• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: New 500 Flex Issue with Chambering Shell

OUTSTANDING!

Good to see that Mossberg is making this right. Keep us posted and let us know if you have any more questions along the way...

Problems with my 500 disassembly

Hello everyone, first time poster.

I recently found this site after purchasing a 500 tactical. I was going to disassemble and clean/oil before taking it out to shoot.

However while disassembling the ATI collapsible stock that came with the gun I could not remove the separator. Am I doing something wrong? Doesn't this bolt have to be removed to remove the trigger housing? :oops:

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 422
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 422
Re: Problems with my 500 disassembly

welcome from NY. if the bolt you are talking about holds on the stock,no it dosen't need to come out.
there is a 3/16 drift pin that holds the trigger assembly. check out this video,it will show you it all.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26

Hello Mossy. I have removed the pin but the assembly will not come out. I am assuming that the pistol grip has something to do with this and needs to be removed before I can take the assembly out. Anyone with the ATI stock know about this?

im not familiar with that stock. i'm sure another member will be along that is shortly.

I've not done a complete teardown on mine since I put the ATI stock on and can't remember if the receiver end of the triton mount covers the "tail" of the trigger guard or not. Mine is upstairs......I'll have the wife bring it down to me in a few hours when she gets home, unless someone can give you a better answer before then. Either way, the large bolt you are showing in your pic is simply holding the triton mount to the receiver so removing it is no big deal, it'll probably be loctited and torqued down by the hand of God though....so you may need to put on your big-boy pants to get it off. Seems to me the stock bolts are always either fall-out loose or just short of breaking tight.

Thanks for the input. I have bent my wrench trying to get that sucker off! I'm not a little fella either and yikes is that sucker in there...

Yeah.....things can be a bit snug sometimes. I'd also suggest putting a bit of heat on the bolt with a heatgun or hair dryer to help break it loose. My guess is somebody used the red loctite when they put that stock on instead of the blue stuff....lol.

Was that the stock that was on the gun when you bought it? I didn't think Mossberg was using the new ATI Triton mount stocks from the factory....

chaseuk02 said:
Thanks for the input. I have bent my wrench trying to get that sucker off! I'm not a little fella either and yikes is that sucker in there...

one other thing,,,did you try moving the forend back and forth a little each way and see if this lets is release?

I'll give it a try Mossy.

The 500 did come with the ATI collapsible stock and pistol grip right out of the box. It also has the tri-rail foregrip.

I recently bought a 590 and the first time I removed the trigger group it took some force to remove it off course after removing the trigger pin. It also helps to know that to remove it on a pivoting arc with the stock on your left gun barrel down, pull up and to the right. After the first time it got easier.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

chaseuk02 said:
I'll give it a try Mossy.

The 500 did come with the ATI collapsible stock and pistol grip right out of the box. It also has the tri-rail foregrip.

i was wondering how you did with the trigger group?

Unfortunately I cannot get it out. That bolt is not budging. I tried a hair dryer and more force but nothing.

I cannot remove the trigger assembly without removing that bolt (or so I am thinking)

Anyone else have any ideas? I really hate to take it to a gunsmith or send it back to Mossberg but I am starting to think those are my only options.

i would try spraying it up with some liquid wrench or such.then get a allen socket same size as the allen wrench.3/8" drive. use a 12" extension and give it a few good taps while its in the bolt.then try with a ratchet to loosen it. just remember the receiver is aluminum,don't hit it too hard.
i've done this with a lot of stubborn bolts. also you are trying to turn it counter clockwise?

Great suggestion on the tapping!

That usually does the trick...

chaseuk02,

Try tapping it with a hammer. If that doesnt work try a bigger hammer. If that doesnt work, you have an electrical problem.

All kidding aside, try what LES said. My 500 Tactical was the same way. I had to use a 1/2 drive socket wrench with an extension and allen bit. Tapped a little with the extension/bit (place the allen attachment on the extension, place the allen bit into the bolt, then tap on the end of the extension) then added the wrench, and tapped the handle a few times and it broke free. Good luck.

Frank

YES!!! :D :D :cool:

Y'all are the best. The hammer trick did just that...it came loose with a mighty pop. Finally was able to get it torn down, cleaned & oiled and put back together. I've got a tac light coming for her along with a side saddle. I figure the least I could do is share some pictures once I get it all put together.

A big thanks to everyone who replied and lended their help. I was about to take it to a gunsmith.

good news.... so the bolt that holds on the grip was hitting the trigger assembly?
if is was ,i would take a small washer and put it on that bolt so it won't hit the trigger assembly.
also clean that bolt good.

Back