• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

KEL TEC

Yes it is,

I'd rather run 50 rounds through my .44mag snubbie than put a magazine through that damn LCP...

So after buying that NAA mini in .22 mag I thought maybe I'd look around town again and see if there were any PMR30s to be had. Sadly there are none to be had locally at the moment. However pictured above is what did follow me home yesterday afternoon. A gently used PF9. Normally I'd opt for a tan or coyote brown variety like what LES owns but the gray is kinda of neat. I haven't owned anything yet in that color so I figured why the hell not. The shop owner said he is about to order from a few of his distributors soon and since he has my name and number now would let me know if any PMR30s are available in something other than boring black. Depending on the price quoted I'll probably bite especially on a tan one. He also had a KSG there but it was spoken for on layaway. It was nice to see unicorns do exist though lol.

I'm going to check into night sights for this but otherwise I'm planning on just leaving it be as is. Should be hitting up the range later today to give it whirl.

Figured I should report back with this one. First two hundred fifty rounds I was having quite a few failures to eject. Frustrated for sure but came back home and started researching the issue. Googling around its actually a pretty common occurance with these PF9s. Turned out to be the torx headed extractor spring screw had simply worked loose on mine. Good thing it hadn't worked loose enough as this is what also retains the firing pin. It could have eventually shot out the back and I'd be either digging around in the dirt or ordering myself a new one. Most likely why the previous owner had traded this back to the shop.

Had to detail the pistol from the range session so I cleaned her up good and did my usual froglube treatment. Coated the extractor screw thread with some blue loctite and gave it a couple of days rest before heading back out to the range yesterday. 150 rounds later not one failure to eject and I now have exactly 450 rounds of various 9mm ball and jhp through it with surprisingly very accurate results on paper. Towards the end for fun I attempted to ring an 8 inch plate out at 25 yards and hit it a few times. Surprised me considering the long trigger pull and crappy plastic sights this is supplied with.

For what it is I'm very impressed considering how much I paid for it. I'd like to do one more range trip and put at least another 50 to 100 trouble free rounds down range before calling it good but right now I'm pretty confident enough now to start carrying it. Its definitely lightweight and just small enough to be carried in the front pocket. Picked up a Galco #460 front pocket holster and I'm liking that very much for that role.

Thought I'd share for everyone my first Keltec experience. I know some folks either love or hate em. I'm in the camp of its a tool, nothing else and why I went ahead and picked one up. So far I've been happy enough with this tool to continue to utilize it as such. Its nice to have several carry options. YMMV.

As I stated right off the bat the factory sights have to go especially since I'm going to utilize this for carry. Also what is starting to really bug me now is thinly blued slide. Might consider a cerakote job on the slide and that would be the ideal time to swap for night sights as well.

I'm still going to be on the look out for a PMR30. I'd like to have one but at the reasonable MSRP they are supposed to be and not the ridiculous price gouging I have seen them going for.

Last edited:
Back