• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Oh The Dilemma: 3", 4" or 5"?

Well I have been really, REALLY looking into my decision of a side arm.

My original choice has been a Springfield Armory XD 3" Sub Compact. But I have been looking through other forums about pistols and CCW. I originally though that the smaller the better, but I am beginning to think that, that isn't completely true.

Many people I have read, carry a 5" 1911, and some carry 4" barreled pistols just as well and say it is actually the grip that makes it comfortable, not the barrel. I don't have a whole lot of experience with pistols other than shooting a few with family. I guess I am looking towards you guys here on MO to help me out. I know a lot of you from discussions and take a lot of what you say with great respect. I trust there will be some great information to consider when picking my first pistol for CCW and just a great pistol altogether :D

Just some background:
I like Springfield XD's ( I have played with many at the gun store)
Glocks are nice too ;)
and there are a few 1911's in my budget that I have considered lately :)

Re: Oh The Dilemma: 3", 4" or 5"?

Is there a place near you that rents handguns?

If so, I'd spend some time there trying out a few of the different models you're considering on the range. No amount of advice from us will trump the way a handgun feels and performs for you.

If not, you're in the same situation I've always been in. I've never been able to shoot first and buy after, so the feel of a pistol goes a long way for me. Some handguns feel like a brick in your hand and others just feel wrong alltogether. Sometimes though, you pick one up that feels like you're shaking hands with an old friend. If you can't get out and shoot 'em, get your hands on as many as you can until you find the one that feels the best as fas as the weight, balance, and you want it to point like your finger. It needs to feel natural.

As far as length goes, you'll likely get a pretty diverse array of responses. As a kid, I learned to shoot on a Commander length (4.25") 1911. I suppose it's conditioning but whether it's a 1911 or a Glock, a 4" barrel still feels best to me. As far as performance on target goes, I'm just as consistent with a 4" as I am with any of my 5" pistols. I'd actually throw my 3" Kimber in the mix there too.

The biggest factor in accuracy and consistency on target is going to be your ability to control movement in the weapon as you pull the trigger. Finding a hangun with a smooth trigger pull that has a clean, crisp break, minimal over-travel, and a short reset will make much more of a difference on target than give or take an inch of barrel length...

Thank you for the reply L.E.S! I sadly do not have a range that rents guns near by. The nearest would likely be about 2 or 3 hours away.

I have gotten to hold and man-handle a Springfield XD in 3" and 4". Both felt excellent in my hand and surprisingly the trigger wasn't that bad at all.

I got to hold a few Para Ord. pistols ranging in difference lengths and all felt VERY heavy, but I believe this is due to the nature of the beast! :p

I guess ultimately I shall keep trying to get my hands on guns! It is hard to do so being only 20.. Lately everyone has been carding.. (East Coast Gun Sales had a little mishap where the store owners son was pawning off pistols for drugs and favors... so now pistols and sales are being watched like road kill by Buzzards..)

With your personal experiences with multiple pistols and platforms, which seems to be the best handling? (I understand it may be different for me, but it would be a good start)

No problem Sir,

Always glad to offer opinions, however misguided they may be. :lol:

Someone here on the forum asked me a while back if I could keep only one pistol which one it would be. The answer hasn't changed, my Glock 19 hands down...

I have been eyeing up a Taurus 605, 5 shot .357 magnum for carry. A 1911 would be awesome too!
CDNN has the Taurus for $319 in stainless steel.

Let us know what you decide on.
normal_target-sports-2012-3-000007.jpg

The Springfield felt good in the hand but he M&P 40c/9c and the G19 are the two that I shoot the best. And that comes after shooting a lot and buying a lot. I'm really not a fan of grip safeties like the Springfield carries.

I've bought and sold a lot over the years. Ironically Glock was the first gun I picked up and immediately put it down because it felt so awkward. Many years later I actually shot one and that's what I carry now. I still miss my M&P 40c though.

Grip is what makes the difference when carrying. Good holster and belt help a lot in that area. By good belt I mean actual gun belt not just a heavy leather one from TSC.

I use the Wilderness Instructor belt. For holsters I have a local guy that makes kydex ones similar to the RCS design.

Choosing a sidearm is about as personal a choice as you can make. With all the different models out there, it could be a tough choice.
New handguns are great, but don't count out used guns. I have been finding great quality used guns lately at roughly half the cost of new. Take your time, handle as many different guns as you can, don't jump on the first gun you handle and have fun. Don't let the local gun shop commando talk you into something you don't have a warm fuzzy about. The sidearm you choose could potentially save your life one day, so you owe it to yourself to make the best decision you can.
I read ALOT about different handguns. Research can help you narrow down your choices.
For me the Sig P250 Compact feels the best in my hand. It has a decent price point and has a great, but long, trigger. They can be had for around $450 new. I EDC a P250C .45, Glock 30, or Glock 21 depending on my mood and dress. I CCW the P250C or G30, and the G21 is the pistol that travels to work with me in the car everyday as I cannot carry while at work. I also carry a Smith 042 Airweight J-frame .38 as a BUG.
Don't count out revolvers, as carbinemike has pointed out. I have a Stainless Taurus Model 85 that I like very much and is the gun I carry the most when I am out exercising.
If you plan to conceal carry, weight is a big factor. The poly frame guns weigh alot less and carry much more comfortably for longer periods in my opinion. Along with that, remember to buy a quality holster and belt. A quality holster and belt go along way to all day comfort, which means you will carry it all day and not leave it in the car.

Some awesome stuff there, Guys! Thanks!

I stopped at a few Gun Shops yesterday and looked at many things your pointed out. Most noteably I stopped at Gander Mtn. and looked at a large selection of firearms.

SEMI-AUTO
Springfield Armory XD9SC/XD40SC................... Still Awesome
Springfield Armory XD40 4"............................... I prefer the balance of the Sub Compact more
Springfield Armory 5" Tactical........................... Almost as nice as the Sub but not quite like a 1911
Springfield Armory XD(m) 3.8" .45acp............... Is in consideration but for the price I can get a Glock
Springfield Armory XD(s) .45acp....................... Too Thin for my hands

S&W 40c 4"...................................................... Blugh*
S&W 9mm 4".................................................... Blugh*
* I don't know what it is, but these are a FOR SURE NO! I love their revolvers but just not their CCW guns

Glock Mod 27 40 S&W..................................... Not too Shabby*
Glock Mod 19 9mm..........................................^^^*
*My only complaint is the Grip. Not as aggressive as I would like and the MOD27 is too short. Any Grip extensions available?

Remington R1................................................ They should have left it too COLT
Kimber Raptor II............................................ AMAZING!!! Out of price range haha
Kimber Ultra Carry II..................................... ^^^^ x2
Kimber Desert Warrior.................................. If I had the money I would hands down get this one
Taurus Stainless........................................... This is a serious contender on the 1911 side
Springfield Armory........................................ Very nice gun*

*While it is a very nice gun, I think it was a bad apple out of the batch. Finish was very poor and the sights were visibly off center, and not even inline with each other. More so, the sights that were equipped were Target sights, so that busted that model out of my choices anyhow.

I looked at a Les Bear they had in for Pick-up. The kind Sale Associate offered for me too look at it at the stores cost if I damaged it :p I can say, they are VERY nice guns. Worth $3000?? I don't know... haha

I am still in search for a Rock Island Armory Tactical 1911 in .45 acp. My uncle has one as does a buddies father. Both are unwilling to travel a distance to let me handle and shoot it. My Uncle lives about 2 hours away and same with my Buddies friend. But my understanding is they are a GREAT sub $600 1911 and some where to start.

I also picked up a ATI Titan FX45... It had a 3.25" barrel and weighed as much as my Blazer. Just thought I needed to add that haha :)

Overall, I have come to realize though, that the 3" feels better to me than the 4" and the 5" better than both. The SA 5" Tac. was a really nice sidearm but for the money I could get the Taurus Stainless with Novak sights. S&W needs to do something different with the grips on their Compact models, they just weren't fitting right. I can now see what you guys mean about the FEEL of the gun in my hands. It's like the Swing of a good shotgun! Can anyone offer up any ideas about a good holster?

FOBUS?
Blackhawk?
Uncle Mikes?

Itsricmo said:
Glock Mod 27 40 S&W..................................... Not too Shabby*

*My only complaint is the Grip. Not as aggressive as I would like and the MOD27 is too short. Any Grip extensions available?

Yup,

Here's my G26 with a Pearce Grip +2 extension...

Ohh... It looks just like it was meant to be there too! Thanks for the post LES!
Well so far on the list of considerations for sure:

Taurus Stainless 1911
Springfield Armory XD9SC
Glock MOD 27 9mm

I am waiting to see the RIA 1911 or 1911 Tactical before I add them for sure.
I cannot find a weight on the RIA for comparison

FFL question

S I ordered a handgun from an online website and gave the FFL the information. I emailed him to make sure he received information and my DL etc ( I made the mistake once of sending info to wrong person so I wanted to make sure). Heard nothing back from him. Tried calling the next day and heard nothing. Left message and heard nothing. After 48 hours after I bought the handgun and gave the FFl all the proper information I was peeved nothing had happened yet (I called the seller the day before and he said he hasn't received anything). I called the seller again in the morning of the next day and still nothing so I called a couple FFLs to see if I could use them instead. I found someone and called the seller back and he said the original FFL sent in his info and the gun shipped. So the gun arrived to my FFL today according to the seller so i called so we could set up a date to get the paperwork started and no answer. Left a message. Never called back. I shot him another email. Nothing. What the hell is going on? I am just trying to get a product that I paid a lot of money for. How long can he hold it without contacting me????

Re: FFL question

Some sellers do not send buyer information with the transfers and the FFL does not know who to contact when the firearm arrives. If the seller has tracked the firearm and is showing delivery to your FFL, I would just go up there to complete the transaction. Some FFL holders dislike doing transfers and can be difficult to work with, but if they have your info there's no reason they should not call you back...

Well he has everything and won't return calls or emails. Once I get my handgun I will be making sure others know of the headache this has been so they can go through someone who is more professional.

I don't blame you one bit.

My local shop does transfers all the time. There are occasions when I'm in the store and a transfer shows up with no name or information at all and they have no idea who ordered it. There's no good reason the shop you used won't return your call if he's got your info and I'd be aggrivated too. Good luck get'n it sorted out...

Well here we are again. I am considering a Glock 29 primarily for the 10mm in the small package that I can either CC or stuff in my HAWG that I take everywhere ….not into stores and stuff but in my vehicle and in the woods always.
I have been using my CZ for this since I gave my Sigma to my son because he had nothing for a defensive pistol. I want to get my CZ back into the HD rotation, front room gun and fun shooting gun but it’s been living in the Camelbak. The Sigma worked good and concealed good and was light …..the grip on the CZ is realy hard to hide.
I considered an EAA Witness Carry P in 10mm because I like the design a lot .
I plan on reloading 10mm and I plan to reload them to original spec, not max but stout. I understand that can cause problems with the EAA over time. If it was a true CZ I wouldn’t worry but it is a knock off and I don’t have as much faith in it, even if it’s just in my head I hate doubting a gun.
Enter the Glock……might sound weird but the Sigma turned me into a Glock fan although I never owned one. The more I looked into it the better it sounds, being built around the 10mm. But in particular the ability to change it around. Keep it OEM for the CC, and basically turn it into a 20 for woods weapon. I have seen some 4+ inch barrels for it to pump up the fps and the adaptors that you can put on 20 mag to extend the handle of the 29…..honestly I think the longer barrel wouldn’t bother me in conceal carry, it’s the long grips that kill me…it would look like I am carrying a ray gun but whatever.

The problem I see with the 29 is losing velocity of the 10mm,I mean why have it if its replicating a 40SW…….. sounds like that can be remedied if you can deal with an inch and a half of barrel hanging out of the end of the slide.

Anyway what am I missing? Is my logic sound? …..nothing is written in stone but I want that caliber because…..well I haven’t owned one yet and you only live once

I want to hear from people with some Glock time , EAA time, 10mm time, reloaders(NS), conceal carriers, woods walkers.

Well oli,

All I can offer up is my time behind Glocks of all shapes and sizes. Can't say much that I haven't said before, I love 'em all. I've CC'd all of mine at one time or another including the beefy G21 and the baby G26 is just as consistent on target as its longer barreled counterparts. I know nitesite has a 10mm Glock and reloading experience, so he'll be a lot more help with specifics...

Back