• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

Re: Custom work on my 500

Very nice. Makes me want to go buy another shotgun so I can put wood on it. Seriously, I view shotguns like I do .22's. You can never have too many and putting different furniture on it is simply creating a new variant. :D

Re: Returning to my roots..."The 500"

I'm still waiting for pictures :) haha

Like I said, some Members can attest to the fact that the AFG helps certain situations. Both the AFG and AFG2 are personal preferences as are any other parts to add on a rail :) haha I liked it I think it would be nice to try one on an AR platform, but I don't have an AR :( I personally feel that I was more stable with the AFG2... for the record, the AFG1 is thicker than the AFG2 may fill your hand better

Re: Custom work on my 500

Nice work man,looks good! I'm late but welcome to MO!

I have the AFG on my 590A1. My arthritis is bad enough some days, I can't rotate my hand palm up to cycle the action, I find myself resting the forend on the top of my hand.

The AFG changed the angle enough I can grip it and still cycle the pump and it hasn't caused any more stress or aggravated my hand any further.

^ Same here.

I've got issues with both my wrists and the AFG/AFG2 provide a lot of relief...

aksavanaman said:
Corelogik said:
Right. I've seen them cropping up. On AR's first then AK's now I'm seeing them on Shotguns. It's just one of those parts I don't understand the purpose of. I understand what their supposed to do, but I just fail to see how their that much better than existing solutions.

Kind of like some people view heat shields I guess. As I said though, if it works for you or who ever has them, more power to them.

I can definitely see you point. I have no issues using the stock forend, and from what I noticed by trying different forarms, I actually like the trimmer feel of the stock/hogue. On the flip side, something like the AVG could help with the ergonomics of pumping. I definitely don't understand a vertical foregrip on a shotgun (or other firearms) since it the position of your hand is counterproductive to stability... IMHO of course. The AVG didn't work for me...I found it to be a little small and didn't like the way it felt... so I'm going to try a pair of hand stops from larue to see how they work with stability ergonomics.

Hopefully I'll have the decals in the mail today so I can finish my painting project!!!! :) and the LaRue's are on their way.

I've got VFG's on my SKS and one of my 10/22's. I understand those, they put your hands into a position they would be in if you were in a generic fighting stance. I can grab the front of my VFG with part of my hand on the fore arm and part on the grip and do essentially the same thing as an AFG, while maintaining more options.

I also don't subscribe to the "over the top" thing either. Where you wrap your thumb OVER the top of the weapon. If you believe the "experts" this position is supposed to be more ergonomic since your "pointing" your hand in the direction of fire. To me, it just feels like I'm hyper extending the tendons in my hand.

But, as said, to each their own.

Love the snakeskin pattern!!!!
I have painted 2 of my 500's.
In the future I will have to try out this technique!
Also I am extremely jealous of your shooting range!!!!

Those decals should be coming in today!!! so I'll be paintin' by tonight. LTB45, this was the first time i've tried it and I'm excited how the final draft will turn out. It really was as simple as draping a laundry bag... nothing fancy :)

Nice work! Both of you!

As for the Vertical Fore-grip, I have tried and experimented with the same concept.. It just wasn't the same as having a solid platform behind my hand. I felt like my hand was pinched between 2 points and wanted to form a crescent shape. Personal Preference again!

Re: My new build

Just and update the stock, safety, and sight have arrived. The sling mount was shipped and is lost some where thanks to Sandy. I hope to get the parts installed and pics to follow.

Okay well an update for me as well, I ended up getting a Hi-viz snap on Green Sight from Dunhams. I got it free through a store promotion for buying $25 of ammunition for my shotgun :)

Awesome sight, very bright! Easy installation, it is hard to get centered for sure, but once you get it on, I think it will stay put!

DSC_0969.jpg

Hogue 12"LOP stock and forend
DSC_0970.jpg

Elite tactical safety
DSC_0971.jpg

Marbel Arms tritium sight
The GG&G mount showed today also.
This my basic HD weapon. I think I will go with a velcro side saddle, either a 3Gun or Esstac.

Well here we go... First I gave the stock a little bit of sanding to give the paint a place to adhere. Then I used some good old blue painters tape, taped off the overmolding and put my decal on
DSC_0075.jpg

Then came a 3 coats of Rustoleum camouflage tan, and a few sprays of brown with my laundry bag
DSC_0077-1.jpg

...off comes the decal to reveal the black stock
DSC_0079.jpg

After that were 3 coast of satin clear coat, and stock reinstalled :D
DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

I'm very pleased with the outcome.. didn't even notice that the spartan helmet matches the MO symbol ;) I don't mind not having the overmold painted, which would've been a pain in the a** down the road. I had sprayed the xtm rails a while ago, and just added a layer of brown "spit". it all matches pretty well and gives this 500 a new face. Now we're just waiting for those handstops to come in (which I ordered in the same FDE color).

Lookin good Sir,

I can vouch for the ESSTAC cards, they're top quality. You'll just need to spend about $5 on some industrial strength velcro and you're good to go...

Back