• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Has anyone bought ammo in New York

old mossy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Just wondering if anyone has bought ammo in NY this year, and did they have to go through a background check?

Got an email from MidwayUSA today,,,,,,thanks Gov Cumo,,

Your Backorder & NY SAFE Act
Trash
x
MidwayUSA <email@midwayusa.messages5.com>

5:41 PM (4 hours ago)

to me
Customer Notification | Email problems? View online.
Note: This email was sent from an outgoing-only email address that is not monitored.
Please do not reply to this message.
MidwayUSA

Dear XXXX,

In On January 14, 2013, the NY Safe Act was signed into law. A portion of this new law restricts the sale of ammunition into the state of New York after January 14, 2014 by requiring all retail ammunition sales to occur face to face.

In order to ensure all ammunition is delivered prior to the active date of the law, as of today, we unfortunately will no longer be able to ship ammunition to New York State.

This law also affects current ammunition backorders with MidwayUSA. If we are currently holding backordered ammunition that is in stock, waiting on other products to ship, we are sending the ammunition out today to ensure full compliance with the law. If your backordered ammunition is not in stock, we unfortunately have to cancel it.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

For more information:
http://www.governor.ny.gov/nysafeact/gun-reform

http://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/defaul ... nysafeact/
OpenLetterfromNewYorkStatePoliceSuperintendent.pdf
Sincerely,
Customer Service
MidwayUSA

5875 West Van Horn Tavern Rd.
Columbia, MO 65203 ©2013 MidwayUSA, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

wow guys, really sorry to see that. ive been arguing with a friend back and forth, he says I'm paranoid about the government eventually taking everything. this just goes to show that its possible. granted his argument will be that its a state law, not a federal one. but really what does it take to start an avalanche? not much.

old mossy said:
I guess we head to PA. for ammo.

Absolutely insane... it's one thing not being able to find ammo in our scarce climate right now, but then having to drive out of state to get it? Just crazy! Dan, Old Mossy have you given serious thought of moving out of NY? I know it's not an option for some folks, but if I were in your shoes, I would consider it :evil:

It ain't over yet. The SAFE act will likely end up in the Supreme Court, but that doesn't do much for ya'll in the near term. The latest legal manuverings:

On December 31, 2013, Judge William M. Skretny of the United States District Court for the Western District of New York issued a decision in a legal challenge to New York's recently-enacted gun control law, commonly known as the SAFE Act. The suit was brought by the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association, among others, with support from the NRA. Plaintiffs asserted that three provisions of the Act violated the Second Amendment. These included its expanded ban on so-called "assault weapons" and "large capacity ammunition feeding devices" and its requirement that magazines be loaded with no more than seven rounds, even if they have a larger capacity. Various aspects of the law were also challenged as being unconstitutionally vague. Finally, plaintiffs asserted that provisions of the law which effectively ban direct Internet or mail order sales of ammunition violate Congress' preeminent role under the Constitution in regulating interstate commerce.

The most important aspect of the decision from the perspective of New York's beleaguered gun owners is that it invalidated the Act's first-of-a-kind requirement that magazines used and intended for self-defense be loaded with no more than seven rounds of ammunition, no matter what their capacity. Judge Skretny characterized the seven round limit as "arbitrary" and noted that because the law allowed for possession of 10-round magazines, the limit could "disproportionately affect[] law-abiding citizens." He also found the state had not offered evidentiary support for its claims that the load limit would advance public safety.

More: http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state ... =10496&ps=

Wow - I'm not sure where our NY friends are located but it is not a small state. If you live in the middle you'd better KNOW that the boarder gun shop that you are heading for HAS what you want. Even temporarily I could see NY boarder town greed - erm, accelerated capitalistic tenancies taking hold on some dealers!!! ARG!

Ex. - Utica NY to the first PA border town (Hallstead) is a 4 hour round trip without shopping! There's a gun shop there. 1 review "Not a very extensive inventory of anything. But you can get all your licenses here." ;)

Wow does this suck. I used to order a lot from Midway and Cabelas when they run a sale.

I'm curious how this keeps the people of NY "safer". Well I guess it makes as much sense as only seven rounds allowed in a ten round magazine. Stupid politicians!

As far as we can tell it doesn't effect components but that may be amended.
Also, relating to reloading we are not sure if internet companies will ship to individuals in NY after 1/15.

As of right now, from the information I have gathered:

1) Internet sales after 1/15 will cease. Most companies have already cut off NY with the exception of Ammoman & Lucky Gunner who will take orders up to 1/14

2) There is no background check set up by the Superintendent of the NYSP.... yet... so you can still purchase ammo face to face at local gun stores without going through a background check after January 15th.

3) Some internet dealers (like freedom munitions) will sell online as long as a FFL dealer accepts delivery... good luck finding one to accept without a fee for storage.

This will probably put me on some "list", as an instigator, but I remember seeing a picture of a sniper who had a T-shirt that had a picture of some kind of sniper rifle and the quote "Vote from the roof tops".
Not that I would ever condone such a thing, but given the political absurdity, I really do wonder how long it takes before there is some sort of backlash.
What's more, some of the insane local legislation that's being passed, you can definitely tell that the vast majority of these politicians, making decisions and passing ordinances & laws, throttling the 2A, have never been around a weapon, let alone someone who has been trained, licensed and/or responsible. It's really a shame that we keep putting morons like this, in office.
Conversely, and not to belabor the point, I think what we are witnessing is a precursor to a societal breakdown, simply because people feel they don't have anything left to lose, or they've slipped through the cracks of just about every mental health screening process and they still obtain a weapon (legally or not).
I'm not from NY, but Gov. What-his-face is quite simply a moron, and it's a damn shame that the five boroughs that make up NYC essentially dictate the direction of the entire state. It's really a shame that they can't recall his ass. Who knows... God help the honorable and responsible folks in NY State and NYC who have legally obtained weapons and use them properly.
On a slightly more comical note, I recall reading that some politician in San Francisco successfully passed a law that outlaws hollow points. Am I the only one who sees the problem with this? Think about how much kinetic energy is lost when a HP hits something and deforms, like drywall, brick or thick wood. Now think about how much kinetic energy that isn't lost when someone is firing a FMJ or even a SP ball? And these are the people who are supposed to be protecting the public? I hate to say it, but, collectively, I think we're all pretty much screwed if there's an excess of that kind of mentality.

So went into Walmart today to get motor oil which conveniently is next to fishing and ammo. More then I'm used to seeing in the case but noticed boxes of 12ga Winchester PDX1. I get the manager to open the case and takes it to the register.

He rings it up and the register asks for a permit. He looks at me and asks for a permit. I tell him its shotgun ammo and he looks at me like I have five heads. He gets another manager who had a slighter better understanding, and entered 0000 for the permit number and said the system was never ready to roll out. Guy on line behind me goes, "only in New York!"

Not sure where in NY you are, but I got a 15 pack of Remington sluggers and 4 boxes of 3.5" 00 Buck without even asking my DOB ... Either I seem to trustworthy or they just don't care. Lol

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

As I understand it, the ammunition sales check system in NY is not functional yet.

Thank goodness I only own a single shot .22 rifle and purchased a box of 50 rounds before the new law.............................

Back