• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: MAVERICK 88 REASSEMBLY

lol I honestly can't say it was twice for me... I was completely new too shotguns and pump shotguns more specifically. Didn't really have ANY understanding on how they worked... it was like 12 or so times before I understood my gun and new how it operated, what each piece did and its rule in the mechanics.That is another that you will gain from tearing your shotgun down many times and reassembling it.

****AFTER A SAFETY CHECK AS ALWAYS****

Rack (operate the slide) your shotgun and see what happens. Get 2 or 3 snap caps and watch how the shells are ejected and released from mag tube. It will help you determine the solution to any problem you may run into for the most part. Being familiar with your firearm is also a good thing should you ever need to field strip it and fix an internal operation problem.

Best of luck! If you need any more help it is as simple as posting right here! :D

I wish I'd watched a video of the procedure, the first time I attempted to reassemble one of my Mavericks. I looked solely at the instructions that came with it. I swear I think they could have done a better job with the illustrations.

I could see how it could be difficult to get the parts to go in at all, but I'm not sure you could even get them to fit, without them also working properly. Did that make any sense? :) Take care. Tom Worthington.

Won't lie.. made no sense too me :) haha by I am inept sometimes with corresponding descriptions to actions... if that made any sense :D

Thank you for all of the feedback! It was greatly appreciated. Turns out that when I pulled the trigger housing, one of the pins was not properly seated. So when I pulled it out the pin slid out slightly which got in the way of the pump arms and kept the pump from sliding all the way back.

traviscorley:

Wecome to the world of Mossberg pump guns! You'll soon hold an honorary degree in reading vague instruction manuals. All kidding aside, I'm glad you were able to find the problem and I hope the video helped.

regards,
Jeff

I avoided my instruction manual like the Black Plague!!! I wanted to figure out everything through nice visual aid haha

Re: Maverick 88 rebuild

Did you end up installing the new forend yet?

For going out and bustin' some clays I would recommend heading to your nearest Walmart and buying a Value pack of 100 rounds. I have seen them in Walmarts from CT to TN at $22 bucks plus change.
I stick with Remington or Federal.
I reload, and the Remington hulls are great for that.
I also Shoot ATA Trap and if I dont want to be bothered with bringing the hulls home it is always Federal. The wife and I LOVE the smell of a fired Federal shell.

traviscorley:

I agree with LTB45. I usually end up buying Federal, but Remingtons have always worked just as well for me. I've also had great luck with Fiocchi, who actually manufactures most of their loadings here in the States.

regards,
Jeff

I can't say much more if you are just shooting some Orange UFOs! Federals is all I run through my 500!
Buckshot, I stick with Federal or Winchester Mil-spec stuff. Both from walmart.
Slugs recently have been Remington Sluggers but I LOVE Brenneke KO's

Ok awesome! Thanks for all the feedback. Right now I have the 100 pack of winchesters from walmart. I have heard a bit of controversy about them. So I may be switching to federal.

Cartridge stop issue

Hello all, new to the forum and Mossberg's..I bought a youth hunter 20 guage for my wife to be used as home defense and general shooting, but most of the time the shell will not come past the cartridge stop....Sometimes it will feed, sometimes it will fall out the bottom and sometimes it doesn't do anything...Sorry to sound remedial but I am getting frustrated with this....The gun is new and has a box of Winchester's through it....I have cleaned it, didn't help...I took it to the gunsmith where I bought it he oiled the crap out of it and nothing...I cleaned it again and the same thing is happening...

Re: Cartridge stop issue

I believe your best bet is to contact Mossberg customer service. I would bet they will have you ship it back to them for repair. However, this process will require significant patience on your part. It takes a long time to get through on their phone and it will probably take a fair amount of time for them to ship it back to you. I do think they will fix the problem, though. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Back