• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mosin Nagant

Re: Any Mosin Nagant fans??

Fresh out of the box!

6462635553_40a0be87b7_z.jpg

6462636771_1152cb3acf_z.jpg

6462637765_6b43d7f093_z.jpg

1944 Tula M44 I gave it a quick wipedown, But, It looks like I have a little work ahead of me.
I opened the 91/30, Just to see if everything was OK, But I didn't take any pic's, Its going to be a gift to my brother for Christmas.
I also cut the shipping bands off the ammo to have a look inside, Not really much to see till I open a spam can.

Rossignol...

Here's what I found on your particular Type 53 Mosin Nagant...

In the early 1950's the People's Republic of China decided there was a need to develop a carbine for issue to the People's Army. The Chinese looked to their new friends to the North, the Soviet Union, for assistance in the matter. As the doctrine of the "Human Wave" was shared by both nations, a bayonet would be an essential item on any carbine to be issued. The Soviet Union of course offered the Model 1944 Carbine as a logical solution . The Soviets were in production of the SKS at the time, but they did not want to share this new development with the Chinese. It is thought that Soviet machinery was sent to China for commencement of Type 53 production. The facts also seem to suggest this was also done in Eastern Europe as the Model 1944 Carbine production also began in Poland, Hungary, and Romania during the same time frame. The movement of the Soviet machinery allowed the Chinese to produce the Type 53 independently, which was important to both Chinese national pride and the self-sufficiency of China. This also allowed the Soviets to aid their Chinese ally without giving away a large amount of weapons technology.

Chinese production of the carbine began in 1953 and the designation of this new carbine was the Type 53 . The early proofs on the barrel shank of the Type 53 will have both Chinese characters and the number 26 or 296. The Chinese characters translate to " 53 Year Type " and the 26 or 296 are the stamping of the State Factory at Chongqing. In many later production Type 53's the Chinese characters are not present but it is not known why the characters were dropped. The shank proofs also became larger in 1960 but again the reason for this action is not entirely clear.

The production numbers of the Type 53 Carbine are unknown at this point due to the closed nature of China and icy relations with the West. It is assumed that the production numbers are rather high as the production run did not end until 1960 or 1961.

The Chinese did not use the large number of stamps on the carbine's metal as their Soviet allies; however, the Chinese more than made up for this with the large number of proofs that appear on most Type 53 stocks. It is not uncommon to have ten or more various stamps on these stocks. The wood used on these stocks is not the high quality as that used in the Soviet carbines; however, the wood on the Type 53 is quite solid and competent. The Chinese utilized a local wood that is known as CHU-wood. The CHU-wood was put to use as it was quite effective in standing up to so called "Jungle Rot." The wood was quite proficient in resisting moisture, so was a perfect choice for the environment of Asia. The finish of the Chinese stocks are similar to the M44 clones made in Romania and Hungary, which is a heavy varnish or shellac in most cases. There are some Type 53 stocks that have their serial numbers matched to the carbines, with these numbers appearing on the left side on the stock. Further there are some cases in which Chinese characters also cut into the stock. Some appear to be the work of the soldier but many are too uniform for this. These uniform stamps seem to have nationalist writing in every case. One such stamping that has been seen both on a Type 53 and a Chinese manufactured SKS loosely translates to: " I gladly give my life for Chairman Mao."

Some of the other differences that are noticeable in the Type 53 from the Russian M44 are the bayonet and the cleaning rod. Although the Type 53 bayonet is almost identical to the second variation Soviet bayonet, in many cases there are inspectors proofs marking found. This is not the case with the M44's made in the Soviet Union but is common on the M44 clones produced in Hungary. It is interesting to note that there are verified Type 53's with no bayonet. These carbines without bayonets have even been observed with the bayonet assembly filed down or even removed in some cases. It is unknown why this was done or who did it. This bayonet removal does seem to go against the "Human Wave" doctrine of the People's Army. The cleaning rod of the Type 53 is a 1/2 inch shorter than those from the Soviet Union. There is also a slight difference in the way the cleaning rod is screwed into the carbine stock. The cleaning rod further differs in that the head is plain while the Soviet made rods are not. Many Type 53's found in the US have cleaning rods that are correct for the Soviet M44 but this was probably done at the importer. It is also possible that the cleaning rods of damaged Russian M44's in Chinese stockpiles were fitted on Type 53's when the need arose.

There is doubt as to whether the Type 53 saw any action or issue in the Korean War. It is possible that the Type 53 saw use but it is doubtful, as the initial production of the Type 53 was quite close to the end of the conflict. If there was indeed any use it would have been on a VERY limited scale. There were M44's in combat in Korea but it is assumed by most they were Russian M44 carbines supplied to the People's Army by the Soviets. It is clear that the Type 53 saw extensive use in the Vietnam War, as the Chinese supplied these carbines in large numbers to their follow communists in North Vietnam. These carbines were in turn given to the Viet Cong. There was such wide use of the Chinese carbine in Vietnam that many of the Type 53's seen in the US are GI bring-backs. There are rumors that some of these carbines were scoped with a turned down bolt, but it is likely that the M91/30 sniper rifle was mistaken for this "sniper carbine". The Mosin Nagant sniper rifle was prevalent in its own right in Vietnam, with the Hungarian manufactured model being encountered in large numbers as GI bring-backs. The Chinese also sent the Type 53 to allies in Cambodia and other areas in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam era.

As the People's Republic of China began production of their own version of the SKS, the Type 53 lost some of its importance as a direct issue weapon. The Chinese found themselves in much the same position the Soviets did in the early 1950's, as the People's Republic had become a major power in its own right. The People's Republic of China now needed to supply arms to the countries that were under their yoke. The Chinese did not want to supply these countries with the SKS , so the People's Republic began to export the Type 53. The Chinese started their major arms supply operation with the Type 53. This operation grew into the massive endeavor that has made the People's Republic one of the largest arms dealers in the world.

Hope this helps Bro...

Hey Vit...that Tula is sweet !!

Good luck with that cosmoline... ;)

SHOOTER13 said:
Hey Vit...that Tula is sweet !!

Good luck with that cosmoline... ;)

Thanks!
I think I have most of the cosmoline removed, A couple nights on the fireplace does a rifle good, I had it totally apart sitting on a towel, I would wipe it down once in a while, Not too hot to handle mind you, But plenty warm.
I will get some better pic's soon, The inversion has moved in for the next couple of days...

I was at Academy today and saw something I have never seen before. Monarch bullets are sold at Academy in 7.62X54r for $9.99 a box. Did you guys now this? Have any of you tried this brand before?
I guess the 7.62X54r round is going mainstream. :eek:

J.L. said:
I was at Academy today and saw something I have never seen before. Monarch bullets are sold at Academy in 7.62X54r for $9.99 a box. Did you guys now this? Have any of you tried this brand before?
I guess the 7.62X54r round is going mainstream. :eek:
I had no idea, Is it non-corrosive?

The Monarch brand is steel cased Russian ammo made by Barnaul, same folks that manufacture Bear brand ammo. The Bear stuff is non-corrosive and berdan primed, but I'm not sure about Monarch. It's an ok deal for FTF purchase if you don't shoot much, but I'd still take the Russian/Bulgarian/Romanian surplus stuff at $77.95 per 440rd box any day. A $3 bottle of windex takes care of the corrosion issue.

Mine is a 1942 Finnish M91. We bought it mostly as a wall hanger years ago from K-mart, but they seem to have grown in popularity as folks discover these bulky cheap Russian guns can actually be good shooters with a long interesting history.

WOOOO HOOOO!!! I just picked up a 1943R Mosin Nagant M91-30 And a handfull of the 762x54r rounds. All I had to do was make a rack system for breeding fish. I'll post up a pic later on. It came with a 16" bayonette as well. Used in WW2. This gun is nice!

FVcd1l.jpg

it's just a quick pic. but oh man it's beautiful!!!!

SWEET 91/30 rip!

I can't tell for sure, is that a laminated stock?

yes it is...the guy who "gave" it to me refinished it with lacquer...it looks great in the sunlight!

That's awesome bro!

You don't see too many Mosins around with laminated stocks...

really? i'm doing a bunch of research on it now, so this is all new to me.

ha! i remember you telling me to get one, and look at me now....i have one.

thanx.

Back