• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello from Kentucky

Hello all. I have owned Mossberg weapons for many years, and I just recently came across this forum. The only Mossberg I currently own is a 500, and it's one of my favorites. I have an 18.5-inch barrel on it at the moment, and I own a rifled slug barrel and a .50 caliber black powder barrel for it as well. Gotta love multi-purpose!

Welcome Slade797!!

Tell me more about this black powder barrel. I've been contemplating that for quite some time and would like to hear feedback from someone that has actually used one.

MikeD said:
Welcome Slade797!!

Tell me more about this black powder barrel. I've been contemplating that for quite some time and would like to hear feedback from someone that has actually used one.

What would you like to know?

Hi Slade, Welcome to Mossberg Owners!

Certainly happy to have you and I agree with your perspective on multi-purpose, though for me, I keep a 20" 12 ga. for both bird huntin and HD!

But what the heck, cant have too many guns anyway! ;)

I just bought another 500 today, looks like. Wood stock, vent rib barrel, good shape, $150. Guy also threw in a hard shell case, so I'm pretty happy.

Rossignol said:
Awesome!

Is it threaded for chokes do ya know?

No idea, have not picked it up yet. Friend of mine texted me, asked if i knew anyone who might be interested and I responded, "HELL YEAH!"

I might be interested in trading that barrel for a 20-inch....

Welcome aboard!

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post pics of your new 500 and any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

Slade797 said:
I might be interested in trading that barrel for a 20-inch....

Its a 5 round model i'm guessing? I dont know there are any 20" barrels made for it. There may be 22" and for sure 24". My daughters 500 is a .410 with a 24" VR barrel. Really nice shooting gun! If i were to get another barrel for any of mine, I'd like to get a 22" VR I think, but I have the opposite problem in that all mine are 8 or 9 round guns locked into the 20" barrels! :lol:

Slade797 said:
MikeD said:
Welcome Slade797!!

Just your general impression. How does it perform? How much blow back into the receiver do you experience? It it worth it for purposes other than just the novelty of it?

MikeD said:
Just your general impression. How does it perform? How much blow back into the receiver do you experience? It it worth it for purposes other than just the novelty of it?

It performs very well. I bought it mainly because it was priced at $75 for the whole gun, and there was no way I was passing that up. It is about as accurate as my Optima muzzeloader, and I plan to try it with a low-power scope on my Weaver Converta-Mount. It's a very simple setup. The junk that blows back into the receiver is negligible, really. I would compare the nastiness to that generated by shooting Wolf ammo in an AR, in that it smells like cat piss, but it's no a big deal to clean up. It performs as advertised, and I like having the fallback option. If you can pick one up cheap, I recommend it.

Thanks for the info.

I had a chance to buy one years ago for my 870 and passed it up. The Mossberg ones are a little easier to come buy and it's been intriguing me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

carbinemike said:
Hillbillies and shotguns go together...that's some Americana.

Truer words have rarely been spoken! We love our dogs too, cant forget the dogs!!! :D

Back