• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Accessories...

Re: positioning light clamp?

I'm not using a remote switch.

I am using a simple momentary light that allows me to hit it with my thumb, or turn the rear cap so it's on all the time.

That's what works best for me.

Although it would be handy to have a clicky switch so I could bump it with my thumb to turn it on and leave it on instead of removing my hand to physically turn the cap as it is now.

What I like about a light on a SD shotgun, As a buddy of mine once said: "If it's lit, it's hit"

Even a very small light can (in some cases) be used under the barrel and in-line with the magazine.

shotgun_light.jpg

Yeah, I like that look, you don't have to worry as much about how you put your gun down AND lights that blind a target can be an asset but many people do not realize that a little light can go a long way!

NitSite, thats really cool!

Found the one I was lookin for, this is what I have set up currently;

100_6286Small.jpg

Thanks man!

I'll tell ya what I dont like about the Coast tail cap switch though;
While it still has the momentary switch, so you can use either the pressure tape switch or the tail cap, I'm not crazy about the wire. I've seen the coiled type, which seemed like a heavier gauge wire too.

If the Coast remote pressure tape wire were that style, I'd pretty much be in love with it! :D

Otherwise, I'm totally happy with it, everything else about it is solid and the way its set up, the light is as close to the muzzle as you can get to reduce shadow without goin to a set up like you posted above. This works very well and I havent handled it delicately.

Re: Mossberg 500 Pump Action Forends

I wish that Mossberg made a lighted forend for the 20 gauge. I would buy 2 for both of my 500's

Well, my 500 has a Hogue 12" LOP stock, 18.5 barrel, and magazine-mounted Streamlight TLR1 light.

I thought my simple little gun was about perfect for its intended purpose.

However the peer pressure to add stuff to my gun kicked in and now I have some new tactical accessories to mount; First, I got a new tactical recoil-reducing gimbal-mount cup holder from Beerhunter that I plan to mount on the sidesaddle mount on the receiver. Next, unless I can find a better mounting system on the internet, my bluetooth-enabled IPod will have to go on a full-length Picatinny rail and my concealed-carry loudspeakers and subwoofer will now go in my tactical backpack or possibly in my tactical American Flyer coaster wagon.

Of course the foregoing is just a spoof but sometimes think we might be at risk of falling into the "Barbie Doll" syndrome.

I think a HD shotgun should be lightweight, easy to use, and as uncomplicated as possible.

That is what makes my little Mossberg so great.

I'd like to see pictures of the cup holder... I am jealous ;) hahah

Welcome to the forums and we can sometimes get sucked in to the aftermarket world, such as I have... I certainly have haha buuuut that is what makes the firearms community and world so GREAT! SO MANY TOYS!!!

Mike,

That's it!

I do appreciate the value of functional upgrades.

However, some add-ons seem more dress-up than function oriented.

For example, how many shots must be fired in rapid fire to heat a barrel to the point were a heat shield in necessary? Most of us won't need one.

I love the poster!

Thanks for that.

To me, the quote in my sig line applies to your choice in firearm accessories as well.

The only issue I see is when new or inexperienced shooters sign up after buying their first shotgun they can confuse all these personal "upgrades" with functional improvements. How many times have we seen new shooters "upgrading" their shotgun before they take it out to the range for a test fire. I'm all for accessories and an individual's right to add whaterver they want to their weapons, but I also believe strongly in becoming familiar with your weapon's basic mechanics before determining what needs to be added or changed...

The best advice I can offer to anyone is this.

Whatever you add to your gun, train with it. You don't want to be fumbling around looking for the light switch or off in your aim because the ext tube changed the balance of the gun off when the SHTF.

Also if you add an accessory to help you at night, make sure you can manipulate it and trouble shoot it in the dark.

That makes sense.

I can see the value in selecting a grip/stock set up so the gun fits the shooter and is suitable for the intended use. A gun that fits is an accurate gun.

Similarly, I can see a light for HD gun. It doubles as a sight at close range and it also lets you get a good look at the "intruder" so you don't make an irrevocable mistake in the dark.

High capacity magazine tubes, maybe for LE but, for my civilian use, they just add weight forward and make a gun slow to point.

Folding stocks and pistol grips allow a gun to be carried in a can or truck and ready for use. However, folding stocks can "bite" the shooter's cheek and pistol grips can reduce accuracy so it is a trade-off. I like a short LOP because it can be aimed or not and it is small enough for ease of movement so it seems like a good compromise.

Bayonets? Pure fantasy stuff, IMHO. They add a lot of weight forward and make a gun slow to point. In addition, an "aggressive" appearing weapon can carry socolocigal baggage; If there is ever a third-party review of a situation where the gun is used, it could look bad to the jury.

That said, the 500 is indeed a versitile platform.

I like aftermarket stuff that works, for me. Some stuff is dress up, icing. Some is marketing, very genius marketing.

If I had a say in it, id say fire the gun and add what makes it fit and work more ergonomically for you. But I don't. Its your goat and you're the only one feedin it, you can dress it up however you want.

I'm actually at a point with mine I'm havin to question a couple things I'm usin. I'm never satisfied with slings and I genuinely like each of the three I've used thus far, each for a different reason. Each has drawbacks too. Right now its the wrap that goes around the stock. Before it was was the receiver end plate adapter for the sling point.

Anyway, just little stuff like that. Its sorta an evolving project, I try stuff and make changes as I go to achieve a better fit or better function. It has to look good too though! ;)

I knew I had pushed it too far when the Air Popper and Juicer were causing my GPS controlled trolling motor and surround sound to loose power too quickly. :ugeek:

I've honestly tried a lot of stuff over the years but I find that most of it I don't "need" I try to keep it simple now and not add anythign I don't need for whatever the mission is for that gun. But I admit, it's still fun to play.

I agree with Rossi, most setups evolve into what you want over time as you try and different things and find what works and what doesn't.

The Brownell's safety button is a simple thing but it sure made it easier to work the safety on my 500.

That is the kind of improvement I like best.

Dave 02 1200 said:
The Brownell's safety button is a simple thing but it sure made it easier to work the safety on my 500.

That is the kind of improvement I like best.

Updated safety buttons are MikeD approved! LOL

Back