other pics of this issue.

Tom, do you see and pitting at all? if not i would try a little polishing on that spot. you can take some scotch brite with some oil and using a spinning motion on the cleaning rod.
sounds like you really don't want to ship it back,can't blame ya. just one idea.i'm sure someone will have others on cleaning it up. :)

It's worth a shot Mossy. Thanks. There is no pitting. The rest of the barrel is pristine near as i can tell. I wouldn't mind sending it back if it wasn't for the fact that the weather will be getting warmer soon and don't want it out for 2 months. Another guy on here said he said he talked them into sending a new barrel THEN he would send the bad one back. I may try that if necessary. Thanks Carbine Mike. It's a great gun besides this minor problem.

just my opinion, but all these barrels i've seen here with this problem none effects the performance and most seem to clean themselves up. like i said, just my 2 cents. :)

Back