• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 Pump Action Troubleshooting

ccjailcop said:
Has anyone with a 500/835 or an 88 had any issue of a drop fire? or bump fire?

Actually quite the upposite. My 870 will fire as fast as I can run the slide as long as I keep the trigger pulled. My 500 will not and I have to let up and reset the trigger with each shot. That was something I noticed the first time I took it out.

I have not tried this with my 835.

Bump fire on a 500 would be a problem.
I have 3 and none of them do this.

EDIT:
Have 4 of them now :shock: :D

Re: Maverick 88 fail to fire

I had some firing issues, but it just required a good clean - I also use a clean/lube combo product and give it a quick spray before each usage and the gun is rock solid.

Re: Maverick 88 fail to fire

A little TLC goes a long way.

Good to see you got it worked out...

Maverick 88 rebuild

I have a Maverick 88 that I bought over 10 years ago. The pump on it broke a couple years ago, and I recently decided to modify it to be a security gun. I order a new pump that came with two metal hooks on it. The gun is only set up for one. Will it make any difference taking one of the hooks off to make it fit, or are there specific pumps for this application?

Having problems not shooting. Shoots fine if you don't pull back on the pump. When you pull back on pump into your sholder then it does't fire. Not even a mark on the shell. I don't how to fix. Not the original owner purchases from a friend. He said only fired a couple boxes through. This is frusterating. Any advice on what to do.

Is there something mechanical wrong with the gun. I don't thing I should have to shoot a gun only one way. If pulling back on the pump jams the firing pin then maybe there is a problem with the gun.

Nothing wrong with the weapon, it's just the nature of the design.

Has nothing to do with the firing pin. Not sure how old yours is, but earlier models had a hammer block sear position that would not allow the weapon to fire if the action was not fully locked into battery or even when pointed upward. Pulling the trigger with the hammer block engaged would send the hammer into a "half-cocked" position.

Any of you with the newer model Mav88 experience this?

PLUG PROBLEMS

I pulled the plug from my maverick 88. Now I can fit 5 shells. But when I loaded it to make sure I could not get the first shell that I put in to eject. It stayed in the barrel. Is that because I took the plug out? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Re: PLUG PROBLEMS

The plug should have nothing to do with ejecting a shell from the barrel.
If the round remained in the barrel then it would have something to do with your extractor.
Or if the extractor actually engaged the sides of the shell to pull it from the barrel.
Again another part that has nothing to do with the plug.

If the extractor actually grabbed the case head of the shell, it could be an ejector which should have a screw head inside the receiver.

I agree with LTB, the plug and ejection are unrelated, but did this happen before removing the dowel?

Ok, thank you. No it did not happen previous to pulling the plug. I have yet to actually shoot the gun. It is a Christmas present for my dad. I just wanted to have it all set up and ready to go for him. I will give it another try and see what happens.

traviscorley:

Just curious as to what brand of shell you're using. But regardless, please practice safety while you sort this out. Muzzle in safe direction, safety engaged at all times, don't touch the trigger, etc. I know it's none of my business but I just hate to hear of anyone getting hurt.

regards,
Jeff

I am using winchester shells. Thank you for your concern. I appreciate it. I solved the problem. How difficult is it to clean the internals? I am more of a pistol person personally, so I don't have much experience with shotguns. Like I said, it is a present for my dad. I just want to be able to pass on all the ins and outs about it to him.

traviscorley:

Winchester promotional shells are known to have FTF and FTE problems. I've had the same problem with them in Mossbergs, and a friend of mine's found them problematic in his Remington 870 and Ithaca 37's.

Field stripping and cleaning is simple and straightforward. Reassembly can be a bit tricky the 1st couple of times. On Youtube is a video by "Life, Liberty, etc..." and is the best I've seen on takedown and reassembly. Just remember that the model 88s procedure is the same as the Mossberg 500.

regards,
Jeff

Ok thank you. I will remember that. I have heard a little bit of both about them.

Ok great! I like simple! I will check that out. Thanks for the feedback/info.

MAVERICK 88 REASSEMBLY

I field stripped my 88 tonight and followed a recommended video to do so. The video was very helpful, but once I put the trigger housing back in I cannot get the gun to fully pump. It gets stuck about half way back. I am not sure what is causing this or what I am doing wrong. Any tips or suggestions? Or can anyone tell me what it is I am doing wrong or what I need to do to get it right?

Re: MAVERICK 88 REASSEMBLY

You know what I always did? Tore the thing back down, laid everything out, watch another video and tried it again!

Once you get it back together and functioning, take her back apart and do it again. Do it until you can without the aid of a video or manual! You will likely never forget how to do it!

Re: MAVERICK 88 REASSEMBLY

^^^ +1 right there!
Great advice! When I was a noobie to dissecting my first 500.
I did it twice to get it in my brain on how to get it back together.
After a few times you will be able to do it with your eyes closed.

Back