• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mosin Nagant

Re: Mosin Nagant?

Thanks for the links. I had been thinking the 100ATR was the way to go, but I think the Moisin Nagant will fit my needs just fine. My brother and I are wanting to hunt hogs and we don't expect to shoot one over 100 yards in the terrain we'll be in, but even if we were to shoot farther, I just saw a video of a hog being taken at 350 yards. It is well within my price range and I am a sucker for WWII era items. Unless there is a good reason not to hunt with it, I think I have found my rifle.

No problem Sir,

I'm not a hunter, but I regularly shoot mine out to 200yds. They're great for accuracy at that distance. Mosins were typically sighted in for battle at 300yds, so range shouldn't be a problem. I'm not familiar with the terminal ballistics of the 7.62x54r as it relates to hunting, but I'm sure there's plenty of data out there. It's hard to beat a Mosin where price is concerned and owning a piece of WWII history definitely adds to the package. I'm sure the 100 ATR in .30-06 would be a fine rifle to suit your purpose too.

I went out to check them out again today and ended up putting one on layaway. I think I will pick it up tomorrow once I convince my fiancee that it is OK to have another gun in the closet.

shoulda just bought it and stuck it with all the other guns and waited till she said something about it and then you say oh... that old thing... and walk away.

bsipes30 said:
shoulda just bought it and stuck it with all the other guns and waited till she said something about it and then you say oh... that old thing... and walk away.
:lol: You ain't married, are you?

My buddy that has the one I have used bought a can of the FMJ ammo and I guess he can't hunt with it. He didn't think about it until he opened his and looked at it.

I am not a hunter, so I don't know the laws, but I guess you can't hunt with FMJ in NH. Is that true of other states?

Guy I work with got a nice elk with one this year.I give him a lot of crap about the rifle because he talks it up so much.....he was happy to report the filling of his elk tag to me lol. He has three and says they vary a lot in quality. He only really trusts one to hunt with. He says one's action doesn’t cycle fast enough for a fast follow up and the other isn’t accurate enough....the one he killed the elk with apparently works good enough. I still haven’t shot one myself yet....someday

Not sure what bullet he was using....i know I have heard some surplus is corrosive ??

Sn3aKyGuY said:
bsipes30 said:
:lol: You ain't married, are you?

i was married... (then divorced) and about to marry again in 70 days! :shock:

bsipes30 said:
That was my strategy two weeks ago when I bought my Mossy 500. I figure I shouldn't attempt it again since she was anti-guns in the house until about 2 months ago. After this, I may get a semi-auto pistol and then my shopping spree will have to come to an end for a while. Now I have a .22 pistol, .38 Spl revolver, shotgun, pellet gun, and now I'm getting this rifle, so with a 9mm I feel I will have a complete collection. Luckily she enjoys going to the range and she is a history minor in college, so explaining to her that this gun was issued in WWII will help me out a lot.

Ripsnortr said:
My buddy that has the one I have used bought a can of the FMJ ammo and I guess he can't hunt with it. He didn't think about it until he opened his and looked at it.

I am not a hunter, so I don't know the laws, but I guess you can't hunt with FMJ in NH. Is that true of other states?

I don't know about a law like that in Alabama, but I do know that using surplus ammo would probably just severely wound any large animal and not kill it.

You're doing the right thing honkey. Congrats on the recent purchases. I have a few more I'd like to add and a mosin or 3 is at the top of that list.

oli700 said:
....i know I have heard some surplus is corrosive ??

A lot of the old surplus stuff is corrosive.

It's not really a problem unless you don't regularly clean the bore. I carry a bottle of Windex with me when I take mine out to the range. I usually squirt a little down the barrel after every ten or so rounds and then run a bore snake through it. The ammonia in the Windex will neutralize the corrosive compounds and make cleaning a LOT easier when you get it back to the house for some proper TLC.

honkey said:
I went out to check them out again today and ended up putting one on layaway. I think I will pick it up tomorrow once I convince my fiancee that it is OK to have another gun in the closet.

it's easier to say "i'm sorry" than it is to ask for permission.....

also...you could say it was your grandfathers gun long lost.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

My wife used to question the "need" for another gun and I used to try and justify each new purchase. Those days are long gone now. She just became numb to it all after a while.

I've been an atom away from buying a Mosin MANY times. What a deal for a great caliber, a well built platform and for spare change! If you have the itch- do it. Next time I may not walk by either!

All right, I got the thumbs up. All I had to do was say "I found this awesome rifle in really good condition from World War II! It was used by Russians and it only costs $100!" She said, "That sounds awesome! Is this the last one?" I told her just one more after this. She sighed and said "You're lucky I love you." I'll pick it up tomorrow and post some pics.

Congrats, can't wait to see pics when you get it!

Assuming you have a choice between a couple different rifles, ask if they have one with matched serial numbers. The barrel, bolt, butt plate, and magazine floor plate will all have a serial number. Many Mosins that were used in combat had parts replaced from other rifles before they were stockpiled, so their serial numbers may not always match. It's not a huge deal and in no way affects the rifle's performance, but rifles with matched numbers will have more collector value.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Congrats, can't wait to see pics when you get it!

Assuming you have a choice between a couple different rifles, ask if they have one with matched serial numbers. The barrel, bolt, butt plate, and floor plate will all have a serial number. It's not a huge deal, but rifles with matched numbers will have more collector value.

Thanks, I actually put a specific one that I picked out on layaway, but I will check when I go in again tomorrow and see if it does. If not, I will check the ones on the wall. There were only four left and last week there were twenty, so I picked the best looking one and asked them to hold it.

Back