• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

M1 Garand

Re: My '43 M1 Garand

oli700 said:
I reload my 06. Cant you reload some lighter loads ? I mean if you dont have the gear thats one thing but you have an antique rifle so it might be a good investment so you can shoot it and know your not going to damage it.

I do reload, But I don't have the needed equipment or consumables in 30-06, I was planning on reloading it in the future, But I usually buy some factory ammo to get the ball rolling.

VitSports6 said:
oli700 said:
I reload my 06. Cant you reload some lighter loads ? I mean if you dont have the gear thats one thing but you have an antique rifle so it might be a good investment so you can shoot it and know your not going to damage it.

I do reload, But I don't have the needed equipment or consumables in 30-06, I was planning on reloading it in the future, But I usually buy some factory ammo to get the ball rolling.

Cool, its going to be fun shooting your reloads.... I am seriously jealous

Reloading is the way to go...and Oli is the man when it comes to that !!

You gotta show us your setup for making the .30-06 Oli...maybe even break down the steps to show the components. Always a good thread...

My good freind and partner at work lives a block away . He has our brass set up and I have our SG set up. We are fixing to do .223 but when we do the 30-06 I try to take some pics.

Holy Beautiful rifle!!!

Man, I can never find surplus i like! Found a pair of Enfields once, but they just werent, "it"...

Here is a photo of my M1 Garand...built by the Springfield Armory in November of 1944. It is shown with an original M1942 16" bayonet and a M7 grenade launcher with fragmentation grenade holder and frag grenade.

GARANDM1KIT.jpg

The M1 Garand is officially designated as United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1 and was the first gas-operated semi-automatic "en-bloc" clip-fed rifle to be generally issued to the infantry of any nation. Called "the greatest battle implement ever devised" by General George S. Patton, the Garand officially replaced the bolt-action M1903 Springfield as the standard service rifle of the United States Armed Forces in 1936 and was subsequently replaced by the selective fire M14 in 1957.

1943 ammo belt and some frag grenades

1943AMMOBELT-1.jpg

GRENADES-2.jpg

Thanks man....did you have a chance to run any rounds through yours yet !?

what a total piece of junk. Should melt it down and make AK magazines out of it.

RP+ONE4M1

:eek:

:D

:lol:

Thanks Oli...but it won't match the other mags...!!

GOLDAK47-1.jpg

===================================================================

SHOOTER13 said:
Thanks man....did you have a chance to run any rounds through yours yet !?
Negative... My wife has been out of town, I'm about to pick her up at the airport, So, There is no way to get out to do any serious shooting, With 2 kids 10 and under home.
I do hope to go soon though.

============================================================

My new M1 shootin' shirt...

M2BALLTSHIRT-1.jpg

=============================================================

Welp...
Things have really headed South on this little beauty, I did a thorough cleaning of the barrel, What I thought was old grease or something is a badly corroded barrel...

6121995071_3775093f31_b.jpg

Needless to say, I am not pleased.
I also have found out the barrel is a Taiwanese refurb, and the One of the guys on the CMP forum asked if the patches and brushes were all black, Which he said is the Salts from the corrosive ammo, Which mine were.
Another guy mentioned this...

It's really hard to see on your barrel, but there is a faint "broken spoke" wheel marking used on Nationalist Chinese military stuff. I saw a bunch of these at Big 5 last year and many also had very faint Chinese characters on the left side of the receiver (some are very faint). That "touch up" area is exactly where those Chines characters would have been so it looks like someone removed them

Touched up area.
6125170652_f634c3b7ee_b.jpg

I have a new Criterion barrel from CMP that is being processed, I'm a little bummed out that I didn't inspect it more before I bought it, My wife has been very understanding, Which has been great, I may send off all my parts to be re-parkerized as well as have the barrel installed through Shuff's Parkerizing
I am also working on the rust issue, I have used some auto body rust inhibitor on it to see if it will help.

What an ordeal man! Please keep us posted!!!

Friggin' Taiwanese...

Sorry to hear about the bad...but this can be good !

...Good that you get a brand new barrel !

...Good that you are getting it re-parked !

...and good that the wife understands that this has to be done !!

It's gonna be better than when you got it...and that's good !!

Can't wait to see your brand new '43 !!! ;)

It's been an awesome day hangin out with my Pop today takin pics of his collection.

Here's the Garand he's had for years...

Back