• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Moss 500 cycling issue

It should not be able to fire.

Still, make sure the business end stays pointed in a safe direction at all times. Can you push out the trigger housing pin and pull out the trigger assembly? This will loosen things up in there...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
It should not be able to fire.

Still, make sure the business end stays pointed in a safe direction at all times. Can you push out the trigger housing pin and pull out the trigger assembly? This will loosen things up in there...

ha, never thought of that. Yeah, that took care of it. you're a LIFE SAVER. Literally

I had a similar issue with my 500. I pushed one shell back into the tube which allowed me to get the other shell out of the receiver. I ended up replacing my old design cartridge interrupter with the new design. Your friend might want to look into that if he keeps having that problem

...or he could just stop trying to use the wrong length shells in his shotgun... ;)

Hey everyone, I know I asked earlier last week about this but I am really having trouble removing my mag tube... I did the "put some sack into it" and some "hair dryer on high for a length of time" but neither have worked... especially putting some "sack into it" :lol: :lol:

I let the forward section of the receiver in the direct heat of the hair dryer for 10 minutes and still nothing. I couldn't even get an 1/8 of a turn outta the tube.. Any thing I am doing wrong or need to try?

Try spraying some CLP or whatever type of cleaner/solvent you use around the outside of the mag tube where it meets the receiver. Let it seap down into the threads overnight and give the solvent a chance to work on the locking compound. Then try more heat and sack tomorrow... :D

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Then try more heat and sack tomorrow... :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ROGER! lol Your advice is greatly appreciated, sir! I have some CLP sitting right next to it I shall let it have a good bath for the night :D

,,,another old trick to breakup loctite is to place parts in a pot of boiling water.

That is a huge ass pot... and a lot of water in tiny places.. lol

Last ditch effort perhaps, thank you for the idea though

Itsricmo said:
Hey everyone, I know I asked earlier last week about this but I am really having trouble removing my mag tube... I did the "put some sack into it" and some "hair dryer on high for a length of time" but neither have worked... especially putting some "sack into it" :lol: :lol:

I let the forward section of the receiver in the direct heat of the hair dryer for 10 minutes and still nothing. I couldn't even get an 1/8 of a turn outta the tube.. Any thing I am doing wrong or need to try?

DUDE! You you heated up your mag tube & then put your @#$% into it!?! I never seen that one on Nickelodeon's Mr. Wizard show, sounds like a weird science project to me.

Try this,
First remove your #@$% from the tube & then throw it in a padded vise as close to the receiver as possible & be conscious not to pinch tube too hard. Make sure to remove the guts of the receiver & then use some real heat, like a heat gun or propane torch. If using a torch, stuff it into the bottom of the receiver as if you loading a shell. That way your not torching your finish. Focus a controlled flame (not full blast) on where the threads would be until u can smell/or see the glue smoking.. Shut flame OFF. It shouldn't need to be glowing red hot. Then very cafully twist the receiver, being aware to only twist it along the bore axis of the tube if you know what im saying. I don't know how fragile these mag tubes are so that's why i say be conscious of how u twist it.

If you don't have a vise, use channel locks with a padding of sorts.. Again keeping them as close to the receiver as possible. Heat & try to turn.

If you don't have channel locks, try fitting a deep socket in the end of it, one that is just a C-hair smaller than the tube itself, then wrap it in duct tape making it slightly too big to fit, hammer it in gently but nice & tight, heat as described & try to ratchet it out. Then hammer out socket.

If you don't have sockets, try using a pipe wrench/strap wrench with padding where any sort of metal will touch tube & dent. Use the heating technique i described unless you got a better way. Then stick the receiver in the vise or hold with gloves, heat, strap, turn. Actually.. yeah dude.. this might be the easiest way, the strap wenches are pretty inexpensive over @home cheapo.. Buy it & return it if you want.

Also, i don't know whether its a reverse thread..maybe that's why your sack aint cutting it.

If all else fails, IDK what else to tell ya other than if you cant keep em' in your pants keep em' in your gun i guess?? Hmm..Maybe thats why they made mag tube exts.. Haha..

Hope that helps dude,

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

lol I enjoy your sense of humor! ;) I don't have a vice but my Land Lord has a nice big pair of channel locks that would do the job just right and I think I can get one of those pipe wrench thingy-majiggers to loop around the tube... maybe applying force in both directions would help!

I am a little uneasy about the torch lol... heat gun is a little better then the Hair Dryer and not quite as dangerous as the torch :p

Itsricmo said:

Did ya try hitting it with your purse, Nancy?

Confused but I will give that a try lol... I should add that in the way of tools, I have essentials and usually barrow the more exotic tools. Vice Grips and such aren't used by me often, same as channel locks and torches lol :p

I'll see what can be done tomorrow :)

Itsricmo said:
lol I enjoy your sense of humor! ;) I don't have a vice but my Land Lord has a nice big pair of channel locks that would do the job just right and I think I can get one of those pipe wrench thingy-majiggers to loop around the tube... maybe applying force in both directions would help!

I am a little uneasy about the torch lol... heat gun is a little better then the Hair Dryer and not quite as dangerous as the torch :p

Itsricmo said:
Confused but I will give that a try lol... I should add that in the way of tools, I have essentials and usually barrow the more exotic tools. Vice Grips and such aren't used by me often, same as channel locks and torches lol :p

I'll see what can be done tomorrow :)

Exotic...? Dangerous...? We aint talking bout using dynamite bro... It aint rocket science either bud..LOL! These are just normal tools that can be found in anyone's man cave..
Realistically, this is all you need.. No appendages or anything just a few regular tools...LOL.

qydezu4a.jpg

Confused??
When i was talking about a vise i was talking about a bench top vise, not vise grips (you should however use ''vise-grips'' to grab the mag tube). Disassemble the gun, drop by a buddies house with a vise, clamp the gun by the receiver upside down & proceed to burn his house down with the dangerous tools!

2usasyhu.jpg

Grab the PROPANE TORCH! This has the perfect angled stem for this project & is way more precise than a heat gun. A heat gun expells a wide band of heat you will not be able to direct. I know i suggested it but just use the torch.

ajyjura7.jpg

When you use it, just barley stick the tip inside the mag tube. See how the torch's stem has the perfect angle?

a5upy4ep.jpg

a5amy7y7.jpg

Take the vise-grips/strap-wrench with some padding & clamp it near to the receiver. Do not crush the tube!

9a2e2u8u.jpg

usezere7.jpg

With the torch & a controlled but useful flame, heat in a sweeping motion, back n' forth, back n' forth so the flame will cover the area of where the threads would be. Do it for about 5-10 seconds at first.

abyja5yt.jpg

yhapene8.jpg

Don't get the panties in a bunch over the flame... you'll be just fine... See...? This is it after flaming it & I didn't even remove my guts.. But you should just to be on the safe side, im just proving a point.

ejare4yg.jpg

When u smell the glue, try to turn it. Figuring out the thread pattern & whether its reverse or regular is on you as Im not sure about that one & I aint disassembling to find out. Once you figure that out & walk through the process, if it doesn't come out try again but torch it for a few more seconds then the first time.

If you cant find vise grips or channel locks, just use the same process but put the mag tube in the bench vise instead of the receiver, heat tube & twist receiver.

Still confused... have your G/F do it for you...:p And for the love of god, stop putting your sack in into the tube!! You'll end like Ben Stiller in "Something about Mary'' w/your beans on top of the frank...!!!

Later Ricmo..
Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

lol I was not confused by you lol. Tim has me a little confused about the purse :p I don't know if I am missing a Nancy Pelosi joke or what....

As for "exotic" I was looking at it from my view point of not having them readily available. I know what they all are and their functions haha... I did manage to get state certified as a Machinist.. I should know some standard shop tools ;) What I am afraid with the Torch is heating the receiver to much and it warping or melting the follower.. it is plastic isn't it?

I believe the tube is threaded in good ole normal style :p No goofy reverse threads but I will find out won't I haha

Itsricmo said:
lol I was not confused by you lol. Tim has me a little confused about the purse :p I don't know if I am missing a Nancy Pelosi joke or what....

As for "exotic" I was looking at it from my view point of not having them readily available. I know what they all are and their functions haha... I did manage to get state certified as a Machinist.. I should know some standard shop tools ;) What I am afraid with the Torch is heating the receiver to much and it warping or melting the follower.. it is plastic isn't it?

I believe the tube is threaded in good ole normal style :p No goofy reverse threads but I will find out won't I haha

Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosy.

Back