• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

KaBar / Becker

Re: New KaBar Becker's

I like the looks of the BK 15 and the BK 17, they are also newer Ethan becker designs with less meat on them than some of his earlier designs like the BK2, they look to be like a 3/4 KaBar in size.

Still kind of a toss up for me...I like the spear point on the BK 16, the swept edge of the BK 15, and while the clip point BK 17 would not be my first choice yet is a nice looking knife.

I have bought from Tomars, with good results, fast shipping and no suprises. I've also been checking his site fairly often to see when he gets the BK 15,16&17 Beckers in. When he does, he'll get some more of my business.

Usually Tomars wil list the blade thickness in the knife specs, haven't seen that figure with the Becker 15,16&17, which has kind of got me curious.

Temporarily Backordered already!

The trailing edge (15) and clip point (17) are available, Wouldn't you know it... :lol:

DSCN0115.jpg

Here's the new BK 16, I replaced the black handles with the tan ones that were included with the knife.

I'm not sure about the full flat grind, a saber grind similar to the BK2 would have been more to my liking. Ah well...It is still a very nice knife at a fair price of 58.97 plus shipping.

The blade coating is rough and has a fine crinkle to it. Definitely rougher than most knife coatings that one comes across...I'll see how it does, if not to my liking, there is a solution...4 ought steel wool...

The sheath is fair, made in china...I have a 4"x1"x1/2" Arkansas stone orderer to go in the pouch and I believe there is enough room for it and possibly a magnesium fire starter...

Off topic...I took the photo on fleece I bought for gun case lining...It'll be used with light canvas in hunter green to make a case for an Ithaca Deerslayer combo, a project in the works...when I can get around to it...

Yep!
Just needs to have a saber grind...Dunno why they changed them, most photos I have seen are of the saber grind and yet... :? :lol:

Well I really can't complain, the whole package including Molle compatable sheath with front pouch is still less expensive than a molle sheath back and pouch for an ESEE 5...

KA-BAR combined the best of two very popular designs, the Becker Necker and the ESEE Izulu. Cool!

------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
Reserving the right to ignore stupid.
The answer is no, I won't explain myself.

al-mar.

KaBar Becker's and Ontario RD's Knives

Both the KaBar series USA made Becker BK2, BK7, Bk9 fixed knives made of 1095CV and the Ontario Ranger 1095 USA made RD7, RD9, RAT7, RTAK, etc., are great Ameican knives. :D

Re: KaBar Becker's and Ontario RD's Knives

And the Beckers have very good pricing. I've looked long and hard at a couple of them.

I just saw a few picks of some modified BK's. I think for a little weekend project I'm gonna strip the coating off of my BK9, do a little bluing... maybe even a inlay a design or logo with light bluing and do the rest a darker blue. I've been meaning to change out the scales and the only thing I can find are micarta ones. Anyone know of a place that sells wood scales? Should be fun, I've never really worked on knifes so I'll make sure to post some pics of my progress :D

DSC_0029.jpg

Alright, I figured I'd make a new thread about some custom work I plan to do with my chopping workhorse, my Kabar BK9. I bought this knife about 2 years ago and have been using it extensively while camping and backpacking. The original powder coating has started to wear off so I've decided to do a little custom work... stay tuned :D

Here's just the tip I reworked... now mind you I'm in no way a machinist or expert... just a dude with a grinding wheel and a little too much time on his hands :lol:

DSC_0062-1.jpg

Back