• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Kinda wish WalMart would jack the **** out of .22lr prices.

Tom396

.30-06
I guess I'm at the point where I wish WalMart would go ahead and just price their .22lr ammunition the same way the online merchants have. Make 'em 12 cents a round for just about everything. Think what the outcome would be. I can darned near guarantee you that they would still sell just as much of it. It would stay on the shelf only a little while longer (and I do mean little). And WalMart would make a greater profit from the sales. Win-win-win.

The poor guy who just wants 100 rounds to use in his kid's rifle would then be able to get it for only a couple of dollars more...but at least he could get it. I think it's terrible that folks cannot simply buy the stuff, because it's too d*mned hard to find.

Currently, I can go to my local gun store and probably buy a couple hundred rounds of .22lr at jacked up (in my opinion) prices. I've done that. I get a few more rounds to add to my stash and it supports my LGS. I just don't think too many other folks are gonna do this. They don't make a trip to the LGS just to buy a few .22lr rounds. Just not very cost effective.

WalMart could always "rollback" the price of .22lr, once easy availability is no longer an issue. Take care. Tom Worthington

You make an interesting point there, Tom.

Around here the vultures hit Wal-Marts and Academy Sports a half hour before the sporting goods counter opens and it still virtually impossible for regular folks (like the dad and kid you mention) to grab a bulk carton or a hundred rounds of CCIs.

Believe it or not, in Canada there are shelves FULL of .22 LR everywhere you look at normal prices because their citizens aren't hoarding the stuff or trying to make huge profits from re-sale.

I have no problem at all finding and getting .22LR in my area...

Collected just under 10,000 rounds from mid July 2014 to date ( been shooting it a lot too )...mostly at Dick's Sporting Goods and MidwayUSA...prices came down a little too !!

I have given a total of 700 rounds to kids of guys I work with who got caught short.

All I ask is a target with a decent group on it, got a few

I parted with a little over 1000 rounds I gave a co-worker for his two daughters and their new Marlin 60's. I could have burned it up myself, but it's a better feeling knowing it went to help teach a couple new shooters...

I parted with a little over 1000 rounds I gave a co-worker for his two daughters and their new Marlin 60's. I could have burned it up myself, but it's a better feeling knowing it went to help teach a couple new shooters...
Yep, they have more fun than me at this point lol

Yup, flea market fags are still hoarding... :mad: I flag anything over .10/rd on the local "gun trader" website, especially bulk. Haven't seen .22LR in a WM in a long time. Couple LGS have .22 for about .12/rd and if I had a store that is probably what I would sell it for. Call it "convenience" pricing. And their stuff is retail packed, not baggies full of loose rounds taken from a bulk pack.

On a more positive note, 5.56 green tip is back down to "normal" levels! :)

Tough to find it around here at any price...
Here too, I haven't been really trying but everytime I am anywhere that sells ammo someone is asking...seen some match 22, whatever the hell that is

I'm not doing 30 bucks for 500...... I'll quit shooting 22 altogether, don't care

You make an interesting point there, Tom.

Around here the vultures hit Wal-Marts and Academy Sports a half hour before the sporting goods counter opens and it still virtually impossible for regular folks (like the dad and kid you mention) to grab a bulk carton or a hundred rounds of CCIs.

Believe it or not, in Canada there are shelves FULL of .22 LR everywhere you look at normal prices because their citizens aren't hoarding the stuff or trying to make huge profits from re-sale.
Don't know about the rest of Canada, but here in the west .22LR is still hard to come by. I haven't seen any CCI for quite some time now. Poorer quality stuff can be found here and there.

I'm still conserving....:mad:

Like Tom, I'm not above going to my LGS and paying top dollar for it but not if I don't have too!! My old semi-auto Winchester demands HV ammo to cycle cleanly...I'll hold out a lil longer yet.

At Gary's a couple days ago (Columbus, MS). The rimfire shelf was sagging from the weight of .22 (LR & WMR) and .17. Picked up a couple boxes of Hornady .22mag Critical Defense for about $13/box, which had not only been hard to find but was close to $20/box a few months ago. Lot's of CCI, etc. It appears that the supply shortage is over, and prices will continue to come down.

I ended up selling my .22lr rifle late last year. I stopped shooting it and it went into more ammo for the guns I do shoot. Weird how .223 and 9mm went back to pre-2013 prices but .22lr still stays above average.

Walmart never has them in stock here but Academy has jacked them up to the same prices as online retailers so they usually have at least 50 round boxes in stock, if you dont mind paying $7.00 a pop.

I don't remember the last time I shot any .22 rimfire guns. Sitting on thousands of rounds and I still won't let that cache dwindle.

I can't remember the last time I saw 22lr in a store. Whenever I ask at WM I get the same response, all the creepy old guys line up every morning and buy anything that comes in.

I've been lucky to find a box here and there online but those are usually gone before I can click the email notice and hit the site.

These guys must be sitting on more rounds than they could ever hope to shoot by now. it's crazy.

I've done very little shooting as well, just hunting and enough shooting to verify my sights are still zero'd.

Back