• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Five dead, including gunman, in Tennessee military facilities shootings

S

SHOOTER13

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn., July 16 (Reuters) - Four Marines were killed on Thursday by a gunman who opened fire at two military offices in Chattanooga, Tennessee, before being fatally shot in an attack officials called a brazen, brutal act of domestic terrorism.

The FBI named the suspect as Mohammod Youssuf Abdulazeez, 24, but said it was too early to speculate on a motive for the rampage, which comes at a time when U.S. military and law enforcement authorities are increasingly concerned about the threat posed by "lone wolves" to domestic targets.

"We are treating this as an act of domestic terrorism," Bill Killian, the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Tennessee, said earlier, adding that no official determination of the nature of the crime had yet been made and the Federal Bureau of Investigation has not ruled anything out.

"While it would be premature to speculate on the motives of the shooter at this time, we will conduct a thorough investigation of this tragedy and provide updates as they are available," the agency said in a statement.

NBC reported that Abdulazeez was a naturalized American born in Kuwait and U.S. officials said law enforcement authorities were investigating whether he was inspired by Islamic State or a similar militant group.

According to a resume believed to have been posted online by Abdulazeez, he attended high school in a Chattanooga suburb and graduated from the University of Tennessee with an engineering degree.

"I remember him being very creative. He was a very light minded kind of individual. All his videos were always very unique and entertaining," said Greg Raymond, 28, who worked with Abdulazeez on a high school television program.

"He was a really calm, smart and cool person who joked around. Like me he wasn't very popular so we always kind of got along. He seemed like a really normal guy," Raymond said.
Mary Winter, president of the Colonial Shores Neighborhood Association, said she had known Abdulazeez and his family for more than 10 years and was stunned at the crime.

"We're all shocked and saddened," Winter said. "He never caused any trouble. We can't believe that this happened. We were just planning to have a swim team banquet tonight."
President Barack Obama offered his condolences to the victims' families and said officials will be prompt and thorough in getting answers on the shootings.

"It is a heartbreaking circumstance for these individuals who have served our country with great valor to be killed in this fashion," he said in a statement from the Oval Office.

The Department of Homeland Security was stepping up security at certain federal facilities and supporting the FBI investigation, DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson said in a statement.

Chattanooga is a city of about 173,000 people along the Tennessee River in the southeast of the state.

The suspect, seen driving an open-top Ford Mustang, is believed to have first gone to a joint military recruiting center in a strip mall and sprayed it with gunfire, riddling the glass facade with bullet holes.

"Everybody was at a standstill and as soon as he pulled away everyone scrambled trying to make sure everyone was OK," said Erica Wright, who works two doors down from the center.
Armed forces recruiting centers are often located in shopping centers and other prominent places.

The gunman then drove off to a Naval Reserve Center about 6 miles (10 km) away, fatally shooting the four Marines before being shot and killed in a firefight with police.

Three others were wounded in the attacks, including a police officer reported in stable condition and a Marine.

The shootings began at about 10:45 a.m. local time (1445 GMT) and ended about 30 minutes later.

At least three people were wounded in the attacks, including a Marine and a Navy sailor who is in critical condition, according to the hospital. One of those hurt was a police officer who was in stable condition.

Police blocked access to the street where the suspected gunman lived in an upscale suburb. Only residents with photo IDs were allowed to pass and all cars coming and going were stopped.

Local media said memorial services for the victims would be held in various Chattanooga churches tonight.

"We condemn this horrific attack in the strongest terms possible," said Nihad Awad, national director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Good grief....here we go again!

My condolences to the slain...'cept for the dead emeffer who caused it all.

This is a new age we're living in now...better get used to the body count climbing.:( Anything I can say just doesn't do it justice...sick bastards.

Prayers for the victims that lost their lives, were wounded and their families.

In the one picture of a door riddled with bullet holes you can see the no guns sign.

Edit:
11751934_676590619141150_7372994641303141827_n.jpg

Last edited:
Time to put guns back in the spotlight.

Horrible event but thats what popped into my mind. We just seem to go from tragidy to crisis to ....

What ever happened to happy feel good news, it just doesnt seem to happen any more.

You want good news...!?

Only this much time left until Obama leaves office:

553 days...7 hours...13 minutes...7 seconds...and counting until Friday, January 20, 2017 (Washington DC EST)

"act of domestic terrorism"

Muslim piece of shit was born in Kuwait, and yet, they're calling it DOMESTIC terrorism?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.

"Domestic terrorism" means activities with the following three characteristics:
  • Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
  • Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and
  • Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.
Take care. Tom Worthington

Crazy thing is, the only headlines we saw here in Nashville today were about the goofy green haired SOB being found guilty or the Iran nuke talks. There was a blip on the radar for a few minutes this morning, but then it went dark.

Prayers and condolences to the families and loved ones of the murdered Marines...

news has been saying that the shooter used a "MILITARY STYLE" weapon.

4 marines who I'm sure all had combat tours somewhere. 4 marines who took a tough job trying to recruit young men and women in a time when people are shitting on the flag they're trying to defend. 4 marines who couldn't defend themselves because politicians write laws that to "protect us from evil" that then trickle down to military policy. I'm so deeply sorry for the families of my fellow service members who we're looking forward to a nice weekend with their loved ones. Our liberal media might not give a rats ass, but know that many of us do. Rest in peace marines.

It's like gasoline prices. There will probably be a bump in AR style rifle prices soon. Take care. Tom Worthington

4 marines who I'm sure all had combat tours somewhere. 4 marines who took a tough job trying to recruit young men and women in a time when people are shitting on the flag they're trying to defend. 4 marines who couldn't defend themselves because politicians write laws that to "protect us from evil" that then trickle down to military policy. I'm so deeply sorry for the families of my fellow service members who we're looking forward to a nice weekend with their loved ones. Our liberal media might not give a rats ass, but know that many of us do. Rest in peace marines.
They should follow the same thinking that made the LEOSA possible and extend it to, at the very least, military personnel and their families. Especially when they can't secure these people's private information safe in government databases. More good guys with guns is A Good Thing (TM). Unfortunately, this doesn't fit the current administration trend of classifying vets as psychologically unstable and dangerous.

We both know that is a step in the right direction, though it's not going to happen.

At the same time, where state laws allow, there is nothing stopping them from doing it on their own.

At least in respect to their families. I know that the soldiers will still be restricted on base and other official places, but that should change as well.

I'm holding my breath waiting for one of the elected puppets to write a bill saying as much, but am not hopeful that it will happen.

I think one thing that is derogatory to the families of soldiers from obtaining CCW permits is they are moved around often and every time their feet hit new ground, they have to start all over again, or their CCW's are invalid altogether in a new state.

We have been infringed for far too long.

Just because I am standing in a different state, does not mean that my life is worth any less.

I firmly believe that in this day and age military members should be allowed to carry side arms...at least E-5 and above.

The more that are armed on bases and recruitment centers...the more that can return fire on a active shooter....which IS the new world order thanks to that wimp in the WH.

Everyone sems to be overlooking the most obvious solution:

Kidding aside. There are those that would see armed military (can't believe I even just said that phrase) as a sure sign of domestic military take over.

Ultimately, If we trust these folks to fight for and defend our freedoms overseas then why not let them defend those same principles when on bases/facilities here?

I want to pose a hypothetical question. Or perhaps a hypothetical statement.

I will say first that I believe that law abiding citizens should be able to carry anywhere. Everywhere for that matter. This especially includes our military.

But my "hypothetical" is that should not just stop at the military. This should include all places where "I" as a law abiding citizen am. "I" means "ANY" law abiding and competent citizen of legal age.

Military bases.

My places of employment.

Your places of employement.

See where this is going?

Worked for the DoD for 35 years...HQ was at Fort Belvoir, VA...and traveled to various Military Bases across the US for the job...which usually had armed guards at the front gate...security checks on vehicles...and other spot checks by MP's if there was a civilian road that went on and through the base at any point. Of course, after 9/11...even more security layers were added.

The recent shootings by IMT's ( Islamic Militant Terrorists ) have been on soft targets after Hassan's attack at Fort Hood...so I think those military recruitment stations and family help centers should have at least one person with a weapon on guard at all times...if nothing else, an E-5 or above with a side arm...because Obama's "JV Team" and it's lone wolves are now inside the gates and rampaging.

If the military can be trusted with firearms defending our freedom in hot spots around the world...I think we can trust a few more trained specifically to carry in protection of their own lives while in uniform here in the states.

Me...I've been carrying a concealed sidearm most of my adult life...for the DoD...then with a PA LTCF after retirement. NEVER leave home without it !!

Back