• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Gold Dot .223 64gn

This is considered one of the highest performing and effective bullets in stringently controlled tests and in recorded law enforcement shootings. It is simply excellent.Works well in all twist rates too.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of Gold Dot. I use it across multiple calibers for important stuff. Everything from .308 to .223 to .40sw. It's the projectile I reach for when I need to depend on something for DLP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gold dots definetly set a standard in the pistol calibers. I have never used it in rifle caliber. I did ask the ex wife about it she said they used it for a long time but her dept has switched to the hornady TAP ammo. I went ahead and ordered 10 boxes of the gold dot to get the free shipping. It appears to be a very good quality defense round at good price.

The 5.56 TAP round that is red polymer tipped is shit for LEO except in the most unusual circumstances like some hostage rescue or something. If is nothing more than Hornady's V-Max varmint bullet that barely penetrates and horribly disintegrates in the first three to four inches. It was NEVER developed for law enforcement or self defense. It just looks tactical with its red poly tip. It is a GIMMICK.

The Hornady TAP round that is 75-gr is an OTM round and it is OK but is an icepick at 100-yards because of velocity and the OTM isn't a hollow point.

I've seen .223 Gold Dot 75-gr video where the round (fired from an 11.5" SBR) went thru a car windshield then ballistic gel and drove 19" with 80% weight retention.

The ONLY bullets I am as confident in (other than the Gold Dot) are the Swift Scirocco which is a unicorn in 5.56, and the Barnes all-copper if you expect that you might need barrier blind ammo.

The problem with the BARNES copper bullet is the it is quite long for its weight and thusly needs a faster twist. If you shoot heavier than 62 gr copper you have to step up to a 1:8" or a 1:7" barrel. But damn, as far as barrier blind the BARNES will not self destruct nearly as much as a cupro-nickle-clad lead core bullet/

Dj~ I hope your wife has the 75-gr OTM TAP because the other is very questionable IMO.

They buy bulk annually. Im sure to the lowest bidder. I do know they are given 55grn for the issued old air force M16s. She is running the 75grn in personal Spikes carbine her go to rifle. The old m16s rarely leave anyones trunk anymore.
I just gave a call outvof curosity. The TAP they purchased do not polytips ? She said the 55s say TAP Barrier on box.

Last edited:
Dj~

I should have added in Post #5 the Hornady GMX Barrier to my short list of worthwhile duty ammo. I mistakenly omitted it although I definitely know about the brand and that particular bullet. My mistake. I just hardly see it in the field.

The only GMX Hornady I would avoid is the Hornady Superformance if it is being shot in pistols or carbine length gas systems.

That's a dang good price. I bought 200 rounds last time they had it on sale. Also bought 100 rounds of the 75 gr, I think it was the same price.

I believe it is, from the description. I also like the Federal Fusion 62 gr MSR round, but they are about $15 a box. The Speer GDSP seems like an excellent deal when I consider I paid more than $9.99 for 55 gr FMJ 3 years ago. Of course that was right in the middle of the "shortage".

Back