• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

KaBar / Becker

If the cold bluing doesn't hold up, try some apple cider vinegar. Heat it up also to a boil and then soak the blade. The longer it soaks the darker it will become. My buddy did this to a BK 2 and the blade is now almost black in color and will not scrape off. It also protects from rusting.

I'm pretty sure I didn't follow the cold bluing steps 100% it does come off with heavier use. I can definitely try the vinegar trick...crazy what regular household items can be used for! I'm waiting for the right tools to show up in the mail so I can start on shaping the scales :)

Sweet. Make sure to take pix of the process through out and post em up. What tools did you order?

Simple set of files (for wood.. :D) and a coping saw. Those two smaller pieces should work without to much sawing... I think I'll be able to sand and file most of the shape. The question is, how to I make both side identical (as much as they can be anyways)

aksavanaman,

Short Answer; Double Sided Tape.

You use double sided tape, and tape the two pieces together. You cut your outline, and file/sand to your preference. When you are done, you carefuly seperate the 2 halfs, and finish.

Frank

Just checking in on the progress.....

Slow going... I've been pretty busy with this Shell oil running aground on our Island! But no worries, I do still have big plans for this!

Kulluk-Stable.-No-Fuel-Spill-Detected-Alaska.jpg

Holy cow. What is that? an oil rig? It looks like a big ol buoy...

That's the Shell Oil Drilling rig that ran aground not to long ago. It was being towed, and the tugs lost control of it in heavy winds and currents. Big worry about an environmental incident right now. It is carrying an insane amount of Diesel.

Frank

Yeah, it's Shell's exploratory drilling platform. It has a rounded bottom so it it can ride on top and break ice, much like a large icebreaking vessel. We were hit with some pretty bad storms after christmas and it broke loose, more than once, on it's way to Seattle. But because of it's shape and where it hit (soft sand and gravel) there really isn't much concern that it will puncture the hull and actually discharge any of the fuel/lube oils it's carrying. But, for obvious reasons, it's a pretty big deal... doesn't really give drilling in the arctic a good reputation.

Right...I just read up on it. thanx...

This has been LONG coming but I finally had some time last night to get started. This month has been one for the books as far as work goes for me, so I apologize again for those of you waiting on progress. I was able to get the outline of the original scales traced and cut onto the new pieces of wood. Here's for hoping I get a quite night to start sanding and shaping!!! Pics will follow, couldn't find our camera last night. Thanks again Rip for sending me those pieces, I sure hope I do them justice!

No problem.....it's not like I can't get more....just go slow .
Dust mask might be a good idea too.

Lol! I got one of those for when I finish with super glue....fumes are killer.

Ok, finally some a progress update with some pics... from here it's just sanding, shaping, and more sanding :D

DSC_0279_zps612e9d28.jpg

DSC_0277_zps36997d01.jpg

DSC_0278_zps440c2326.jpg

DSC_0280_zpsdca169ec.jpg

Looks good so far bro.....I see you have a coping saw. Good start....
Lookin forward to more pix!!

I see some hex holes in there. Are going to use the original nut and bolt?

Thanks! My cuts weren't perfect, but nothing I can't fix with some sand paper and files. Yeah, it was attached with a small screw and hex bolts. I'll probably just countersink the holes and buy a new set of bolts. I don't need anything fancy, just secure and useful.

Back