• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello from Central Florida

Hi all,

Ken here, from Lakeland, FL. I just joined last week, and made my first post here this afternoon.

I'm retired law enforcement and currently do investigations for an insurance company.

I've owned a Mossberg 185KA bolt action 20ga for about 42 years or so. I restored the gun and retired it to a gun case. It's beautiful old shotgun my dad gave me when I was a teenager, and he had it for many years before that. The gun is about 55-60 years old.

When I was a rookie in law enforcement, I carried a Mossberg riot gun for a few years until I bought a shotgun of my own (High Standard Flite King - chopped to 18.5"). I sold it when I left the job (not a good move on my part).

I own some pistols, but no HD shotgun. I must have one. In the next couple of days, I'm going to either purchase one at a local gun store, or order on-line. I plan on getting a basic 500SP, either a 50521 or a 50411 (both 5+1, one parkerized, the other blued). I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. I like the durability and look of a parkerized gun, but the 50521 has a pinned forend. The 50411 doesn't have a pinned forend, but it is blued. Too many decisions to make. This will be a gun that I take to the range for a test drive, then clean it and put it in the corner for HD.

It seems like a nice crowd here, with loads of info. This is a lot different than another forum where mentioning anything besides an 870 is considered blasphemy.

I'll see y'all around.

Ken

Welcome aboard!

Keep us posted on your decision. You really can't go wrong either way. We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of any firearms you own the various sub-forums. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! Its a tough call between those two models but the blued finish holds up to abuse pretty well and is easy to maintain as I am sure you already know. Keep us updated on what you end up deciding.

Man, its good havin ya here! It is a tough decision... so save up and get both!!! :D

Thanks for the welcome folks. I'll be in touch once I've spent some money. At the moment (subject to change), I'm leaning towards the 50411 blue steel model. Blue steel is easy to wipe down, and the forend on the 50411 is normal and can be changed without buying an action tube, etc. The little price difference won't break the bank. I'm going to stop at my LGS tomorrow afternoon and see what kind of deal I find locally before I order on-line.

Howdy CrackerKen, and welcome to the club! Since you have probably been lurking around here a bit before you joined up, you know the drill. :cool: Lets see some pix of your stuff! :geek: We all love to check em out. (and drool) And I'm looking forward to seeing that bolt action shotty :ugeek: I like those...a lot. When you say restored I'm all ears...I'm refinishing one of my shottys at the moment. My Ithaca model 37...it's almost done,I'm just trying learn how to reblue it, so it's a learning curve. I'd be interested in know what you did with yours and how.....

Anyhow, thanx for joining up and we're looking forward to seeing you here more often.

cheers...

Welcome CK
I think that you are gonna like it here and I am sure that you are gonna LOVE your new Mossberg shotgun.

Oh and remeber that all those NEW 870's are rusting as we speak :eek:
At least that is what I see posted all the time on other forums :D

MikeD - Looks like you scare the living #$@$#%! out of your cat! :mrgreen:

After much research, questioning and looking, I decided that I had to have a 590A1 (18.5" version). So, I ordered it last night from Bud's. I anxiously await it's arrival. Turns out that Bud's had a preferred FFL about 1/4 mile from my house. I had a chance to see and hold a 590A1 last week, and that did it for me. Love at first sight. It's about time to stop talking, and start shooting. Bad thing though, is that I won't get to shoot it for about a month due to some elbow surgery coming up this week.

This has to be the best firearms forum community I've found.

Congrats on the A1 brother!

I hope all goes well with the surgery and I'm looking forward to the range report when you get a chance to take it out...

Back