• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Accessories...

Re: Aimpro Tactical Ghost Ring Install w/Pics.

Awesome. Nice write up and review.

Very nice work, I would not have the knowlage or skill to pull that off. :lol:

KEWL do it yourselfer. I let Aimpro do the barrel work to mine (Honed & lengthened the forcing cone, front XS sight install, magnaported, and coated the exterior). It turned out good, but took F-O-R-E-V-E-R. Your way looks faster I think.

Props and welcome to the forum!

Re: Accessories questions

Oh boy, i couldnt get on here to reply since december. Anyway, thanks for the replies. I have since replaced the john hasen plastic heatshield with an ATI generic metal heatshield and it fits like garbage. Ok, it fits ok, but looks sloppy. At first i thought it was a different one which is what i wanted but it was just a general 12g heat shield. No biggie.

I also replaced the front bead sight with a Tru-Glo universal fiber optic sight. So far it seems leaps n bounds better over the brass bead. This one:
http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.p ... TEM_SUBMIT

So, when money prmits im going with this heatshield:
http://www.atigunstocks.com/accessories ... hield.html

And this fiber optic sight:
http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.p ... TEM_SUBMIT

And of course a Houge overmolded forend, i abolsulty LOVE the look of them.

But i am torn between the Speedfeed 1 buttstock or the ATI stock that extended and can change from a fullstock to pistol grip. I just dont like the whole extendable stock look, so i may just get the ATI pistol grip and Speedfeed 1 stock and change em as i please lol. I love the look of the houge pistol grip but the ATI seems better with the recoil grip. But with the pistol grip i loose the extra shell capacity...even though i have the Tacstar side saddle 6 shell holder.

Still undecided on what to do with the light...

flashlight and mount

I am looking for a mount and flashlight for my 500 pursuader. I have the 5+1 tube not the magazine that extends to the end of the barrel. I am looking for a cheap mount and flashlight. any recommendations?

Re: flashlight and mount

Elzetta.com shotgun light mount and a Streamlight Polytac LED flashlight.

004.jpg

Any ideas for shoulder protection?

I shot slugs today through my Mossberg 500. My first thoughts afterwards: "Fun! Ow!" I am a pretty small guy and it was pretty damn painful to shoot five shots. I've got a bad bruise now. Any suggestions on what to do to help out. I will probably start with a recoil pad (can someone suggest a good one?) but is there anything else? I want to use slugs for hog hunting, so it needs to be something I could either wear or put on the gun while hiking through the woods.

Re: Any ideas for shoulder protection?

With or without a recoil pad, proper shooting technique will greatly reduce the effects of recoil. One of the reasons you're getting hit so hard is that you are allowing the weapon to move too much. As the gasses propel the shot forward the butt of the gun is pushed rearward with equal force. You can counter that rearward motion by squaring up behind the gun, pulling the buttstock firmly into your shoulder, and leaning forward into the shot. Your shoulder becomes part of the mechanism instead of an impact zone.

There is also the "Push-Pull" method demonstrated in the video below:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4[/youtube]

All that said, a Limbsaver recoil pad will greatly reduce the ouch factor. They claim a 70% recoil reduction, but from my own personal experience it takes all of the pain out of the equation. It makes shooting full power loads out of my 590a1 feel like a pillow fight. Their model 10201 will fit all standard 5 3/16" synthetic stocks...

Limbsaver Recoil Pad: Model 10201

There is also a slip-on model. The small will fit your 500 as well as your Mosin...

Limbsaver Slip-On Recoil Pad

You weren't sitting at a bench when you shot your 500, were you? Common mistake. It's absolutely punishing.

What slug ammo were you shooting?

Did you have your right elbow raised high, with 60-79 percent of your weight forward on your front foot while standing?

I was indeed sitting at a bench with my weight forward. I shot some Winchester Rifled Slugs and Federal Reduced Recoil, which was slightly better, but still painful (They were the boxes you gave me. I wanted to see how I did at 50 yards with beaded sites before I use it for hog hunts) I also shot some buckshot.

I will have to look into that LES. The Mosin doesn't kick too hard, but it does feel a little uncomfortable with the steel butt on it. It is good to know that there is a slip on recoiled pad that will work for both guns. Thanks!

slip on stock pads have been well known to work.

I got one of these for my wife's 500:

18-1155-IMG1.jpeg

Installed on the gun, you almost can't tell it's there (mechanism is hidden within the stock). It pretty much eliminates transferred recoil. The gun definitely still moves, but the internal spring(s) eats up most of the recoil before it gets to your shoulder. Wife really likes it, I was fine with the original stock, but I think it's pretty trick too. It's called a Compstock and I bought mine off of ebay for about $80.

You do have to watch your hand position, on the stock, since your hand is likely to travel with the stock and pop you in the nose. :) Ask me how I know. :D Take care. Tom Worthington.

Thanks guys, I think I will get a slip on recoil pad. That way I could use it on my Mosin also and I think it will help con vice my fiancee to shoot the 500. She has complaints about most of my guns (with the exceptions being my XD and my .22 Ruger MKIII) and I may have to give in and buy her an AK-47... Not that I am complaining that she wants one ;)

A Limbsaver brand pad...do not get the pachmyer....absolute junk. And I would advise you to get at least 2 pads. less maneuvering with the gun. They can be a little tight, and if you keep pulling them on & off, they might eventually rip.
I have a pachmyer. why I still have it, idk. it just sits in my closet....
I have 3 limbsaver pads too....and those are dedicated to my 835, Saiga, & the Ithaca 37.

Back