• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

Re: My new build

I don't know specifically but 14"-14.5" is typically considered normal with 12"-13" considered short.

Thanks. That Aimpro sounds cheap. I couldn't find a listing on there site, did they offer it for sale?

Found it. The link I used didn't have the pop up. Ordered the 13" LOP, same price as the 12"LOP. The XS big dot went on back order until after Thanksgiving, any other option you would recommend?

There are two different options.

One is a simple thread-in bead replacement and the other is for a dove-tail GRS blade...

Just got an email from Aimpro. No go on the stock, they only have them with their logo. I guess I will have to make the 12" one work.

Returning to my roots..."The 500"

Hey everyone! Haven't spent a whole lot of time lurking, but I thought I'd introduce myself! Apologies in advance... it could get lengthy.

Let's put all the cards out on the table first... I'm not actually in possession of a Mossberg shotgun :shock: ...as of now. Just ordered a spanking new Persuader/cruiser model from Gallery of Guns so it should be in my hands within a couple weeks. And I know you're asking yourself "Why is this dude posting on the forum if he doesn't even own one"? Well, it's not my first go-around at the 500, neither is it my first shotgun ;) . I just came to my senses is all!!!! My first "scattergun" was essentially the same model I just purchased... blued version instead of parked, no frills ( just changed out the stock to a Hogue 12" LOP) and I loved it... but my urge for other fun-gun-stuff kicked in and I let her go in order to fund another project.

I've spent a good amount of time behind the 870 for work, and she deserves every bit of my respect and I would trust my life with an 870 any day. But the 500 just does it for me... obvious differences between the two aside... Mossbergs just fit and feel better for me, my shooting style and comfort. I also recently owned a Rock Island Armory M5 12 gauge ($189 at a local pawn shop) which for the price was actually a decent gun. It had a jeweled bolt that allowed it to drop freely when the action lock was pressed...but... it just didn't have the same qualities I was used to. My main issue was that the carrier didn't feed rounds reliable when pumping. Shells would get lodged between the bolt and the bottom of barrel durning faster manipulation of the action. It also did not break down as easily as the 500 (or 870 for that matter) so I decided to let her find a new home and go back to my roots!

Here's the plan guys:
I want this to be a speedy 500. I love being able to unload the 7 shot tube in a matter of seconds... while still maintaining accuracy and control. All the modifications I plan to make will be follow those three principles (speed, accuracy and control). As I settle back into the platform, I will no doubt make changes to my plan but here's what I'm thinking:

1. Loose the pistol grip and heat shield it will come with (I'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S)

2. Create a 13" LOP stock ( the Hogue was a little too short for me) by modifying the original and using a Limbsaver Speedmount

3. Ergo forend to allow utilization of a

4...Magpul AVG2 and a

5...Hand stop (any brands recommended?)

6. Simple buttstock shell holder. I'm not sold on a side saddle...yet

7. Maybe a red dot sight...but this would go against my K.I.S.S :roll: we'll see

8. Trigger work by Bill Springfield (or myself, I have worked on other triggers with success)

9. LOTS of practice time :twisted:

I appreciate everyone's input, and those of you putting info out on YouTube for the rest of us to pour through. I promise that pictures will follow once I've got my new old friend back in hands!

-Chris

Re: Returning to my roots..."The 500"

Welcome to the forum aksavanaman.

Owning, or possessing, a Mossberg it not a requirement. ;)

I too spent a lot of time behind an 870 before picking up a mossberg.

AK has been a dream destination for me for as long as I can remember. (So if it totally sucks up there, don't tell me :lol: )

Look forward to seeing how your project comes together.

Welcome aboard!

Like Mike said, Mossberg or not we just like talkin about and lookin at guns. I too am lookin forward to the progress with your new 500 and seeing your range report after you've had a chance to send a few down range. In the meantime, take a look around the site and feel free to jump in on the conversation anywhere...

- L.E.S.

Thanks for the welcoms guys! Mike... Alaska is horrible, I mean just awful! You can hunt deer, elk moose, bear etc. in winter ... fish for 50lbs King, Red and Silver Salmon in the summer, hike from sea level to peaks of mountains on the same day. Oh and worst of all, gun and shooting restrictions are sooo loose.... pretty much the worst state ever! :D I went to high school on the east coast, living in suburbia-soccer mom-drama and overcrowded towns. Needless to say, NOT MY CUP OF TEA! I fell in love with AK the second I got up here, and hopefully I'll never have to leave!

Sniper, I'll definitely be pocking my head around and it seems like there's a good amount of knowledge to learn from. This time around I am curious as to what the mossberg is capable of as far as accuracy goes. Obviously I understand the limitations of a shotgun, but it's always fun to try and push things to see what it can do. :twisted:

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to Mossberg!
The 500 is my favorite platform.
I have a safe full of shotguns, various makes, models and actions. I also have 4 500's!
2 12's a 20 and a .410.
LOVE THEM!
North East guy here and I know what you are talking about.
Me and my Pit were in a a pet store yesterday and started talking to a guy in uniform about hunting. He is heading to AK for a 4 year hitch. He was so looking forward to it, he made me jealous...LOL!
He figures that he will never be coming back.

aksavanaman said:
Sniper, I'll definitely be pocking my head around and it seems like there's a good amount of knowledge to learn from. This time around I am curious as to what the mossberg is capable of as far as accuracy goes. Obviously I understand the limitations of a shotgun, but it's always fun to try and push things to see what it can do. :twisted:

Wait, shotguns have limitations?

I love squeezing every bit of accuracy out of my firearms and I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do.

Oh, and if you're lookin for knowledge, be sure to steer clear of my posts! :lol:

Aimpro has a 13" LOP Hogue stock, it just has their logo on. This why I passed. There are in stock, I checked.

Didn't know they made a 13" LOP, thanks for the info! Well, if my homebrew stock doesn't turn out I can always come back to hogue. I've got high hopes for my garage work frankenstein stock though ;)

Back